Author Topic: How much does it cost to fix alternator?  (Read 38620 times)

Offline picard

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
How much does it cost to fix alternator?
« on: December 25, 2005, 11:29:39 pm »
How much does it cost to fix the alternator on my accord 93 4cyl? Should I take to dealer or crappy tire? Does anyone know the estimated cost???

vtec_inside

Re: How much does it cost to fix alternator?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 02:45:06 am »
Honda alternators tend to be on the pricey side. I think its like $300 for the one in my '89 Accord.

Figure in about 1-1.5hrs of labour at 75-80/hr. I'm thinking anywhere between $300-$400 for the job depending on where you go.

Offline picard

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 10:04:53 am »
where did you get your replacement alternator? was it crappy tire? where can I get it other than dealer and crappy tire. I really don't trust crappy tire. crappy tire mechanics are really stupid.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 01:54:01 pm »
Truth in Advertising...?....

Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 03:32:01 pm »
How much does it cost to fix the alternator on my accord 93 4cyl? Should I take to dealer or crappy tire? Does anyone know the estimated cost???

Ok, what are the symptoms? How much voltage is showing across the battery terminals at idle?  (Get a basic multimeter and set it to volts and place one lead on positive terminal and other lead on negative terminal).

There are 2 ways to go here: 1. buy a reman with your old one as a core or 2. get the old one repaired

It also may be a bad wire connection.

Remans are below $200 if you shop around.  A set of brushes are about $40.  How many KMs on motor?  As for labour, shop for a private garage that fix Hondas.

rtech

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 06:28:43 pm »
If you do in fact need an alternator, I would suspect you car has 200,000 Km ++++

At this point if you spread the 300.00 cost over the life of the vehicle, your alternator actualy cost you less than 1/3 rd

what it would cost for most domestices... any way, Canadian Tire shops are only as good as the technicians working in your local store.

The price differance between an OEM alternator and the Bosch that they are currently selling is not likley that much..

Have you added an after market sterio and Amp to your car??? If yess then the OEM or the after market are both likely to fail in short order

Good Luck..

Offline picard

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2005, 07:13:37 pm »
can I buy alternator from junk yard? would it work? Intruments lights are dimming across the board. I assume this is alternator.

barrie1

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2005, 09:42:18 pm »
Is this engine making any squeeling sounds at all which could be the drivebelt slipping and burning. If it is the alternator then you don't have long from the sound of it as your Battery is going to die very shortly. Sounds like the Battery is already holding the car together to drive. Either have this one rebuilt or replaced as you will be walking very shortly.  :)

David Mac

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006, 12:55:40 am »
You can get it rebuilt for $80 to $100.
Look in your yellow pages for
Auto electric repair.
Had my starter rebuilt for $75 cash.

barrie1

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2006, 09:58:07 pm »
Yes that could be done but the price will be determined by the actual parts they have to replace in the alt. It could be around the same or possibly even more depending on what is wrong with it. Usually it is the cheapest way to go with any vehicle is to rebuild the one you have.  :)

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2006, 12:19:08 am »
Yes that could be done but the price will be determined by the actual parts they have to replace in the alt. It could be around the same or possibly even more depending on what is wrong with it. Usually it is the cheapest way to go with any vehicle is to rebuild the one you have.  :)

for my old Camaro a new alternator was cheaper than rebuilding it  :rofl2:

SBC parts are so cheap!  8)

barrie1

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2006, 12:20:36 am »
Yes that can happen but thats GM for you. Their parts are usually very reasonably priced.  :)