Author Topic: My FGC ownership - Part 2  (Read 45232 times)

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: My FGC ownership - Part 2
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2015, 12:24:24 pm »
Do people in Germany complain about FGC ownership?

I recall reading somewhere that one of the reasons there are more FGC reliability issues in North America is because cars are driven to far higher milages here than Europe. Not sure if that makes sense though.

I doubt it's the higher mileage...at least based on what we see on this forum. Lots of low mileage issues. Maybe they export the crappy vehicles for sh!ts and giggles...

didn't we hear from some of the european members of the forum that europeans don't have as high expectations of rocksolid reliability from their cars as we do here?

I have exactly the same expectations, I don't think that is any different across the pond than it is here...

But traditionally speaking, if you grew up with British Leyland products your idea of reliability is already skewed  ;D  ;)
Lighten up Francis.....

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2015, 12:39:21 pm »

I recall reading somewhere that one of the reasons there are more FGC reliability issues in North America is because cars are driven to far higher milages here than Europe. Not sure if that makes sense though.

I doubt it's the higher mileage...at least based on what we see on this forum. Lots of low mileage issues. Maybe they export the crappy vehicles for sh!ts and giggles...

didn't we hear from some of the european members of the forum that europeans don't have as high expectations of rocksolid reliability from their cars as we do here?

I have exactly the same expectations, I don't think that is any different across the pond than it is here...

But traditionally speaking, if you grew up with British Leyland products your idea of reliability is already skewed  ;D  ;)

Oooh Oooh Ooooh.  My parents used to have a BL when I was a kid living in England.  Behold:  The mighty Triumph Acclaim:

70hp, a 3-speed automated manual (no clutch, but a gear stick), and the exhaust fell off when the car was 7 years old.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 12:42:40 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2015, 12:41:08 pm »

:rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2015, 12:56:45 pm »
^^^ I paid my dues to old ready-for-the-scrapyard BL cars.    And even a new BL car, a TR7. Mrs tpl saw it and really wanted it...what a piece of crap that was.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2015, 01:34:35 pm »
TR7 might be the worst car ever made.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2015, 01:36:45 pm »

Oooh Oooh Ooooh.  My parents used to have a BL when I was a kid living in England.  Behold:  The mighty Triumph Acclaim:

70hp, a 3-speed automated manual (no clutch, but a gear stick), and the exhaust fell off when the car was 7 years old.

Looks suspiciously like a 4 door Honda Civic. I think they collaborated, no? Later it was Sterling / Honda Legend. Or were these different firms?
I love it when a plan comes together.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2015, 01:45:13 pm »

Looks suspiciously like a 4 door Honda Civic. I think they collaborated, no? Later it was Sterling / Honda Legend. Or were these different firms?

Yes, It was basically a Honda Ballade, which is basically a Civic.  Instead of being built in Japan, it was built in England by Leyland.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2015, 04:20:06 pm »

Expectations probably has a lot to do with it.

Well with Italian and French and British cars to compare to, the German stuff looks a hell of a lot better.

Here we compare to Honda / Toyota...different level
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2015, 04:24:03 pm »

Expectations probably has a lot to do with it.

Well with Italian and French and British cars to compare to, the German stuff looks a hell of a lot better.

Here we compare to Honda / Toyota...different level
This.  I'd buy German over French/English/Italian for reliability.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2015, 04:40:17 pm »
My earlier experience with Mercedes Benz (70's/80's and early 90's) was that they were extremely reliable. It was only when they started becoming less mechanical and more and more electronic that things started to go badly sideways.

Take my ML. Only one issue has been remotely mechanical. Everything else has involved the electrical system/electronics.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2015, 04:58:55 pm »
My earlier experience with Mercedes Benz (70's/80's and early 90's) was that they were extremely reliable. It was only when they started becoming less mechanical and more and more electronic that things started to go badly sideways.

Take my ML. Only one issue has been remotely mechanical. Everything else has involved the electrical system/electronics.
This is true of all the German brands IMO.  It's the electronics that are the lions share of the problems.  It's almost like Lucas Electrics has been reborn with the Germans.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2015, 05:01:06 pm »

As far back as I can remember ze Germans were a stalwart symbol of quality and reliability, with the introduction of all the fancy gizmos and doodads, now....uh uh......

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2015, 05:07:39 pm »
Maybe Bosch just doesn't understand microelectronics.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2015, 05:12:12 pm »
Go back a long ways to the W116, W123, W126, etc, Mercedes, and those things were indestructible tanks.  BUT, even way back then, the electrical bits were their weak points.  Not uncommon to have inoperable radios, electric antennas, etc.  The AC systems sucked - they were unreliable and couldn't blow cold anything like a Big 3 car.  The cruise control systems were usually on the fritz.

But, the rest of the car could last a nuclear war.

One hing that's changed is the pricing.  MB products used to be WAY more expensive.  They were much more exclusive.  Even back in the late 90's, I'd occasionally see another MB driver.  Today, I probably saw 20-30 just on my drive to the gym and back.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2015, 05:12:55 pm »
Maybe Bosch just doesn't understand microelectronics.

Bosch parts were the main weak points in MB cars from the 70's on.  Never understood why MB kept buying crap from them.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2015, 05:14:20 pm »
Go back a long ways to the W116, W123, W126, etc, Mercedes, and those things were indestructible tanks.  BUT, even way back then, the electrical bits were their weak points.  Not uncommon to have inoperable radios, electric antennas, etc.  The AC systems sucked - they were unreliable and couldn't blow cold anything like a Big 3 car.  The cruise control systems were usually on the fritz.

One hing that's changed is the pricing.  MB products used to be WAY more expensive.  They were much more exclusive.  Even back in the late 90's, I'd occasionally see another MB driver.  Today, I probably saw 20-30 just on my drive to the gym and back.

Thats the thing, if the cruise doesn't work but the car still starts, no biggie.....now, if the cruise doesn't work, the car won't start.

Northernridge

« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2015, 05:40:06 pm »
In terms of Mercedes-of-the-moment, I think they rush new electronic features to market and promptly start improving them. My previous gen E Class had a number of features that were were slow and imperfect which were all significantly upgraded in my current car. I think Sailor's ML problems were related to this – those evil sensors of his have been changed now.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2015, 06:06:30 pm »

I think your pricing point is valid. I once took the price of my mother's last MB (a nicely optioned, but certainly not 'loaded",1993 300E ) and applied the BOC inflation calculator. In today's dollars it was pushing over 90K.

In the 80's I'd hear some MB owners say "yes, it cost twice as much but I'll keep it 6-7 years instead of 3-4"

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2015, 09:42:00 am »

Same generation Honda Civic my parents had when I started to drive at 16 (13 actually with that car  ;D ). Same 70 hp sewing-machine smooth four, same Hondamatic tranny, but wagon body. It looked like a regular 3-speed auto shifter, but there was no "drive". You had to shift between 1, 2 and "OD". Also had a manual choke - try to explain that to the iPod generation  ;)

Our Civic was exactly like this one, same colour even:

Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2015, 04:17:55 pm »
My last Mercedes, FOR SURE.

That was the last thing I said in this thread.
Well, this time I am here not to moan 'n whine but to give credit where credit is due.
After discovering the rip and following Wing's (sorry couldn't resist 8)) advice, I contacted MB via twitter and got a deal on the replacement. MB covers the part, I pay the labour.
So I had the seat bottom replaced yesterday at Ogilvie Mercedes Benz, and I HAVE to say the experience was a complete opposite to the last one.  :thumbup:
And I ended up paying just over $200 (and the original estimate was closer to $400 which I was willing to pay). I drove away from the dealership knowing I would be back for regular service.
So maybe it's not my last Merc  ;) We shall see. And as I drove away the odometer turned a new page in my car's life by passing the 100,000km mark (pics in another thread).