Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 Mazda3 Sport GT  (Read 14081 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2015 Mazda3 Sport GT
« on: April 28, 2015, 06:28:19 am »

Quality is subjective.
Read More...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: Test Drive: 2015 Mazda3 Sport GT
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 07:08:39 am »
I found this engine a little harsh and I kept wanting more power from it, but that had less to do with what was on hand and more to do with what I thought the car would take.

The engine doesn’t feel like it’s been detuned for fuel economy and yet returns good numbers. The EPA rating is 8.1/5.9/7.1 L/100 km city/highway/combined – and I finished the week on 9.2. The highway number reflected in the rating might be a little low though, at 120 km/h I never saw better than 6.3 over the course of a trip.

To clarify, it’s not that the power is insufficient – it isn’t – but more that you’ll keep thinking “this would be so awesome with 30 more hp!” – I think that’s Mazda’s great downfall actually. The cars always feel like they’re just a little shy of their full potential. Again, not because the powertrains are no good, but because the abundant potential is so evident – following me yet?

So your saying the car has sufficient power, but you know the car can handle more power, thus you crave more. I follow, but don't really agree.  I have the same gearbox, same engine.  And it doesn't take me long at all to get into trouble.  Harsh?  Feels at lot more stable and smooth, compared to Civics and Corollas when flooring it to merge on the highway.  Must have really seen some traffic, and putting it through its paces, I rarely saw 9L/100km in the winter!   

Can't believe you have to get luxury package to get lumbar support, my base GX has it standard!  Packaging is a major gripe I have with Mazda.   

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 07:43:53 am »
The engine doesn’t feel like it’s been detuned for fuel economy and yet returns good numbers. The EPA rating is 8.1/5.9/7.1 L/100 km city/highway/combined – and I finished the week on 9.2. The highway number reflected in the rating might be a little low though, at 120 km/h I never saw better than 6.3 over the course of a trip.

Driving 20% over the limit with only a small increase in F/E, I think that is quite good actually. Besides, are F/E test only up to 100kph? Speed or F/E...pick one.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 07:55:55 am »
Finally! A test of the Mazda 3GT Sport! Now, please do a test drive of the new Golf so we can compare!
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 07:57:59 am »
I drove this model with the manual when it came out in the fall.  I too thought it was an excellent vehicle.  I think this car is ideal for those who like to have the most features they can buy along with a sporty drive.  If you are looking for more performance you have to go for the VW GTI which in base trim is about the same price, it definitley has WAY less features, but the performance is superior. 

Two problems I have with the Mazda 3, one is that they only offer the 2.5L engine in GT (top) trim, they used to offer it in the middle trim.  The other major issue I have is the manual is not cheaper.  Which means they are charging you for wanting a manual, as pretty much every other vehicle offered today the manual is $1,000+ cheaper, plus when you go to trade in the vehicle you know they'll use the lack of a automatic as a way to reduce what you get.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 09:23:18 am »
Thank you Mr. Black for echoing my ownership experience with my Mazda3.....great car but a bit rough around the edges.

The autoroute fuel consumption numbers are a bit off the mark for this iteration, enough to make me question whether buying this car for its supposed efficiency was worth the compromises. One might argue the gov't numbers are never accurate but I have driven many another car where the numbers were achievable even at 120-130km/h, which is what normal people drive on the autoroute.

The 2,5 litre engine is a bit coarse.....one can feel the vibrations thru the controls at times. Quite annoying after awhile, to be honest. 500cc per cylinder bitte, danke! I don't know if you want more power on this chassis; there's torque steer if one punches the throttle too hard on winter tires.

The doors are indeed flimsy and the paint quality is mediocre. One would argue that "it's for weight savings" but a VW Golf weighs about the same, and doesn't feel that way!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 09:24:55 am by mlin32 »
ř cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 09:35:54 am »
Informative write up on the Mazda3 Sport, one of the last built in Japan moderately priced vehicles available in the Canadian market. Subaru Impreza being the only other I'm aware of.
That being said I echo some of your comments regarding Mazda3's in general especially regarding NVH and material quality.
I was instrumental in mom's purchase of a new 2012 at the time. Found sound insulation to be lacking compared to similar competitors.
Definitely handles securely compared to it class competitors.
The Skyactiv engine is known to be a little harsher than it's non skyactiv variant due to high compression ratios. Originally designed to run at 14:1 with 91 octane.
To enable running on regular gas, the U.S.\Canadian version has a compression ratio of 13:1, which means fuel economy and torque will diminish by about 3 to 5 percent, according to Mazda.
Car seems to ding easily vs previous vehicle owned.
Mazda3 could just be the class leader once gripes are addressed regarding NVH, material grade and thickness.
Now if they could only fix the ergonomics of the hatch to make it more usable.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 09:43:13 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 09:49:45 am »
The Skyactiv engine is known to be a little harsher than it's non skyactiv variant due to high compression ratios. Originally designed to run at 14:1 with 91 octane.
To enable running on regular gas, the U.S.\Canadian version has a compression ratio of 13:1, which means fuel economy and torque will diminish by about 3 to 5 percent, according to Mazda.
Actually, the Skyactiv 2,5-G engine is designed specifically for the Australian and North America market only in the case of the Mazda3. No other markets get this engine on this vehicle due its large size and relative inefficiency.

My impression is that the Mazda3 was designed around the 2,0 variant, just like the new MX-5 is designed around the 1,5 litre variant.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 10:09:30 am »

The other major issue I have is the manual is not cheaper.  Which means they are charging you for wanting a manual, as pretty much every other vehicle offered today the manual is $1,000+ cheaper, plus when you go to trade in the vehicle you know they'll use the lack of a automatic as a way to reduce what you get.

maybe its the other way around - maybe you are not paying extra for the auto  ;D  Many people complain that no manuals are being offered on many of the higher grade models from various manufacturers.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 10:13:52 am »
Finally! A test of the Mazda 3GT Sport! Now, please do a test drive of the new Golf so we can compare!

Sorry, no can do. We've only booked Audi R8s, Porsches and Jaguar F-Types for the rest of the year.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 10:17:48 am »

Sorry, no can do. We've only booked Audi R8s, Porsches and Jaguar F-Types for the rest of the year.
Excellent! Finally, getting back to interesting, consumer-oriented advice  :bounce:

Please let us know whether the Audi R8 is any good should I get chased inside a shopping centre. This can happen to people from time to time.....

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 10:21:07 am »
Actually, the Skyactiv 2,5-G engine is designed specifically for the Australian and North America market only in the case of the Mazda3. No other markets get this engine on this vehicle due its large size and relative inefficiency.

My impression is that the Mazda3 was designed around the 2,0 variant, just like the new MX-5 is designed around the 1,5 litre variant.

Regardless of displacement the Skyactiv engine with it's higher compression ratio and Direct Injection is noisier than the previous non Sky variant. https://youtu.be/Ndg6fbEwLFU

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +28/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Chevy Traverse, 2013 Suzuki SV650SF
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 10:47:21 am »

What, no Corvettes? Just to keep the common touch of course... :)

As to the question of power in the Mazda3... Why are there no Mazdaspeed models anymore??? While I'm sure it is sales related, Honda, Ford, VW, FCA, and Subaru all find a way, and I'm sure Si/ST/GTI/Abarth/WRX sales pale in comparison with their mainstream brethren. I can't understand how the Zoom Zoom, "If it's not worth driving, it's not worth building" company can be devoid of higher performance models.

Offline jamesautos

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +14/-59
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 10:50:57 am »
mazda makes great sporty cars...love the new mazda6 and 2 but the only thing that stops me from buying a Mazda is rust....
they may have fixed it...but we had some bad expereince my parents had a protege5 and it rusted like crazy...the mazda3 that came after were knwn to rust prematurely as well... if this generation of 3 can withstand more than 5 seasons of ontario winter than I may consider the next gen

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 10:53:49 am »
We have one of these as a long-term tester right now, identically spec'd, and I have very similar opinions as Jacob does. Packaging is indeed a bit of an issue - you cannot get satellite radio with the manual transmission, because it's locked in with the i-ELOOP stuff and radar cruise control.

I'm averaging 8L/100km in combined driving right now, and the car only has 300km on it so it hasn't really been broken in yet. I assume Jacob's commute was mainly city.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2015, 11:25:15 am »
After driving the 2.5 in the 3 GT I will gladly keep my SI with the 2.4. (I get 7.0L combined) I expected more from the GT as it is priced as a premium compact. However if you want a hatch that is refined the golf lineup sets the bar.

Online dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2015, 11:40:01 am »
I would also be irked if I didn't have the privelege of paying $14.95 a month for satellite radio.

Wait. No I wouldn't.  :) You can hook the GS and GT head unit to your smartphone for internet connectivity right? Then just listen to music online. We have internet access 75% of the drive from Vancouver to Edmonton, and virtually 100% from Vancouver to Los Angeles.

I like the Golf but my wife's anecdotal experience of her ex's VW is not a good one. It was a reliability nightmare she says. She likes the Mercedes Benz B series though, but it'd have to be a used one since they don't sell them in Canada with a stick shift anymore.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2015, 11:49:49 am »
I would also be irked if I didn't have the privelege of paying $14.95 a month for satellite radio.

Wait. No I wouldn't.  :) You can hook the GS and GT head unit to your smartphone for internet connectivity right? Then just listen to music online. We have internet access 75% of the drive from Vancouver to Edmonton, and virtually 100% from Vancouver to Los Angeles.

That's a moot point. A lot of people (myself included) like satellite radio and not having the option in anything but the top of the line model with an option package is ridiculous. Especially when other cars (VW Golf for example) have it standard across the board. Mazda does this with the 3, 6, and CX-5.

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2015, 12:21:12 pm »
After nearly a year with this car I'll echo the sentiments in the review and add a bit more with my impressions of the automatic version.

I find the coarseness is due to the transmission tuning in anything the standard drive mode.   I find the car getting stuck in the wrong gear all too often.  For example, if I accelerate away from a stop sign without coming to a COMPLETE stop, it gets stuck in second or even third gear, raises RPMs to around 2500 after which it hovers in limbo for a good 2 seconds.  This may be great for gas mileage but it's a royal PITA for everything else. 

Merging onto the highway is sometimes a lesson in frustration as well.  Giving it the beans often results in RPMs shooting to 6000 which is WAY above the car's peak horsepower curve.  You end up sitting there waiting while the engine revs away. 

Another problem I am constantly seeing is a massive blind spot out of the driver's side mirror.  No matter how many times I adjust my position or the mirror itself, it's always there.  I suspect they positioned the mirror itself too close to the driver which causes a minimization of viewing angles. 

With all of that being said, I'd probably buy this car again if I was given the chance.  I was looking for a smaller but sporty hatchback and the Golf I test drove just didn't feel right to me. 

Online dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2015, 01:02:05 pm »
That's a moot point. A lot of people (myself included) like satellite radio and not having the option in anything but the top of the line model with an option package is ridiculous. Especially when other cars (VW Golf for example) have it standard across the board. Mazda does this with the 3, 6, and CX-5.

True that the option would be nice. So you can't even get it as a dealer installed add on? And really, Sirius/XM should subsidize the cost of this equipment since they make a killing off the subscription fees.