Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 2878996 times)

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +168/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #5120 on: February 08, 2016, 12:49:37 pm »
I need to get the garage floor cleaned up before I do anything with the cars.  The floor doesn't slope towards the center drain anymore, so all the slush and melting snow is pooling on the floor. Guess I gotta go buy a squeegee and push it outside.

... "anymore"...  ???

Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #5121 on: February 08, 2016, 12:55:58 pm »
Yeah, in the 80s garages in my neighbourhood had floor drains in the concrete floors.  They've all heaved just enough by now that water doesn't flow towards the drain anymore.  Nobody had drains built in the 90s or 2000s, but they seem to be making a comeback in newer construction.  I don't heat my garage, and I'm sure the previous homeowners didn't either....I wonder if that would have made a difference.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1071
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #5122 on: February 08, 2016, 01:35:18 pm »
^

:thumbup:
TA looks fantastic.

I gave the Crosstrek a spit shine on the weekend as well.  Even swept out the garage. 
Spring is here!    Err. maybe not...

Thanks guys. I've been driving it through the winter, but I've had enough test cars around that I've managed to avoid driving it in wet salt - although at this point it's all in the air anyway. No issues to report, and I am looking forward to getting it down to Ohio for T/A Nationals this summer....Not too shabby for a $2000 car.
Sonoma wheels grew on me, they look ok for the winter....and they were just sitting around anyway, I like putting use to junk. I bought new summer tires recently (Falken 912's) and will get them on the GTA mesh rims when spring breaks.

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #5123 on: February 08, 2016, 02:03:34 pm »
^^ The T/A looks great!

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #5124 on: February 09, 2016, 04:23:19 pm »
This is why I wash my car on a regular basis.  Any questions?   ;D

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #5125 on: February 09, 2016, 04:24:57 pm »

Looks nice, without snow, car really hasn't needed a wash! 

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #5126 on: February 09, 2016, 04:52:12 pm »
Yes. Question: How often do you change your licence plate  ;D

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #5127 on: February 09, 2016, 10:02:49 pm »
Yes. Question: How often do you change your licence plate  ;D

https://youtu.be/ZFrze9eY9o0?t=15s

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #5128 on: February 10, 2016, 11:15:51 am »

Looks great!  Both of mine look like your before pic at the moment... :(
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #5129 on: February 11, 2016, 04:13:13 pm »
finally got the Saab to run right after a few visits to the shop, was a wonky coil pack and perhaps a TB sensor. Now she pulls like a train again  :skid:
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
2015 VW Golf TDI base, rental review
« Reply #5130 on: February 12, 2016, 02:03:34 pm »
Dropped my car off at Volkswagen to get the rear hatch repaired for rust.   Warranty~!

got a MK7 Golf Diesel base loaner car.

holy cow.

i have it for a week, so i'll post review at some point.

Looking forward to your comments on my dd!

Can't sell 'em, so it seems some end up in loaner fleets! My Honda dealership did this with Civic Hybrids, due to no one buying them.

so i've been driving this thing for about a week.  (well, 4 business days)

in 4 words :  i am a fan.

in few more words :
+'s  :  it feels so much more solid than my MK5 (as it should), it makes my MK5 feel like a last gen Civic...
+noise is better suppressed.  sometimes, i can't even hear the diesel cranking, and with windows up, i don't even have to turn up the stereo, i can still hear the songs at highway speed.
+ride is so well damped, i wonder how they do it.
+interior is very well put together and all the buttons and knobs feel expensive.  heavy.  (except turn signal.  it feels cheaper than the one i have in MK5)
+++  :  so much torque.  it scoots so hard in low~mid range, and transmission shifts up lightening fast.  midrange on this may even hit heavier than my M3 at 5k RPM...  ..bimmer's probably bit more violent due to shorter gearing, but i have little down this could keep up until 70~ ish...

C&D called it the benz of economy car (or something similar) and you can see why.

but it ain't perfect .  not so much negatives, but idiosyncrasies perhaps?
-  seats aren't as comfy as mine.  this is the base TDI seats.  sports seats are fine.
- Stereo volume stays loud after a re-start of the car if you had it loud before you shut it down.    current one always start at a low volume, and i kinda like that if i was cranking out volume on my way home, but start the car again 6 in the morning, it isn't blaring music like i'm deaf...
- engine/trans combo  lugs in town.  at 50 km/h, it's churning 1200 rpm and feels like the engine is lugging.
-Transmission : downshift to 2nd gear slowing down and then accelerating, it ALWAYS lurches...and because of turbo diesel , power kicks in half step after transmission is engaged... or maybe it's DSG programming?..
-Transmission : coming to a stop, it clatters right when we are about 10 and below?..   doesn't feel like it's fully disenaged if i leave it in gear at a stop light.  extra vibration.
-tire/handling : tackle curve a little hot and sort of loses composure for a second... comes back, but this feels more due to tires than anything.
-steering : little too light for me.

-overall, i think the DSG doesn't do it for me on this car.

Here you go, my impression of 2015 VW Golf TDI! 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 02:06:55 pm by aquadorhj »

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #5131 on: February 12, 2016, 02:53:15 pm »
Just get the stickshift, problem solved  ;D

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #5132 on: February 12, 2016, 03:43:28 pm »
^ I've read this a few times, the TDI and the DSG aren't the best combo.  The manual is a better fit, but if you commute a lot, especially in gridlock, I wouldnt look at the TDI. 

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #5133 on: February 12, 2016, 08:06:13 pm »
Had a lower-powered TDI and DSG in Europe last time I was over there for a vacation.

I just sticked the transmission into "S" mode. I didn't like "D" mode. Of course, sucks more gas in "S", but overall pretty efficient!

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #5134 on: February 12, 2016, 09:07:21 pm »
Passed 180k today. Man, I rack up serious kms. But the car is lovely, soothing to drive in. Well-built, no major annoyances, and yet is quite the scalpel on the backroads when you ask of it.

I hate the distances in North America, and the lack of viable public transit between cities where I live. Sure, driving the 3er is lovely, but even when I am shuttling 140, 150, 160km/h between destinations, I am always thinking "I just wanna be there already.....ugh still 130km to my destination....."
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #5135 on: February 15, 2016, 08:46:06 am »
Passed 180k today. Man, I rack up serious kms. But the car is lovely, soothing to drive in. Well-built, no major annoyances, and yet is quite the scalpel on the backroads when you ask of it.

I hate the distances in North America, and the lack of viable public transit between cities where I live. Sure, driving the 3er is lovely, but even when I am shuttling 140, 150, 160km/h between destinations, I am always thinking "I just wanna be there already.....ugh still 130km to my destination....."

Wouldn't 180k be pretty average mileage for a 10 year old vehicle?

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #5136 on: February 15, 2016, 09:48:39 am »

Wouldn't 180k be pretty average mileage for a 10 year old vehicle?
It is, but my parents don't drive much. For them, it's to the shops and back a couple times a week. They take the Tiguan more because the dog can go in the cargo area.

A side benefit of the fuel consumption tracker is that it also shows when I'm driving the vehicle versus when it's been in their hands- simply judging by the gaps in the entries.

Since mid december, I've put over 5 000km on the car.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5137 on: February 21, 2016, 12:49:20 pm »
Washed the GTI yesterday.
Love the little bugger...

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #5138 on: February 21, 2016, 01:36:01 pm »
Looks good, julie!

I want to get a hold of whatever the body shop used to wash my rabbit after the hatch repair.  Its still shiny..

Oh and replaced one if tue brake light bulb on the vw yeaterday.

If i recall correctly, this is the FIRST time the brake lights have been replaced....   this vw is literally the most reliable car ive ever owned...

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5139 on: February 21, 2016, 01:51:05 pm »
Looks good, julie!

I want to get a hold of whatever the body shop used to wash my rabbit after the hatch repair.  Its still shiny..

Oh and replaced one if tue brake light bulb on the vw yeaterday.

If i recall correctly, this is the FIRST time the brake lights have been replaced....   this vw is literally the most reliable car ive ever owned...

Interesting. Maybe the Rabbit is a keeper...? Right now, I'm wanting to keep my GTI for as long as she'll hold up...