Author Topic: First Drive: 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander  (Read 18792 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander
« on: March 26, 2013, 06:31:06 am »

The 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander makes great strides in interior quality and refinement and is the last to offer a V6 and seven seats in this compact segment.

Read More...

Offline theonlydt

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Mazda 5 GS with the right gearbox (6spd)
Re: First Drive: 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 07:13:47 am »
We looked at the last generation and found, as the article states, that the interior was sub-par, but also the 4 cylinder (+CVT) was too weak and the v6 too expensive as an upgrade. We're a fan of CVTs, so that's not the issue, it's just underpowered engines don't work well with CVTs and this seemed like a poor application. It sounds as though they've still not really fixed this problem.

Also, really not a fan of the new look. At all. It looks a mess to me - the current generation was more cohesive.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 08:06:44 am »
Outside this Outlander is a very mature design statement. I was surprised to see the cupholders in this otherwise spacious vehicle, located under the dash - reminds me tiny Acura EL...Move them, Mitsubishi, they are useless over there!

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 08:28:13 am »
Not a fan of the new design; looks like the product of a Forester and Durango one-nighter. Also lamenting the loss of the tail-gate. Curious that they haven't done anything with their engines nor addressed the unusable 3rd row seats.

I wonder what the difference is between the Eco and Normal settings on the S-AWC?

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 08:51:43 am »
I don't remember the interior of the last generation being that bad?  Can anybody shed more details?  I don't care if it simple, and has a lot of gray/black.  As long as it doesn't rattle, or has uncomfortable seats.  I prefer the old design as well, and the tailgate.  A used car review would be nice to know how reliable it was,  I am sure we will get one eventually.  Pretty a good time for incentives, to get rid of the old ones....

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 09:19:49 am »
I don't remember the interior of the last generation being that bad?  Can anybody shed more details?  I don't care if it simple, and has a lot of gray/black.  As long as it doesn't rattle, or has uncomfortable seats.  I prefer the old design as well, and the tailgate.  A used car review would be nice to know how reliable it was,  I am sure we will get one eventually.  Pretty a good time for incentives, to get rid of the old ones....

A coworker owned one, 4-cylinder AWD. It was a surprisingly good vehicle, just too thirsty for his needs (highway commuting). The seats were on the smaller side but good support, well-bolstered and comfortable. The dash was hard cheap-looking plastic but if your hands are on the wheel and eyes on the road who really cares? I drove it briefly and it felt much more agile than normal SUV's with noticeably direct, tight steering and good body control, probably because of its Lancer roots. It had good visibility and sight lines, and I would highly recommend one.

Unfortunately, I think this new version is going in the wrong direction. They need to drop this Manatee-on-wheels look immediately and get the 'fun' back. Plain people who want plain SUV's won't be in a Mitsubishi showroom. The Outlander will always be outclassed as a luxury truck, so why not play your strengths and make something fun instead?

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 09:25:22 am »
The 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander makes great strides in interior quality and refinement and is the last to offer a V6 and seven seats in this compact segment.

Read More...

Meh...

Offline Ravenorxs

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-8
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2002 Suzuki Aerio, 2007 Hyundai Sonata
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 09:49:32 am »
It's a whale with a moustache.

Also, the design language follows the new subcompact car they are releasing this fall. I wonder what the 2014 lancer will look like  :-X

Northernridge

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 10:09:12 am »
That's one sorry looking snout. Regressive and forgettable exterior design...Mitsubishi has nothing to say. Fail.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 10:14:01 am »
Weirdly enough, I dont mind the looks of this. The interior looks good, V6 powahhhhhh, great and proven AWD and a good warranty....sound like a winner to me.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 10:26:04 am »
That nose... :o

Offline canuckystan

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-58
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 11:00:58 am »
Another crossover from the jellybean school of design.  No thanks.

Offline opg210

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 VW Golf Wagon, 2012 Mini Cooper convertible, 2006 Ninja 650R
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 03:04:16 pm »
Wow that is homely. Hard to understand these companies sometimes. If you're Mitsubishi and struggling to get anyone's attention, why wouldn't you go the Kia route and hire a star (or at least sober) designer? Proper styling is relatively cheap and has enormous benefits, cutting corners here seems like just a really dumb thing to do in a competitive segment.

Northernridge

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 04:33:46 pm »
It strikes me that Mitsubishi is in hot pursuit of Suzuki...over the cliff.

Offline jaari

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-36
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 04:34:04 pm »
who ever approved this design should be fired on the spot, ugly,plain,dated interior and exterior. The tail lights look like a late 90's cast off with the clear lenses  ::)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 04:35:16 pm »
It strikes me that Mitsubishi is in hot pursuit of Suzuki...over the cliff.

:iagree:

Let the Mitsubishi deathwatch commence.  :(
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline ecidloc

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mitsubishi RVR
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 07:39:20 pm »
I am a big fan of Mitsubishi and I like most of the previous exterior designs.  But this new outlander is totally taking the car in a wrong direction, I can't bear to look at it anymore... 

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 07:17:56 am »
My friend picked up a 2010 V6 after I got a 2009 RAV 4 V6.
I didn't really find the interior of the Toyota that much better.   The mitsu wasn't quite as good on gas but it drove pretty good.  The engine was a little noisier but with music on you'd be hard pressed to tell.

I always liked that exterior design. It was sporty looking.  This new look, from the picture seems pretty dull and it makes the vehicle look so much bigger.

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 08:31:11 am »
Aside from the grille I too see a little bit of a Forester hiding there. Not bad looking, but I still wouldn't want one.

Years ago we had tires hanging off on the outside of the rear door. Now that's history with the new Rav. Mitsie had the split rear drop down door - sort of mini tailgate. They enjoy doing things differently and while that is something that endears some folks, it can also turn others off. This is now the crossroads for them - sink or swim.

The buying public I think needs a little more pizzazz to get them to cross the road and a few more arrows in their quiver to help out. Otherwise the death watch advances.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2013, 09:31:34 am »
Wow that is homely. Hard to understand these companies sometimes. If you're Mitsubishi and struggling to get anyone's attention, why wouldn't you go the Kia route and hire a star (or at least sober) designer? Proper styling is relatively cheap and has enormous benefits, cutting corners here seems like just a really dumb thing to do in a competitive segment.

I was thinking they thought they had a design home-run when they introduced the Evo X grill. It looked great on the Evo in 2008 but seemed out of place on the Outlander in 2010. I agree they haven't got styling right on the Outlander since 2007 redo.