Author Topic: The Cycling Thread  (Read 1068041 times)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: The Cycling Thread
« Reply #3640 on: July 04, 2015, 05:15:08 am »
Just got home from another night ride with the new group I met this year. Really liking these social rides where you ride to the pub 25 kms away, have a drink/food then ride back in the dark. Can't wait for the next one.

That does sound like fun.  Just dragged myself out of bed - going to try a 60k route - then home to watch the TdF.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #3641 on: July 04, 2015, 09:00:18 am »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #3642 on: July 04, 2015, 09:03:52 am »
Gezus, this is where I ride.

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2015/07/04/cyclist-killed-in-hit-and-run-in-milton.html

I also read that and it makes me mad.

An Oakville woman, 33, has been charged with impaired operation causing death, blood alcohol level over 80, dangerous operation causing death and failing to stop at a scene causing death.

I think this is the 3rd or 4th DUI hit/run in the last month. People that drive drunk should instantly go to pound you up the ass prison.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #3643 on: July 04, 2015, 09:15:31 am »
Gezus, this is where I ride.

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2015/07/04/cyclist-killed-in-hit-and-run-in-milton.html

I also read that and it makes me mad.

An Oakville woman, 33, has been charged with impaired operation causing death, blood alcohol level over 80, dangerous operation causing death and failing to stop at a scene causing death.

I think this is the 3rd or 4th DUI hit/run in the last month. People that drive drunk should instantly go to pound you up the ass prison.

Agree 100%.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #3644 on: July 04, 2015, 05:07:49 pm »
I ride that stretch of road on almost every single ride.  Effing lady took off and left the guy to die.  Despicable.

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford F150 XLT
« Reply #3645 on: July 08, 2015, 08:41:17 pm »
Had my first noob moment with the clipless peddles. Noticed my shoe lace was wrapped around my peddle. So I tried to move my foot away to untangle it. When I notice it wasn't moving I figured it was caught in the chain as well.  After I stopped and unlocked my other foot I realized why my shoe lace was still wrapped around the peddle

:rofl:

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #3646 on: July 09, 2015, 02:46:42 pm »
Woo-hoo!!! Finally got my mtb back today! Rear shock was pooched and had to go back for a rebuild. Missed 2 1/2 weeks of perfect riding weather.  :(

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: July 09, 2015, 03:42:29 pm »
Found an all city route today that is about 2/3 bike lane and the remainder four lane that makes easy for vehicles to get around me. I was impressed by the lack of incidents on the ride with drivers.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #3648 on: July 09, 2015, 04:51:21 pm »
Good speed.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
The Cycling Thread
« Reply #3649 on: July 09, 2015, 08:55:48 pm »
In Lake Placid. Got ready to do the Whiteface climb, drive  to the start and the rain begins. Only 17c at the bottom  which means single digits at the top. We decide to cancel as the thought of decending in the cold rain on a wet road while I'm shivering going 60+ kph just isn't any fun.

Will do it tomorrow  at the start of our ride then finish it off with a lap of the IM loop. The forecast says sunny.   

One good thing is they finally paved the road as it was scary at any speed over 20 kph.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 08:57:52 pm by quadzilla »

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3650 on: July 10, 2015, 06:51:15 am »
Good speed.

My thoughts too.  And exactly why I aint posting any of my rides.  :-[

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #3651 on: July 10, 2015, 09:45:22 am »
I was impressed by the lack of incidents on the ride with drivers.

Same here, lately on my rides on country roads, people passing me in cars leave me plenty of space when passing, 1 -1.5 m. Yesterday I even had a truck, and later in another location a car, waiting patiently behind me for an occasion to pass safely! Just like in Europe! I hope the message is finally getting across.

BTW I did 63.5 km yesterday at 30.7 KPH.. ;)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
The Cycling Thread
« Reply #3652 on: July 10, 2015, 08:43:03 pm »
Sunny morning. Started my day off with a not so nice HC climb up Whiteface, 12.7 km and 1079 meters of climbing. Happy I did it in sub 1 hr 15 mins. Then the real fun starts as decending 10% grades is fast, real fast. Let go of the brakes and all of a sudden you are going over 50 kph and increasing.

About 7 km into the descent I here a loud bang and I can feel the back of my bike shaking uncontrollably. Get the bike stopped  which was easier than I thought. Check the tire and it's fine, then spin the wheel and it won't budge.  No wonder the stopped. Great, broke a spoke and the wheel was more than out of true. Walk down to the main gate about 500m down the road hoping to find somebody  driving to the botttom. Lucky for me there was somebody and he gave me a ride back to camp.

Drive to the bike shop  and find out not only was it a spoke, my rim also has a bad crack in it. Sh!t. Had to buy a new wheel, not happy.

Back to camp and get ready for another 85 kms and 800m of climbing. Long day, very tired.

The plan for tomorrow is a 120 km fun ride which means we will throw in a nice lunch break  in the middle?  Think there are only 3 big climbs on this route.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #3653 on: July 10, 2015, 08:48:10 pm »
Sunny morning. Started my day off with a not so nice HC climb up Whiteface, 12.7 km and 1079 meters of climbing. Happy I did it in sub 1 hr 15 mins. Then the real fun starts as decending 10% grades is fast, real fast. Let go of the brakes and all of a sudden you are going over 50 kph and increasing.

About 7 km into the descent I here a loud bang and I can feel the back of my bike shaking uncontrollably. Get the bike stopped  which was easier than I thought. Check the tire and it's fine, then spin the wheel and it won't budge.  No wonder the stopped. Great, broke a spoke and the wheel was more than out of true. Walk down to the main gate about 500m down the road hoping to find somebody  driving to the botttom. Lucky for me there was somebody and he gave me a ride back to camp.

Drive to the bike shop  and find out not only was it a spoke, my rim also has a bad crack in it. Sh!t. Had to buy a new wheel, not happy.

Back to camp and get ready for another 85 kms and 800m of climbing. Long day, very tired.

The plan for tomorrow is a 120 km fun ride which means we will throw in a nice lunch break  in the middle?  Think there are only 3 big climbs on this route.

You could always go for a little swim in Mirror Lake. ;D
What kind of wheels BTW?
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
The Cycling Thread
« Reply #3654 on: July 11, 2015, 12:22:51 am »
These are my wheels. Replaced the rear with the same one.

http://www.mavic.us/wheels-road-triathlon-ksyrium-elite-s

Swimming would be great if I knew how.

Been seeing some really nice tri and road bikes. Lots of strong riders here, I saw at least 10 people climbing Whiteface  today.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
The Cycling Thread
« Reply #3655 on: July 12, 2015, 12:16:14 am »
Tough ride today as it was very hot. It was at least 35 C and felt like 40  while doing the hardest climb of the day in the noon hour sun. Even when I got to the bottom of the descent it was stupid hot and even the air was hot. Must have drank at least 10 liters today.

Still manged to get in 125 kms with over 1200 m of climbing.

Stopped at a pub called The Halfway House in between Elizabethtown and New Russia and it turned out to be good place especially  for being in the middle of nowhere. That pint went down very fast.

Saw at least 100 tri guys out training and same number of motorcycles. Even saw a Cobra  which sounded awesome.

Last day tomorrow so only a short ride.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: July 12, 2015, 02:13:08 pm »

If I was to consider a used road bike what things should I look for other then size,  and tire condition?  I feel Im reaching my riding limit with my hybrid.  Plus almost everyone else had s road bike it seems. If I was to meet a group or person to ride with I'd be trailing behind by maybe 5km /hr or more. I don't know a lot about cranks but but I think I'd like compact.

By far the most important thing when buying a (road) bike, whether new or used, is the fit. Everything else is secondary.

It can be difficult at first to figure out the correct frame size. You can use online fit calculators to get an idea of your approximate frame size. Most online bike stores also have some kind of a size guide that will help you get started. I would recommend a bike fitting, if you don't mind spending a hundred or two on it. It's not necessary and most people get started without it, but can save you both money and, more importantly, make the riding experience so much more enjoyable as compared to riding a wrong frame size. All of the above is based on the assumption that you're buying privately. If you have access to a reputable bike store that sells second hand bikes that is your best bet.

In addition to the frame size, you should consider if you think you'd be better served with a frame that has a taller headtube for a more upright riding position. There's been an increasing trend lately for these more gran fondo or comfort oriented road bikes as compared to bikes with a traditional race geometry. Given that this would be your first road bike, the chances are that you'd find a more upright riding position more comfortable. That said, if you're flexible there's no reason you can't go with a more race oriented geometry (that's what I did and am very happy with my choice).

As for wear items, tires are easily replaceable as necessary, but can add up to a hundred bucks to the purchase cost. A chain should last 5,000 kilometres or more, if properly maintained, but can give in less than a thousand if not treated properly. A cassette should last three times as much as the chain. The derailleurs and shifters and brakes should last much longer - some say 30,000 kms or more. This can vary, but my point is that if you can find a well maintained, low mileage bike, it will last you a long time without much worry about having to replace parts.

Re: cranks, compact 54/30 cranksets are almost a standard nowadays. Only the more expensive pro level bikes tend to come with a standard 53/39 crankset. Compact combined with a 12-28 or even 12-30 cassette should make for a hill friendly set.

You should definitely give road biking try. Chances are you'll like it and if not you can always sell the bike for a little loss.
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford F150 XLT
« Reply #3658 on: July 12, 2015, 02:35:02 pm »
Great info thanks! Three is a fairly large bike shop nearby that has a good selection of used and new bikes. That is probably by best option at this point to ensure I get a proper fitting one.

If I was to consider a used road bike what things should I look for other then size,  and tire condition?  I feel Im reaching my riding limit with my hybrid.  Plus almost everyone else had s road bike it seems. If I was to meet a group or person to ride with I'd be trailing behind by maybe 5km /hr or more. I don't know a lot about cranks but but I think I'd like compact.

By far the most important thing when buying a (road) bike, whether new or used, is the fit. Everything else is secondary.

It can be difficult at first to figure out the correct frame size. You can use online fit calculators to get an idea of your approximate frame size. Most online bike stores also have some kind of a size guide that will help you get started. I would recommend a bike fitting, if you don't mind spending a hundred or two on it. It's not necessary and most people get started without it, but can save you both money and, more importantly, make the riding experience so much more enjoyable as compared to riding a wrong frame size. All of the above is based on the assumption that you're buying privately. If you have access to a reputable bike store that sells second hand bikes that is your best bet.

In addition to the frame size, you should consider if you think you'd be better served with a frame that has a taller headtube for a more upright riding position. There's been an increasing trend lately for these more gran fondo or comfort oriented road bikes as compared to bikes with a traditional race geometry. Given that this would be your first road bike, the chances are that you'd find a more upright riding position more comfortable. That said, if you're flexible there's no reason you can't go with a more race oriented geometry (that's what I did and am very happy with my choice).

As for wear items, tires are easily replaceable as necessary, but can add up to a hundred bucks to the purchase cost. A chain should last 5,000 kilometres or more, if properly maintained, but can give in less than a thousand if not treated properly. A cassette should last three times as much as the chain. The derailleurs and shifters and brakes should last much longer - some say 30,000 kms or more. This can vary, but my point is that if you can find a well maintained, low mileage bike, it will last you a long time without much worry about having to replace parts.

Re: cranks, compact 54/30 cranksets are almost a standard nowadays. Only the more expensive pro level bikes tend to come with a standard 53/39 crankset. Compact combined with a 12-28 or even 12-30 cassette should make for a hill friendly set.

You should definitely give road biking try. Chances are you'll like it and if not you can always sell the bike for a little loss.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3659 on: July 12, 2015, 03:46:43 pm »
Great advice.