Author Topic: Future Shop  (Read 17473 times)

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
Future Shop
« on: March 28, 2015, 11:09:45 am »

So all the Future Shop stores closed, and some will be converted to Best Buy and reopen in a week.  While they didn't have the best prices, they were convenient.  I hope our local one re opens.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Re: Future Shop
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 11:24:45 am »
Another victim of retail saturation. How many home electronic stores do I need within 5km?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 11:32:57 am »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/future-shop-stores-closed-across-canada-some-to-become-best-buy-1.3013534

I am surprised they did on a Saturday

They should change the stores over in 2001 when BB bought FS

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 12:06:42 pm »
Another victim of retail saturation. How many home electronic stores do I need within 5km?

In Winnipeg, the FS stores were within walking distance of BB.  Made little sense.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 12:08:11 pm »
The model used to be that if people were out and about shopping, they'd first check one store, and then check the other and when the prices were the same, they'd buy the product.

Not as applicable when everyone has pocket-computers that can look up amazon prices before buying.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 12:35:18 pm »
It sucks for someone who bought a TV or something pricey a day before and now, if not satisfied, there is no store to return it to.  :-\
What really is killing them IMO is lack of flexibility. Some time ago I wanted a high end Pioneer blu ray player. FS had a contact with Pio Canada. I had the cash but they had no idea how to make a special order and take the money.
They need to take advantage of the retail environment. Get a starbucks corner, sell vinyl records, simply offer what online shops cannot. Lots of ppl including myself prefer getting stuff from a brick and mortar store if the price is comparable. 
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 12:39:42 pm »
Based on the CBC news release, all FS purchases will be honored at BB stores.

I did notice Costco stores nowadays have way more stock in big screen TV, and offer 'dirt cheap' extended warranty'. With no gravy add-ons like over priced extended warranty ,  AWESOME must haves like the Monster cables, profit margins are slim for the big box stores.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 12:45:30 pm by initial_D »

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 12:45:34 pm »
If there was a competitive Canadian alternative to Best Buy I'd choose it every time, but there isn't. FS was the only choice in Vernon even if it was only superficially Canadian.
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 02:26:11 pm »
When we moved here our local plaza was Zellers and Cdn Tire. Then it gained a Future shop, then Zellers became Target, now just a lonely Cdn tire...won't be any shortage of parking.

I suspect that we are just too far from the Kitchener or Cambridge BB that our FS will become a BB in a week or two.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 02:29:47 pm »
If there was a competitive Canadian alternative to Best Buy I'd choose it every time, but there isn't. FS was the only choice in Vernon even if it was only superficially Canadian.

Canada Computers, NCIX, TigerDirect (though now online only).

I'd rather give money to Costco, though, since they pay their workers well and has amazing return policies

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 03:10:10 pm »

I'd rather give money to Costco, though, since they pay their workers well and has amazing return policies

I was referring to brick and mortar stores, none of those are located here. The nearest Costco is in Kelowna, too far away to be even remotely convenient. I do hope that Costco moves into the Vernon Target location but that doesn't seem likely.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 03:33:55 pm »

Costco might not be Canadian, but yeah, they pay way above minimum wage and treat their workers better than just about any other retailer.  That matter a lot to me, so they earn quite a bit of my business.  Enough that my Executive membership covers my annual dues and more.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 05:22:00 pm »

Those stores carry some computers and electronics.  But there are many things that Futureshop & BB carry that they don't, and usually the selection is better.  Movies, and Music, appliances, home theatre, for example.

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Suzuki SX4
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 06:48:24 pm »
Only bought on price at Future Shop - I didn't like the aggressive salespeople.

Not surprised they are gone. Even compared to Best Buy, FS selection was getting worse and worse. They were always making pricing mistakes in my favor, too. More than once I was given something for free because of a "pricing error". Those kids on the tills just didn't care about the bottom line. That's the "McDonaldfication" of retail for you!

I will miss the name though. Future Shop - had a nice ring. :)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2015, 06:55:15 pm »
Costco might not be Canadian, but yeah, they pay way above minimum wage and treat their workers better than just about any other retailer.  That matter a lot to me, so they earn quite a bit of my business.  Enough that my Executive membership covers my annual dues and more.

Costco's advantages are offset by how crappy shopping there is. Inconsistent product selection and availability, ridiculous lines, you can't even leave the store once your purchase is complete until your receipt is checked in another line... I buy some stuff from Costco, partly out of "convenience" because it's across the street from my office but for the most part I avoid it like the plague.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2015, 06:59:16 pm »

In Winnipeg, the FS stores were within walking distance of BB.  Made little sense.

This was pretty common in larger markets. At one point even smaller cities like Moncton and Fredericton were slated to get Best Buys near the existing Futureshop stores but that was a few years ago. They did it so that people would have the perception of competition.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2015, 07:00:41 pm »

Costco's advantages are offset by how crappy shopping there is. Inconsistent product selection and availability, ridiculous lines, you can't even leave the store once your purchase is complete until your receipt is checked in another line... I buy some stuff from Costco, partly out of "convenience" because it's across the street from my office but for the most part I avoid it like the plague.

Agree 100%. Have not stepped into one in ten years.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2015, 07:08:59 pm »
True that product consistency is not Costco's strong suit - but I'm not nearly as put off by the rest of it.  Of course, I am there in "off peak" times so I rarely line up.  The amount of food I consumer makes shopping there a necessity for us.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2015, 07:09:25 pm »
Personally, I'm a huge fan of Costco and shop there very often......for both personal items and even brewery ingredients.  I only shop there during the mornings of weekdays so I can't attest to the lines.  I find that they offer unique items that can't be found otherwise locally.  I buy clothes there, groceries, electronics, household items, etc.  Their warranty is absolutely top notch, and that's the main reason that I will continue to shop there (along with their prices).  Best retail chain I've ever set foot in IMHO. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2015, 07:25:07 pm »
Personally, I'm a huge fan of Costco and shop there very often......for both personal items and even brewery ingredients.  I only shop there during the mornings of weekdays so I can't attest to the lines.  I find that they offer unique items that can't be found otherwise locally.  I buy clothes there, groceries, electronics, household items, etc.  Their warranty is absolutely top notch, and that's the main reason that I will continue to shop there (along with their prices).  Best retail chain I've ever set foot in IMHO.

:iagree: