Author Topic: Test Drive: 2016 Ford Flex Limited  (Read 31380 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2110
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Test Drive: 2016 Ford Flex Limited
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2016, 03:03:07 pm »
I think owning an R63 is a life goal of mine. It's sheer ridiculous frivolity wrapped up with low key anonymous practicality. Would be an amazing feeling.

I agree, first time I saw one of those I was like why? But then I was like why the hell not?!?!?! Instead of being sentenced to a lame fwd minivan, that thing would be a hoot to drive.....if you can swing the FGC experience.

What, you don't want to work in this engine bay?

:censor: work of art, that. Scary as :censor:, but a work of art nonetheless.

I guess the only okay thing about being sentenced to a lameo FWD minivan is that at least the Honda V6 is pretty good, and it won't break...

Thats the thing, the whole R63 thing is it doesn't make sense, you shouldn't buy one, there are much more sensible choices....but its a bloody AMG minivan, hell to the yeah!!!
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Concerned Commuter

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2016, 03:32:19 pm »
back in 2013 while on a family vacation to Vancouver Island, we rented one of these (can't remember the trim level, but it was the Ecoboost and was loaded with the park assist, leather, MyFordTouch, etc).  My wife, mother in law, and 3 late teens/early twenties boys all fit in here with our luggage for a 5 day vacation.  I feel in love with the power, handling and comfort of this thing, my wife and mother in law never got over the appearance, however I was making progress on converting the wife to a believer - until my right foot got the better of me.

Some poor unsuspecting middle aged crisis fellow (wait - I am middle aged too!) in a Challenger RT with a hemi chuckled at me whilst sitting at a traffic light leading north on the highway and onto an expanse of open freeway.  I looked at him and gave him the "nod" and began the tradition of silently building up the revs in the Flex with one foot on the brake and one on the gas.  The Challenger driver recognized my challenge and when the light turned green, he threw down the gauntlet.  To his (and my) surprise, the big old Flex got up in a hurry and left him in the dust - all the way up to a speed of about 50 kms north of the posted 100km limit!  Victory for the Flex, however it was ultimately my loss as that event sealed my fate to never owning one of these hot rods, a quite back handed slap and a few choice words later and my wife had delivered her solid rationale and business case for my never owning one.

Someday, Flex, someday....

I find it hard to believe that a 375hp V8 Challenger could be left in the dust by a 365hp Flex loaded down with a family unless:

A) it was in snow
B) the driver of the Challenger wasn't really racing, having deemed that a station wagon wasn't worth the fuel consumed by a WOT pull.

Here's proof of the aforementioned incident - at our local drag strip.  Both bone stock - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4CBKhTCiuc

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +18/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (sold), 2016 Tesla Model S 90D
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2016, 04:14:07 pm »
When it came to my last purchase it was sort of between the Flex and the Explorer Sport. I couldn't get over the Flex's styling although it offered a little better trunk space and handling (I think it sits an inch or so lower than the Explorer). Otherwise, they essentially have duplicate interiors. Over the 3+ years, the Explorer is prematurely wearing down although I don't think I've truly driven it hard. It'll be gone by June and I don't think I'll be missing it much.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +266/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2016, 04:59:42 pm »
back in 2013 while on a family vacation to Vancouver Island, we rented one of these (can't remember the trim level, but it was the Ecoboost and was loaded with the park assist, leather, MyFordTouch, etc).  My wife, mother in law, and 3 late teens/early twenties boys all fit in here with our luggage for a 5 day vacation.  I feel in love with the power, handling and comfort of this thing, my wife and mother in law never got over the appearance, however I was making progress on converting the wife to a believer - until my right foot got the better of me.

Some poor unsuspecting middle aged crisis fellow (wait - I am middle aged too!) in a Challenger RT with a hemi chuckled at me whilst sitting at a traffic light leading north on the highway and onto an expanse of open freeway.  I looked at him and gave him the "nod" and began the tradition of silently building up the revs in the Flex with one foot on the brake and one on the gas.  The Challenger driver recognized my challenge and when the light turned green, he threw down the gauntlet.  To his (and my) surprise, the big old Flex got up in a hurry and left him in the dust - all the way up to a speed of about 50 kms north of the posted 100km limit!  Victory for the Flex, however it was ultimately my loss as that event sealed my fate to never owning one of these hot rods, a quite back handed slap and a few choice words later and my wife had delivered her solid rationale and business case for my never owning one.

Someday, Flex, someday....

I find it hard to believe that a 375hp V8 Challenger could be left in the dust by a 365hp Flex loaded down with a family unless:

A) it was in snow
B) the driver of the Challenger wasn't really racing, having deemed that a station wagon wasn't worth the fuel consumed by a WOT pull.

Here's proof of the aforementioned incident - at our local drag strip.  Both bone stock - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4CBKhTCiuc

What I'm seeing there is a Dodge Challenger edging out a Flex.  You said you left him in your dust.  And you had people in your car.  So the Flex would have been slower.  So I'm thinking the Challenger driver either wasn't seriously racing, or had a really bad start.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2016, 05:26:07 pm »
I have liked this since it appeared...a Volvo 245 on steroids.  I'll never buy one, too big, but I think it is the most useful of the three, Edge,Explorer and Flex.

The Flex is the same length as a four-door Dodge Aspen, but a lot more efficient at carrying people.  :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 05:42:20 pm by Winklovic »
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Concerned Commuter

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2016, 05:35:54 pm »
What I'm seeing there is a Dodge Challenger edging out a Flex.  You said you left him in your dust.  And you had people in your car.  So the Flex would have been slower.  So I'm thinking the Challenger driver either wasn't seriously racing, or had a really bad start.
[/quote]

Some people see what they want to see I guess.  The Flex had the holeshot on him and expanded it.  At the end of the quarter, the flex ran a 14.4 to the Challengers 14.9.

On the street, yes, there is a lot of technique to racing.  I don't know if the dude in the Challenger knew how to drive and you can make all the rationale to defend your opinion that you want.  The fact was - the Challenger lost - both in the race I had on the street and in the video clip I posted. Does it matter that John Force smoked his tires and lost to Tom Wilkerson? No - Wilkerson still won, even though John maybe had the faster car that day.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2016, 07:48:47 pm »
Well I'm pretty certain I wouldn't take up the challenge in my S2000 if the opportunity presented itself.  Last thing I want is to get smoked by a mini-van/suv thing with 6 smiling witnesses in tow.   :P

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2016, 08:28:07 pm »
But the important questions must be answered.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2016, 08:35:16 pm »
I get left at the lights by all sorts of low powered cars and could care less.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2016, 09:16:16 pm »

Lets face it, in downtown Toronto how fast are you realistically going?

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12342
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2016, 09:24:32 pm »

Way to play the maturity card. :-)
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2016, 09:49:57 pm »

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2016, 10:42:16 pm »

;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Think123

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2016, 11:46:23 pm »
I've got a 2010 and have nothing but praise for its practicality and performance.  It has taken my family of four, and sometimes six when the inlaws are in town for their month long stay, from Calgary to variously Moab, San Fanscisco, Yellowstone and many times to Victoria.  Cruising at 120 and above I can get 10.5 l/100km, no lie.  It also pulls our 14' high wall tent trailer that weighs 3400lbs with no problem.  When you did the review of the 7 passenger SUV's last month and picked the Sorento, I shook my head.  I had just returned from a week in Victoria with my road bike in the back, luggage for 4 and a large teak side table, albeit broken down, that all fit into the back.  There is no way your winner could have handled half of that - something that you need to test for if you are truly reviewing a family hauler for its intended purpose.  Polarizing looks?  Yes, but my wife thinks it's cool and it is a tool that does its job very well, which as a pragmatic man I can get behind.  I only wish they were coming out with a new model with the 2.7 Eco and about 250kg less weight.  Looking at an XC90 now - less power, less capable and almost twice the price but thoroughly modern.  Sigh...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2016, 01:14:19 am »
When you did the review of the 7 passenger SUV's last month and picked the Sorento, I shook my head.  I had just returned from a week in Victoria with my road bike in the back, luggage for 4 and a large teak side table, albeit broken down, that all fit into the back.  There is no way your winner could have handled half of that - something that you need to test for if you are truly reviewing a family hauler for its intended purpose.
the Sorento isn't that small...the difference between the Flex and Sorento might not be as much as you think it is.

passenger volume for Flex is 4412L vs 4366L for the Sorento...behind the first row is 2355L for the Flex vs 2066 for the Sorento...while 300L is nothing to sneeze at, it's not like the Flex is twice the size...the gap narrows when you compare behind the 2nd and 3rd rows (where the difference drops down to 147L and 106L in favour of the Flex).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12342
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2016, 06:57:49 am »
You can't beat a big box for maximizing interior cargo space. That's why shipping containers are shaped that way. But a shipping container with wheels is not everyone's aesthetic ideal regardless of the compelling practicality.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2016, 07:38:44 am »
You can't beat a big box for maximizing interior cargo space. That's why shipping containers are shaped that way. But a shipping container with wheels is not everyone's aesthetic ideal regardless of the compelling practicality.

ironically, this shipping container...errr...contains more style in it than all the jellybean SUVs that are trying desperately NOT to be a box on wheels
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +234/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2016, 08:27:55 am »
..the gap narrows when you compare behind the 2nd and 3rd rows (where the difference drops down to 147L and 106L in favour of the Flex).

The other way to look at it is that the Flex has almost 50% more room.  That is not insignificant.

If we needed something this big it would come down to the Flex or the Highlander.  I have a feeling my wife would heavily favour the Highlander.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2016, 01:19:37 pm »

;D

You are a pedant.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +115/-427
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2016, 02:04:14 pm »
The Flex's biggest problem is most women HATE them. Not indifferent but hate the shape. My wife (who drives a box on wheels LR4) can't stand the Flex. Few cars make her react that way except for the Flex (Oh she didn't like the Magnum either) . I have only seen one  woman in my neighbourhood driving one but then again her partner is a woman. Not sure why the hate for this shape but it won't change. RIP Flex