Author Topic: Tire Review: Bridgestone Blizzak WS70  (Read 50264 times)

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
Re: Tire Review: Bridgestone Blizzak WS70
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2012, 08:16:39 pm »
Just checked my WS-70's tread depth. So far I've put 13,218 km on them, and tread depth is 10/32. Believe the spec for depth new is 12/32.

So some wear, but not exactly melting away. Very happy with the grip.

Tread depth on new Blizzak's depends on the model and size.  Our P225/65R17 DMZ-3's came with 14/32".  Tire rack lists this statistic, and weight.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2012, 09:20:33 pm »
Just checked my WS-70's tread depth. So far I've put 13,218 km on them, and tread depth is 10/32. Believe the spec for depth new is 12/32.

So some wear, but not exactly melting away. Very happy with the grip.

Tread depth on new Blizzak's depends on the model and size.  Our P225/65R17 DMZ-3's came with 14/32".  Tire rack lists this statistic, and weight.

I know ;)

12/32 is the spec from Tire Rack for this size (205/55 R16). The spec for the X-Ice Xi2 is 10.5/32 new.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2012, 09:27:05 pm »
Has anyone warrantied a Bridgestone tire?  I have owned tons of them, and haven't had any issues.

I had a series of MXV4 Michelins that went out of round quite quickly after purchase, and the dealer agreed it was a manufacturing problem, but Michelin told me to pound sand and blamed an incorrect installation, under/over inflation, driving style, and pretty much everything they could think of.

I warrantied a Dunlop tire that had a separated belt, and they came through with no hassle.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2012, 12:25:09 pm »
So if the WS-70's use a softer compound, responsible for their shorter lifespan, how is it that other longer-lasting winter tires compare equally in Tire Rack testing? According to this, the difference is so minor (WS-70 vs. Xi2) that it would be negligible on the road. I think people are more in love with the name Blizzak, which is fine. Not saying they're bad tires, just that they would be more expensive if one puts on a lot of KM's (like me!)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=135&affiliate=HK8

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2012, 05:32:23 pm »
So if the WS-70's use a softer compound, responsible for their shorter lifespan, how is it that other longer-lasting winter tires compare equally in Tire Rack testing? According to this, the difference is so minor (WS-70 vs. Xi2) that it would be negligible on the road. I think people are more in love with the name Blizzak, which is fine. Not saying they're bad tires, just that they would be more expensive if one puts on a lot of KM's (like me!)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=135&affiliate=HK8

This chart probably answers that.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplaywinter.jsp?type=W&VT=C
The Blizzaks seem to be better for ice and snow, but, not surprisingly, that costs agility and a bit of longevity.  The tread life is nothing like the fast wear rate that hearsay claims.  I guess the choice would depend on price and how commonly you drive in snow and ice.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2012, 05:43:51 pm »

The tread life is nothing like the fast wear rate that hearsay claims. 

I agree.  We seem to get the same length of service from the Blizzaks as from other winter tires.  The idea that they wear severely faster is a myth.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2012, 06:14:32 pm »

I agree.  We seem to get the same length of service from the Blizzaks as from other winter tires.  The idea that they wear severely faster is a myth.

I dunno.  I have found the Blizzaks wore significantly faster than our X-Ice2s.  So in our case..it's no myth.  Though the XIce2s are touted as having very long wear.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline kenm

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2012, 08:02:55 pm »

I'm currently running studded Uniroyal Tiger Paws; effective but noisy. Next time round I'll upgrade the tires and lose the studs. Costco.ca lists the Xi2's in 195/65R15 91T for my Corolla at base price of $143.99. Equivalent WS70 is $119.99. Based on that pricing and the reviews here, I'd give the WS70'S a shot. That seems like a pretty good price for a quality tire.
"I paid my four bits to see the high-diving act and I'm a-gonna see the high-diving act. "  Yosemite Sam

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2012, 09:48:11 am »

I dunno.  I have found the Blizzaks wore significantly faster than our X-Ice2s.  So in our case..it's no myth.  Though the XIce2s are touted as having very long wear.

Quit making stuuf up, will you? Funny how any anecdotal report of long treadwear is accepted as gospel, and any anecdootal report to the contrary is dismissed as myth.  Discussing Blizzaks in this thread has reminded me a good deal of discussing Apple products.  The i-Believers hold that their toys are the best, are faultless, and whatever the cost, a bargain at twice the price.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2012, 10:08:56 am »
I think the Blizzaks wear faster.  I don't think they wear out in half the time or anything severe like that.  Maybe I'd get four seasons from an other tire, but only three from the Blizzaks?  We had a set of previous generation Contis, and they wore fairly slowly, but by 8/32 or so, their performance had degraded significantly.  So, it all depends on how they perform as they wear too.

There are many good choices in winter tires now, and pretty much all are a big leap over an all-season tire, but for drivers in really poor conditions, the Blizzak, X-Ice or Contis are probably the best choices.  The Blizzaks are a known quantity to me, and priced pretty aggressively for a premium tire, so they were the obvious choice.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-434
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2012, 11:11:37 am »
One thing I can confirm is that the Blizzack (In this case the DM-V1) has much better dry psvement driving characteristics when the temp drops below -10. Stiffens up nicely.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2012, 12:27:06 pm »
There are many good choices in winter tires now, and pretty much all are a big leap over an all-season tire, but for drivers in really poor conditions, the Blizzak, X-Ice or Contis are probably the best choices.  The Blizzaks are a known quantity to me, and priced pretty aggressively for a premium tire, so they were the obvious choice.

Agree with this statement.  I've purchased for sets of Blizzaks (WS50s, 60s, 70s, and DM-V1s) for 4 different vehicles.  Been very happy with the 50s, 70s, and DM-V1s, less so with the WS-60s (OK, but not the same level of ice grip).  Do they wear faster than other winter tires? Maybe/probably - but we don't drive that much in the winter (10K km combined over 2 vehicles), so it's not a huge deal.  But if I put on 3K km a month, it might be an issue.

Like John, the Blizzaks are a known quantity to me, I'm happy with them, so I stick with them.  But that's not to say that other brands aren't equally good/better/a better value.  But I have no compelling reason to switch.  I'm sure those that use the Xi2's feel the same way.  It's like when I buy running shoes - I've bought 8 pairs of Saucony Grid Omnis.  I just like them, every time.  Maybe some other pair is "better", but I'm happy with what I use.  When I'm not happy (with price/quality, etc.) I'll switch. Same with the Blizzaks.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2012, 02:39:44 pm »
..i've heard those Saucy Grim Omnis.(made by Chrysler :P) wear out rapidly and are shyte in winter..... :stick: >:D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2012, 04:11:12 pm »
..i've heard those Saucy Grim Omnis.(made by Chrysler :P) wear out rapidly and are shyte in winter..... :stick: >:D

Touche, sir!

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2012, 05:01:53 pm »
One thing I can confirm is that the Blizzack (In this case the DM-V1) has much better dry psvement driving characteristics when the temp drops below -10. Stiffens up nicely.

But isn't this exactly what winter tires are NOT supposed to do?

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2012, 08:59:06 am »

Maybe he meant 'nicely' as in it stiffens up less as the temp drops on dry pavement?

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-434
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2012, 11:30:58 am »

To a point yes. But the marshmellow sidewall feeling at lets say +5 becomes much less at -10 and below. Dry pavement handling feels more secure and direct in colder weather. That is all.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2012, 11:44:59 am »
..it's a Marshmallow World......so STIFFLER or Blizzak droop............. ;D

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2012, 01:34:15 am »

To a point yes. But the marshmellow sidewall feeling at lets say +5 becomes much less at -10 and below. Dry pavement handling feels more secure and direct in colder weather. That is all.

Fair enough.  I was thinking about the soft tread blocks squirming, as opposed to the sidewalls flexing.  I suppose you could engineer both for optimal properties.