Author Topic: Auto Tech: Mazda i-Activesense Active Safety Technology Systems  (Read 3620 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

Five new collision-avoidance warning systems debut in the 2014 Mazda6; Mazda gives us the chance to drive badly and test them out.

Read More...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
Re: Auto Tech: Mazda i-Activesense Active Safety Technology Systems
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 10:38:09 am »
I find it interesting...these are touted as "optional" safety systems.  I agree that consumers should pay for them - they are extra technology that have added costs (R&D, manufacture, etc) - but I see an inherent flaw in making these "optional" as opposed to making them standard equipment.  Maybe not all of them - who cares about beep beep beep beep beep...but the actual intervention systems (Infiniti's ability to brake when reversing) seem like they should be standard place...at the very least, they'd reduce insurance premiums for backing into other cars in parking lots.

I'd like to see at least some of these as standard equipment, is my point.  Preferably those undefeatable systems that automatically brake when a low-speed collision is imminent.  It would at the very least preclude many frauds on insurance companies (common place in Ontario and Quebec these days).

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 10:17:37 pm »
How are the ones on Mazda the same or different from other manufacturers?
Which ones work best?.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 04:42:57 am »
How are the ones on Mazda the same or different from other manufacturers?
Which ones work best?.

Inquiring minds want to know.

The technology may be the same.  From the Mobileye website:
http://www.mobileye.com/markets/oem/

"The current list of OEM partners with whom Mobileye is working is  - AUDI AG, Adam Opel AG, BMW, Chrysler, General Motors, Ford Motor Company, Honda, Hyundai Kia Motor Company,  Jaguar Land Rover, Mitsubishi Motor Company, Peugeot Citroen, Volvo, Yulon Motors, Scania "

Mazda, Toyota, Nissan and Suzuki are some of the ones missing from this list.  So they may be using different technology, which maintains the validity of your question.  There probably aren't many companies producing this stuff, so a comparison would be interesting.  Note that the sensitivity of the systems can be adjusted, so comparisons would have to factor that out.

This is an aspect of the automotive field that is developing rapidly.  Just do an Internet search for "Advanced Driver Assistance System".  For example:
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20121011005573/en/Research-Markets-Global-Advanced-Driver-Assistance-System

One party is developing a system to track raindrops and shut off portions of headlight beams that would reflect off the raindrops back into the driver's eyes.  So the reflected glare would be reduced.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 05:02:27 am by X-Traction »
And some cretins think I hate cars.