Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Hyundai Elantra Coupe SE  (Read 9037 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2013 Hyundai Elantra Coupe SE
« on: November 27, 2012, 06:05:27 am »

The new Hyundai Elantra Coupe merges swoopy styling with the roomiest cabin in its class.

Read More...

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Hyundai Elantra Coupe SE
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 08:04:18 am »
So Hyundai comes on the market last of the bunch, it is slowest with the least powerfull engine, carrying not the best fuel efficiency, riding on...not fully independent rear suspension? Hmmmm...

Offline Danno001

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +13/-45
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 08:13:32 am »
So Hyundai comes on the market last of the bunch, it is slowest with the least powerfull engine, carrying not the best fuel efficiency, riding on...not fully independent rear suspension? Hmmmm...

Not sure if you read the same article, the Honda coupe has less hp and slower 0 - 60. But, the Hyundai will sell well, as the overall package is killer.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 08:22:06 am »
This is a pretty sharp looking little coupe, it lookes even better in person.  I'm surprised I haven't seem more of them on the road.  Sounds like the 1.6 turbo from the Veloster turbo and some mild suspension tuning would make this a great competitor to the Civic Si
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline dencanad

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 08:54:02 am »
If I were in the market for a sporty coupe, my money would go to FR-S or BRZ. 
Much better value, and a whole heck of a lot more fun!

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 09:02:13 am »
Good write up but when comparing stats between 3 or more vehicles, especially fuel economy (city/highway) I recommend using a chart/table rather than a long paragraph of words and numbers. Are tables tough to insert on web pages with consistency?

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 09:08:19 am »
Good write up but when comparing stats between 3 or more vehicles, especially fuel economy (city/highway) I recommend using a chart/table rather than a long paragraph of words and numbers. Are tables tough to insert on web pages with consistency?

Good suggestion, +1. Charts are great for comparing specs side-by-side.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 09:15:47 am »

Different kind of car for a different buyer. I doubt there will be much cross-shopping between Elantras and BRZ's..
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 09:16:16 am »

Not sure if you read the same article, the Honda coupe has less hp and slower 0 - 60. But, the Hyundai will sell well, as the overall package is killer.

You are right about HPs/0-60, but these torsions at the rear makes no sense in the so called sporty coupe, young, fun and so on category IMO. Honda never used semiindependent suspension at rear!

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 09:17:38 am »
I don't see where this has an advantage over the Forte Koup. Sure it may be a few years old now but it at least offers the 2.4L engine and comes with wicked financing deals - you can get an SX (2.4L, leather, etc.) for $19,500 and you still have the option of a manual. I guess if fuel economy is the last word? But Hyundai doesn't seem to be doing too well with that these days...

Offline Danno001

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +13/-45
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 09:41:15 am »
You are right about HPs/0-60, but these torsions at the rear makes no sense in the so called sporty coupe, young, fun and so on category IMO. Honda never used semiindependent suspension at rear!
99.9% of the target market for this "sporty coupe" won't care about the rear suspension design. The Mustang has a solid rear axle and it is considered a sports car - period.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 09:44:47 am »
Sharp ride.  Too bad no manual in the SE.  I get the limited appeal of stickshifts in today's market, but if you're going to offer a manual at all, make it available in the sportiest model fercryingoutloud.  I am still betting they will drop the 1.6l turbo motor from the Veloster into this ride, no matter how many times Force denies it.  :)

As for independent rear suspension - gearheads get it, the vast majority of buyers don't know or care.

The next Kia Forte will no doubt kick ass, but the current one is long in the tooth and a little rough and agricultural by today's standards. And its comparatively large 2.4l motor will be thirstier and not all that much more powerful.  Cheap, sporty, stylish - it will still sell, but I can definitely understand why cross-shoppers might choose this instead.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 09:54:34 am by Jaeger »
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 09:56:09 am »
"aimed at the young spotty ;) group"  then it must be an ACNE motors production.try "squeezing" some just under 10 sec times outta this supposed sporty coupe..it has the interior/exterior bling but it sings "chick" car................this coming from someone who had a Veloster for 6 weeks... :shuffle: :think: :nono: :hello: .that was it's "KILLER AP  :'( "...........
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 09:58:39 am by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 10:08:19 am »
   I think that you can make a case for non-independent rear suspension on the basis of having more room inside. Perhaps ind. rear could give a more responsive ride but possibly at the expense of camber angling and strange tire wear. I think that I prefer vertical wheels and longer tire life. Wringing out the equipment for max acceleration is something that few people do ever. Don't like the dash...or nose.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 11:51:51 am »
Right, but not. The #1 coupe in the class is Civic and the class itself was created and established by Civic's fans many of them modifing their cars. They've built this culture creating from Civic coupe an icon. And the result is the most sold coupe in Canada. When Hyundai targets this niche, it fights Civic, not Cobalt Coupe!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 11:52:56 am »
Good looking car, but if I was looking for a car like this, Kia Forte Koup all the way. More power, better looking (IMO) and great deals.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 12:38:39 pm »
I test drove the Elantra last year, it wasn't horrible for someone who just needs a basic commuter car. Different strokes, different folks. I'd take a 3, Focus, or Cruze (except the Eco) any day.

This is a pointless product though. The Elantra sedan already has a coupe profile, so the coupe has the exact same profile but two less doors. Weight savings from two less doors? Nope, the coupe is actually ~10kg heavier.

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 12:47:52 pm »

Different kind of car for a different buyer. I doubt there will be much cross-shopping between Elantras and BRZ's.

Agree with Erik...this Elantra Coupe would be a "sporty" car where as the FRS/BRZ twins are considered (99.9%) to be "sportscars" .   ;)
Have Car......Will Travel

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 12:50:26 pm »

I completely and wholeheartedly agree with you.....unfortunately for the masses of car buyers, RWD doesnt mean anything, they just want a car that looks fast, all show, no go.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 01:44:53 pm »

I completely and wholeheartedly agree with you.....unfortunately for the masses of car buyers, RWD doesnt mean anything, they just want a car that looks fast, all show, no go.

hey, i resemble that remark!! ;D ;)    i got my car for its looks and it's FWD prowess in winter!!   :rofl2:

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D