Author Topic: Auto Tech: BMW and Carbon Fiber Plastics  (Read 2821 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Auto Tech: BMW and Carbon Fiber Plastics
« on: November 21, 2012, 06:06:28 am »

Mike Schlee gets an up-close look at Uma Thurman, and BMW's future carbon fibre technology.

Read More...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Auto Tech: BMW and Carbon Fiber Plastics
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 06:57:01 am »
Works for me. Uma T is a carbon based life form and probably eats a high fibre breakfast cereal.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 07:46:00 am »
Uma  :love:

Offline DrMaustus

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2012 MazdaSpeed 3
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 09:23:24 am »
Seems a bit contradictory to be trumpeting the environmental advantages to producing the carbon fiber in the US plant, and then they ship the stuff all the way to Germany. Why can't they build the cars at the US plant or build a production plant there? Without the shipping costs factored in it'd be cheaper that way too. I guess the capital investment of building a plant there would be huge. However, if they're that sure that cf is the future, they should build one there anyway.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 09:41:39 am »
...."Once the strands of fiber arrive in Wackersdorf, Germany,...."

Ok is it me ? I just could not read much beyond the statement above. "Wackersdorf"...I couldn't make up a place that funny if I tried.....man some days I guess I just got to grow up, but in the mean time.. :rofl:

On a serious note I think lighter stronger cars need to be the new focus. Some recent new cars have just become out-ragingly heavy. Hope they don't pull a 180 like VW did with magnesium with their body shells and castings.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 09:46:49 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline opg210

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 VW Golf Wagon, 2012 Mini Cooper convertible, 2006 Ninja 650R
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 10:16:01 am »
Uma was there? Wow. Now I think it's a great project. I wouldn't have been interested with some no-name model ;D.

Great to see stuff like this, a manufacturer with the balls to push in a new direction. In the old days you might have seen Honda leading this charge too, let's hope they can get into the act too.

The article mentions the good crash characteristics, but I thought this would be a flaw in a road car in one sense - if carbon fibre components suffer even the slightest bit of damage, their integrity can be sapped so they are normally discarded. Part of the high cost is the inspection process that is required to make sure there are absolutely no flaws in the pieces. If you crashed one of these and it gets a crack in the central frame, is it toast?

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 12:49:23 pm »
If you crashed one of these and it gets a crack in the central frame, is it toast?

Wouldn't that hold true with a steel or aluminum frame?

Another question: it wasn't clear (to me) whether carbon fibre would be used in just the frame or other body panels. If the latter, if one gets into an accident can the carbon fibre be repaired like current body panels or is a replacement always necessary, which of course leads to cost, which leads to higher insurance premiums with a carbon fibre car?

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 01:03:33 pm »
If you crashed one of these and it gets a crack in the central frame, is it toast?

Wouldn't that hold true with a steel or aluminum frame?

Another question: it wasn't clear (to me) whether carbon fibre would be used in just the frame or other body panels. If the latter, if one gets into an accident can the carbon fibre be repaired like current body panels or is a replacement always necessary, which of course leads to cost, which leads to higher insurance premiums with a carbon fibre car?

These cars are going to be all Carbon fiber; panels included