Author Topic: Anyone from Ottawa purchase tires in the US?  (Read 17695 times)

mar1990

Anyone from Ottawa purchase tires in the US?
« on: April 12, 2009, 07:29:20 pm »
Looks like I need to replace the tires on my car.  US prices seem to be about 40% cheaper than in Canada, so I'd like to investigate going that route.

Does anyone have experience with buying tires in the US?

Did you have them shipped to a Mailbox/location in the US, near the border, and then go and pick them up.  (Thats why I asked about Ottawa.  It won't do me any good if the dropoff is in Detroit or Buffalo).  what kind of setup and costs are involved?

When you brought them through customs, what should I expect for duties.

Who did you get locally to mount the tires?  I can see some of the local dealers not being thrilled about installing tires you bought in the US.

Thanks.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: Anyone from Ottawa purchase tires in the US?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 08:05:06 pm »
Tirerack has an installer in Ogdensburg you get them shipped and installed there and you drive back.

Or get them shipped to the UPS store like you mentioned and then bring them back and get them installed, most places don't care where you got them.

mar1990

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 09:48:19 pm »
Thanks,

I googled "ups store ogdensburg ny tires".

It listed out quite a few results of what I was looking for.
Someone also suggested filling out the tire vendor's online form to see what shipping to Canada would be.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 09:51:36 pm »
Tirerack has an installer in Ogdensburg you get them shipped and installed there and you drive back.

Or get them shipped to the UPS store like you mentioned and then bring them back and get them installed, most places don't care where you got them.

The guy's name is Wayne.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 07:33:57 am »

Who did you get locally to mount the tires? 

Are you saving any money if you drive to the USA, pay duties when bringing them back and then paying somebody to install the tires ($15/corner?). Don't forget to factor in your time into this also.

On the Tirerack site you can enter your postal code for a delivery quote, it does everything including duties so what you see is what you pay. Don't forget the convert the US$ to CDN$ as the exchange isn't the best right now.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +234/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 08:31:52 am »
I had mine shipped to Burlington Vt. and installed while I was there. 

This was back when the exchange was better than par and I think all told it came out to around $500.  With the current exchange rates I'd be surprised if the savings would be worth the hassle.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 09:12:04 am »
If you lived close to border it would not be bad, or you doing a run to States for other things
For me it is at least a 2 hour drive to get to the border, not really worth it

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 09:39:59 am »
Given the exchange rate and the huge extra cost of shipping (around 3x US shipping last time I bought from Tirerack) to Canada I think it only makes sense if you are close enough to easily run down to the border and pick them up. I bought 4 tires last month and saved about $200 but I'm only an hour from the border and my wife wanted some odds and ends from the grocery store anyway so the trip had more than one purpose.

In that case freight to the Maine border was $63 and the charges to Saint John NB would have been around $175.

In terms of duties....  The 3 times I've brought tires back I've never been charged anything other than 13% HST regardless of where the tires were made.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 10:09:36 am »
If you don't want to go through the UPS store a more friendly place in Ogdensburg is the http://www.corp-center.com/  They hold it longer and don't charge very much.  Phone in your info as it's just a little cheaper than  going through the website.
They have tons of tires going through their shop.  I think they charge $6 per tire, maybe less if they are together.

You should have to pay PST and GST, possibly duties if built outside North America.  If they say Goodyear instead of Hankook you can probably get away without paying duties.
Mr Pickypants

bffd

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 08:34:23 pm »
Send them to ogdesnburg and then check out bffd.ca.  You can pick them up in Ottawa. Save on Gas/Time/Border Hassels/

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 08:54:50 pm »

I've been there! Those two guys are a bit redneck but friendly enough. They asked about the Krown I had applied to my car. Apparently they had never seen that before. ???

Of course, you will not escape Canada Customs on the way back over.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 06:05:41 pm »
Does anyone have experience with buying tires in the US?

Did you have them shipped to a Mailbox/location in the US, near the border, and then go and pick them up.

What kind of setup and costs are involved?

Yes, I got my last set from Tire Rack.

I had them shipped to a UPS Store stateside. I paid $5 per set of two tires; its now $5 per tire per day.

13% HST only. If they are not US made, add 6%. My Yokohamas were US made so all I paid was HST.

These were $59 tires. After all was said and done; tires, shipping, UPS Store charges, HST and installation, I saved $175.  ;)
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.