Author Topic: CTC Review: 2008 Volkswagene Eos  (Read 33514 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CTC Review: 2008 Volkswagene Eos
« on: March 24, 2008, 09:06:42 pm »
Day 1:

2008 Volkswagen EOS
Click Image to Enlarge
Brrrrrrr -- that's what I have to say about driving a convertible in March.  At least the convertible I am driving this week is the Volkswagen Eos, which has a folding hardtop; but let me tell you: a 30-plus km trip in sub-zero temperatures with the top down in March -- not a good idea.  More...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
RE: CTC Review: 2008 Volkswagene Eos
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 09:25:19 pm »
if the Eos was out a couple of years, there would be a good chance it would be in driveway instead of the BMW

Mitlov

Re: CTC Review: 2008 Volkswagene Eos
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 10:18:55 pm »
The Eos is the least expensive hardtop convertible on the market currently and fills an interesting niche.

Really?  Cheaper than the Sebring and the G6?  Though I'll admit it's in an entirely different class than those when it comes to desirability ;)

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 10:26:48 pm »
Is the hardtop noisy at all in the cold? This is what CR had to say about the hardtop G6 and Sebring:

'Then the noises settled in. When it was cold, multiple noises and creaks came from the hardtop. Our G6 wasn't the only convertible in the fleet to do this; loud, nearly-continuous creaks came from the interface between the roof and windshield header in our hardtop Chrysler Sebring Limited convertible, as well. That's assuming you can hear them over the wind noise, suspension groans, or the luggage blind rattling around in the trunk. One logbook comment says that the Sebring is "noisier than a pickup truck loaded with plastic pipe."'

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 10:34:23 pm »
I thought the same thing - but Chrysler's website is useless when it comes to pricing.   >:(  From what I can tell, the hardtop is a $2300 option on the Touring and Limited models (not on the base).  If that's correct, then the Eos is cheaper at MSRP.  Sebring Touring MSRP is $34 145 +2300 = $36 445.  Eos starts at $35 975 - and as you say, is much more desirable.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 11:02:47 pm »
And the G6 is $35,995 $20 more :P

You know I totally forgot about the miata!  Doh!  I'll edit that to say 4 seater ;)

cricri1234

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 11:26:55 pm »
My wife has an eos. It's a great car, very classy and it turns heads a lot with the top down. Also I always thought it looked better in person than on pictures.

About the top. In the summer time the top is very quiet. In the winter you'll hear the frozen rubber seals push against one another so yes it's creaking over potholes but it's nothing loud and we expected that when we bought the car anyway.

The one problem about driving this car in winter time is that the frameless doors will cause the windows to freeze shut on cold mornings. Because the windows can't clear the roof seals you can't get inside the car without forcing the door open. Once you're inside warming up the car restores windows operation and you're able to close the door shut and drive away... happened 3 times this winter. Best advice is to buy a remote starter to avoid this scenario.

One surprising positive point in favor of this car is that's it's relatively cheap to insure, at least in quebec. Maybe it's common to all hard top convertibles.

Wolfe

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 11:29:14 pm »

You know I totally forgot about the miata! 

Elitist S2000 drivers :nono:

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 11:39:48 pm »
:rofl: :rofl2:

About the top. In the summer time the top is very quiet. In the winter you'll hear the frozen rubber seals push against one another so yes it's creaking over potholes but it's nothing loud and we expected that when we bought the car anyway.

I think this is an important point: anyone who buys a car like this and then complains about roof noise is just being silly.  You buy a convertible, you learn to live with the little foibles - I think a little bit of noise is worth it for roof-down motoring in the good months.  :)

stevenjb

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 12:11:20 am »
I am looking for a Hard Top Convert.

On the list:

VW EOS - Like the styling
Mazda MX5 - Less complex Hard Top
Chrysler Sebring - Good looking car - _plus_ Chrysler's Unlimited DriveTrain Warranty

Living in California - I am not too concerned with hard winters - it drops to 50 degrees here and we hit the stores for food and duralogs to hold out till the temp rises.

Question about the VW EOS:

There have been some internet reported issues related to moderate to severe leaks with the top seals.  During Canadian Drivers time with this car - was any leakage observed?  And if so, how bad?  Did the dealer resolve the issue?

Mitlov

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 12:34:57 am »
If you're willing to live with a two-seater, the MX-5 is far and away the best of the three.  And given that you live in California, there's no disadvantage to RWD.  Go for the Miata, hands down.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 12:44:05 am »
Miata all the way.

Fun to drive, relatively quick, handles great, etc. etc. etc...most reliable out of the group as well.

It might not be as comfortable as the EOS or Sebring though, if you care about that.

Mitlov

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 01:05:54 am »
Miata all the way.

Fun to drive, relatively quick, handles great, etc. etc. etc...most reliable out of the group as well.

It might not be as comfortable as the EOS or Sebring though, if you care about that.

:iagree:  If comfort, interior ambiance, and a brilliant turbocharged engine are important, go with the Eos.  If sportiness and statistical reliability are important, go with the Mazda.  If...wait, what does the Sebring bring to the table again?

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 01:11:11 am »
Miata all the way.

:iagree:  If comfort, interior ambiance, and a brilliant turbocharged engine are important, go with the Eos.  If sportiness and statistical reliability are important, go with the Mazda.  If...wait, what does the Sebring bring to the table again?

Sebring brings poor quality to the table.  :P I have read so many negative things about the Sebring...body flex, poor interior quality, horrible driving dynamics...etc. I would rather purchase the Solara for that type of convertible.

bhp

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 02:48:21 am »
nice car, US pricing starts at 28900 vs 35900 in canada.  When are they going to price it at par?  Even with 6.1% duty, it's still worth it to buy from US

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2008, 08:44:23 am »
I really like the EOS -- but only with the top down.  With the top up, it looks kinda funny to me, in a slopey, Solara-type way.

Great price point and value for the money, though.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2008, 09:13:06 am »
...so it's a CHICK car then......or is that just an Eosops! fable..... ::) :P

Theorem....All VW coverts are chick cars Eos is a VW therefore Girls gone wild videos are easier to shoot..... :run:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

ngm

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2008, 09:55:05 am »
I have a base model 07 Eos (and I don't give a crap if people think its a chick car).  To answer some questions:

1) Never had a major leak issue. However, as with all cars with frameless windows, careful how you point that pressure washer when cleaning (too close or at the wrong angle will force water into the car.   Also, the seals must be maintained with Krytox.  VWVortex Eos forum has tons of info, for those that are interested.

2) It is somewhat noisy in the winter, but expected considering its a convertible.

My purchase decision was simple - it is the best value out of the 4 seater, hardtop convertibles.  The G6 has no cargo space with the top down and the front windscreen/windshield you have avoid when entering the car, and it's almost the same price.  The redesigned Sebring wasn't out yet, but I don't like their styling or pricing, regardless. 

Buying in the US presents some warranty problems and with 470 parts in the roof alone, the warranty is something I did want, considering I purchased it in the first year of production.

As for annoyances, I hate how VW packages their options.  My base Eos doesn't have steering wheel controls or a trip computer.  I don't care that it's base - the car was over 40K (w/ tax, etc.) and I expect at least that for equipment in general.  It's annoying how I need to get the entire package of stuff (at 4K) in order to get those basics with stuff I don't want. 

Otherwise, dropping the top at anytime and driving puts a grin on my face.  :)  And no, -15C isn't too cold.  LOL

PS: For those wondering what a base interior looks like, I have pics in the Show and Shine forum.  I know for me here in Alberta, base models are rare - so you don't even get to see what you're buying generally.  Dealers tend to carry the loaded model.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 10:06:19 am by ngm »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2008, 10:12:09 am »
I think the only problem with -15C drive ,would be the hydraulic equipment for the roof , they do not seem work to well when cold. I dont think they would have a hydraulic oil heater

ngm

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2008, 01:04:35 pm »
Nah, I was kidding. You're right, -15C is definitely too cold.  The Eos locks out roof operation at temperatures -15C and below to prevent damage to the hydraulic components. 

Coldest I've gone out comfortably is -10C, full sunshine, heater and bun warmers on max, windows up.  :D