Author Topic: Long-Term Test Update 3: 2012 Mazda5 GS Manual  (Read 6405 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Long-Term Test Update 3: 2012 Mazda5 GS Manual
« on: August 03, 2012, 04:05:51 am »

The Mazda5 is up to the challenge of a navigational rally and continues to win over fans of all ages.

Read More...

Offline theonlydt

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Mazda 5 GS with the right gearbox (6spd)
Re: Long-Term Test Update 3: 2012 Mazda5 GS Manual
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 05:41:26 am »
I'm interested by the statement that the interior is quiet; one of my main complaints about the last-generation Mazda 5 is the road-noise. Is it that much improved?

Have you had a chance to try the Mazda 5 off-road yet? Other than the low-hanging front and generally low ground clearance I've found my Mazda 5 incredibly capable off-road and on unmade roads; getting up and down some decent hills even in winter with only mild anxiety.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 06:57:25 am »
I do find the interior quiet enough that I never strain to hear conversation at highway speeds, but mainly it is the engine I find quiet, unlike many similar displacement engines with autos/CVTs. I haven't taken it off-road, and won't go much further than my campsite on an upcoming camping trip.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 07:05:09 am »
It sure sounds like a very versatile family vehicle.  Glad to hear that road and engne noise aren't an annoyance. 
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 08:12:42 am »
It sure sounds like a very versatile family vehicle.  Glad to hear that road and engne noise aren't an annoyance. 

Maybe we can get a second opinion on this soon ;)

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 08:48:44 am »
Ok, I know out of topic, but could not stop laughing  :rofl2: "....my wife has an aversion to maps and directions" I think it should read more like "wives have an aversion to maps and directions" I have yet to hear of a wife who likes to read maps yet follow directions.

Enjoy your daughter age of 3, it's a beautiful time in your lives. Recently I was looking back at some pictures of my boys when they were that age and realized how fleeting time could and situations could be.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline opg210

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 VW Golf Wagon, 2012 Mini Cooper convertible, 2006 Ninja 650R
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 09:59:51 am »

Enjoy your daughter age of 3, it's a beautiful time in your lives. Recently I was looking back at some pictures of my boys when they were that age and realized how fleeting time could and situations could be.
Agreed off topic but couldn't agree more with that! Age 3-7 so far is pretty magical. Getting home from work and getting mobbed is one of life's great experiences!

Offline 810

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 10:19:57 am »
"One irritant that seems to affect all manual Mazdas is a loose shift knob that spins around on the shaft. Just a bit of an irritant."

Strange, I had a Protege5, and now a 2gen "3" and have not noticed this.....

Still, easily solved with an aftermarket shift knob. In my case (with a "3") - RAZO RA68A, but YMMV....

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 04:57:50 pm »
"One irritant that seems to affect all manual Mazdas is a loose shift knob that spins around on the shaft. Just a bit of an irritant."

Strange, I had a Protege5, and now a 2gen "3" and have not noticed this.....

Still, easily solved with an aftermarket shift knob. In my case (with a "3") - RAZO RA68A, but YMMV....
Or a few turns of electrical tape around the threads....What a cutey patootey....Sweet little girl....Love this little car..There'
s a new 5 near here...Nice car! Thanks for a really fine article...Jack

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 05:22:43 pm »
When you said rally, all I thought was, "left 6, into 120 right, slippy" but with a minivan.....  ;D Great article and your daughter is a cutie.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 10:48:01 pm »
When you said rally, all I thought was, "left 6, into 120 right, slippy" but with a minivan.....  ;D Great article and your daughter is a cutie.

that's a bit of what I was expecting, but as I said in the article, there was a lot more "oh crap, pull over here, I need to check something—what km did you say we're at?"

I'm trying to get her started on a modelling career—not as a horrible booth babe, but something that will make tons of mine to support the car habit i develop into my old age...

I actually find that this design is a disappointment compared to the first gen—all because of the taillights! the rest of the design i get, but thy shuold have stuck with the D pillar vertical taillights and had the swoopy side waves swoop right on up into some kind of organic taillights wrapped around the corner... instead they cheaped out and have taillights that don't even look as cool as the either of the previous gen's treatments—the tall vertical strips or the triple deflector-cannons that looked aftermarket (the good kind of aftermarket, not something shabby and crooked).

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 12:02:51 am »
my buddy bought a brand new 5 in late 2009 (when the 10s were about to come out) so he could get a deal...he didn't need TONS of space, but wanted more versatility than regular car gave...ended up trading in a Focus wagon...he loves it.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline theonlydt

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 03:24:48 pm »
Couple of things I've thought of, that you'll be able to help readers out with, due to the benefits of a long-term test;

5s have a reputation for going through tyres, especially at the back. You could let us know if there's anything out of the ordinary about how quickly you get through them.

Squeaks and rattles; mine's been good, but some people complain about squeaks in the 5, especially around the sliding doors (as with any minivan).

Just cleaned my 2010 this morning; impressed with how the interior's holding up, actually better than my wife's 09 Sentra SE-R, despite being the vehicle for the dog, holidays etc.

Are you going to get to do a back to back for a week or more with the Chevrolet Orlando? That could be interesting.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 10:26:36 pm »
Couple of things I've thought of, that you'll be able to help readers out with, due to the benefits of a long-term test;

5s have a reputation for going through tyres, especially at the back. You could let us know if there's anything out of the ordinary about how quickly you get through them.

Squeaks and rattles; mine's been good, but some people complain about squeaks in the 5, especially around the sliding doors (as with any minivan).

Just cleaned my 2010 this morning; impressed with how the interior's holding up, actually better than my wife's 09 Sentra SE-R, despite being the vehicle for the dog, holidays etc.

Are you going to get to do a back to back for a week or more with the Chevrolet Orlando? That could be interesting.

We won't have it for long enough to get into tire wear I don't think, but I'll check it out befero we return it in September. I have yet to notice any squeaks or rattles but we're only at 5K, but I also gave it a good cleaning, and if I agree that it is holding up to the wear and tear of family use. we already compared it with the Orlando last winter: http://www.autos.ca/car-test-drives/comparison-test-four-small-family-haulers/ and found that while the Orlando was good, it seems more crowded because of the three-seat second row, and also lagged behind the Mazda5 in driving dynamics. However, it might be nice to pick up an Orlando, if I can get one with manual transmission just to see how they compare head to head again.

Offline theonlydt

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 06:25:26 am »

We won't have it for long enough to get into tire wear I don't think, but I'll check it out befero we return it in September. I have yet to notice any squeaks or rattles but we're only at 5K, but I also gave it a good cleaning, and if I agree that it is holding up to the wear and tear of family use. we already compared it with the Orlando last winter: http://www.autos.ca/car-test-drives/comparison-test-four-small-family-haulers/ and found that while the Orlando was good, it seems more crowded because of the three-seat second row, and also lagged behind the Mazda5 in driving dynamics. However, it might be nice to pick up an Orlando, if I can get one with manual transmission just to see how they compare head to head again.

I'd forgotten about the head to head - thanks for the link. Surprised your mileage is as low as 5k - you should take a vacation and rack up a couple of ks in a week or two.

The european market is so full of these vehicles the 5 is only classed as middle of the pack (though obviously UK reviewers have never used a minivan - they complain that the seat squabs need to be lifted to fold the middle-row flat - both of us know how easy that is!), it's disappointing that the C-Max isn't coming here as it once was or that Toyota don't bring their's here.