Author Topic: Tire Review: Nokian Hakkapeliitta R  (Read 25020 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Tire Review: Nokian Hakkapeliitta R
« on: October 18, 2011, 04:03:58 am »

'Stellar on ice, astounding in the snow,' the Hakkapeliitta R winter tire's only drawback is its high price, says Haney Louka.

Read More...

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-27
    • View Profile
Re: Tire Review: Nokian Hakkapeliitta R
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 08:05:24 am »
Don't tell me it's already winter in Winnipeg.

To be serious, that was as fine a summation of the characteristics and benefits of Winter tires as one could ask for.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 08:35:51 am »
Yes good review. One on the Conti's you mention that is in the same league as these Happas would be nice in the future too!

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 09:46:30 am »

To be serious, that was as fine a summation of the characteristics and benefits of Winter tires as one could ask for.

As I write this the temp here in the 'Peg is a crisp -4.c.....We're not called "Winterpeg" for nothing.  ")

Nice review Haney......wasn't too impress with my Cooper w/tires last year, maybe time to rethink brands.
Have Car......Will Travel

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 09:50:14 am »

Haney's a serious tire nerd. He's written a number of winter tire reviews for us, all of them informative.
I used to work here.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 10:02:31 am »
I have heard very good things about these tires, but they are hard to find, likely special order and I'm pretty sure they don't have 'sales' on these. Still, if you want the best without studs, there is a customer base who have the driving conditions or the desire to purchase them.

Offline opg210

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 VW Golf Wagon, 2012 Mini Cooper convertible, 2006 Ninja 650R
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 10:03:51 am »
Good article indeed. Covered the bases well.

I like how Haney pointed out the relative performance in various weather situations. For example, here in Calgary getting through deep snow is an issue maybe 3 days a year (depending on neighbourhood). We face icy streets maybe 20-30 days, and most of the winter is on dry pavement. Quite different than southern Ontario/Quebec, the maritimes, or the prairies, so each tire may be better suited to a region depending on the precipitation they get.

In past I've used Nokian WRs and loved them; it would be nice to see an updated review as they've changed the model a few times. I don't know how they compare head to head with a true winter tire under the worst conditions, but from my experience they were night and day better than all seasons on slippery roads. For me they were the best all round compromise. I got on to them by calling a local tire shop for a recommendation; he suggested WRs and when I asked why he said their whole shop had them on. Good enough for me.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 10:31:51 am »
Man that olde hakka tyre tread sure looks like a NEW ONE.......care to guess which one........... :stick: :light:...umm err GENERAL  seems to me some companies have been having relationships sans rubbers....... :rofl2:

and why didn't Haney come down a size or TWO...running fat 18 inches in Winterpeg........do they have DRAG ICERACES @ noon on Portage and Main lining........
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 11:19:34 am by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline 810

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 10:53:47 am »
Amazing tires. Have them on two cars: 2010 Mazda 3 and 2009 Sienna. On the Sienna, these are better than stock all-seasons on dry pavement ( :P ). Complete confidence in the snow, ice, freezing rain etc.

In Ontario, you can find these at Kal Tire. They used to be carried elsewhere, but no more  for a couple of years. Unfortunately monopoly drives the price up, but you truly get what you pay for.

If your car comes with low profile tires, consider going one size down on the steelies with winter tires = cost savings.

Use this to calculate what you need, since the outside circumference if the tire needs to stay the same, or you will have speedo error.

http.....www <dot> miata <dot> net <slash> garage <slash> tirecalc.html

BTW, I also have Hakka RSi, being used on a Civic, and a previous set of Hakka 1, which were used for 7 years on a Protege5.

I am not what you call a gentle driver.....

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-432
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 11:07:30 am »

I like how Haney pointed out the relative performance in various weather situations. For example, here in Calgary getting through deep snow is an issue maybe 3 days a year (depending on neighbourhood). We face icy streets maybe 20-30 days, and most of the winter is on dry pavement. Quite different than southern Ontario/Quebec, the maritimes, or the prairies, so each tire may be better suited to a region depending on the precipitation they get.

In past I've used Nokian WRs and loved them; it would be nice to see an updated review as they've changed the model a few times. I don't know how they compare head to head with a true winter tire under the worst conditions, but from my experience they were night and day better than all seasons on slippery roads. For me they were the best all round compromise. I got on to them by calling a local tire shop for a recommendation; he suggested WRs and when I asked why he said their whole shop had them on. Good enough for me.

The only downside to this story is it sounds like you got reamed by Kal Tire. I can almost buy two sets of tires for what Kal charges..

Offline 810

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 11:14:50 am »

The only downside to this story is it sounds like you got reamed by Kal Tire. I can almost buy two sets of tires for what Kal charges..

Yes.... monopoly.... My first set came from Steelcase, natch :)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 11:42:56 am »
Yes good review. One on the Conti's you mention that is in the same league as these Happas would be nice in the future too!

No need to wait for the future: http://www.autos.ca/auto-product-reviews/winter-tire-review-continental-extremewintercontact

Offline opg210

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 VW Golf Wagon, 2012 Mini Cooper convertible, 2006 Ninja 650R
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 11:52:57 am »

Good guess! Although my last purchase was a set of 4 for a WRX, all in cost including GST of ~$770. I didn't think that was too bad. If you can get them for half that I'm all ears as I need a new set for the new car...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-432
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 12:22:43 pm »

Good guess! Although my last purchase was a set of 4 for a WRX, all in cost including GST of ~$770. I didn't think that was too bad. If you can get them for half that I'm all ears as I need a new set for the new car...

What year WRX and what tire size? I didn't say I could get Nokians for half the price....

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 12:33:24 pm »

No need to wait for the future: http://www.autos.ca/auto-product-reviews/winter-tire-review-continental-extremewintercontact

Nice one - thanks!

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 06:43:59 pm »
i bought a set of Michelin X-Ice XI2s a couple of years ago (the first year the 2nd gen came out) and they are awesome...the good thing is, they are available at Costco and are very reasonably priced.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 07:08:47 pm »
Kal Tire is expensive, but they've always provided great service. If great service is not important to you, then there are many good cheaper alternatives available. I hated my Nokian WR G2s about two months after I bought them when I finally got to test them out in the snow, they promptly replaced them with Yokohama iceGuard iG20s for the cost of mounting and balancing $70 and I was laughing the rest of the winter.

I bought my Toyo Observe G-02 Plus tires at a Mazda dealership and though I hate them, I know there's probably little anything I can do about it. Oh well. At least I got them cheap.

FYI, 1010tires sells Nokian Hakka Rs and 5s online but to compare... 1010tires is only about a couple of bucks cheaper than Kal Tire right now... $199.99 vs. $201.87 for 205/55R16. Except with Kal Tire you save the hassle of having tires shipped to your house then bringing them to a tire place that can mount and balance for you, plus you get a 30 day satisfaction guarantee on your tire (my local Kal Tire store was really nice to let me exchange the tires over 60 days later) and you get road hazard warranties and other stuff with your Kal Tire purchase. If 1010tires saved me at least $100, $150 on a set of 4 sure but at the same price it's a no brainer who I'd go with to get Hakka Rs.

Heck I priced Hakka Rs in the US of A, it's a bit cheaper but not cheap enough to justify the hassles of buying from the States.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 08:43:32 pm »
you can get Michelin XIce2s in that size (205/55/16) right now at Costco for $177.50 each - installed and balanced (with road hazzard warranty and nitrogen)...the tires are $195 installed each, but you get $70 off a set of 4, so a discount of $17.50 per tire...i compared prices online and the last 3 sets of tires i have purchased at Costco as they were less expensive than everywhere else.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1252/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 08:56:45 pm »
you can get Michelin XIce2s in that size (205/55/16) right now at Costco for $177.50 each - installed and balanced (with road hazzard warranty and nitrogen)...the tires are $195 installed each, but you get $70 off a set of 4, so a discount of $17.50 per tire...i compared prices online and the last 3 sets of tires i have purchased at Costco as they were less expensive than everywhere else.

Hopefully you don't get jacked around at Costco like we did.....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2011, 09:01:32 pm »
not at all...go there every week...one of the Michelin X-Radials i bought for the Taurus a few years ago picked up a nail and needed to be replaced...this was about a year after i purchased the tires...because of the road hazzard warranty (pro-rated) they installed a new tire for about $20 all in.