Author Topic: modern stud technology  (Read 2016 times)

mazda626

modern stud technology
« on: December 15, 2008, 12:20:27 am »
How many people have tried modern studded tires? We got our first real snow this week and I finally got a chance to put my studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5 tires to use. I was starting to regret buying studded tires because the are so noisy on dry pavement and the grip was poor compared to the OEM Pirelli P6 tires.

AWD with studded tires is awesome in the snow! There is no comparison to my old FWD Mazda 626 with Michelin X-Ice tires, my new car takes no skill to drive. In fact my wife got stuck backing the Mazda out of the driveway and had to be shoveled out. The AWD car feels unstoppable with almost no wheel spin. I take a lot of pleasure pulling around stuck cars and plowing through deep mushy snow while people stare at me in disbelief. The combination of traction control, ABS, and ASC with studded tires is great!

Some people claim that studs are totally unnecessary with todays winter tire technology, but have they considered modern rubber AND studs? My experience has convinced me that having both is a killer combination.

vdk

Re: modern stud technology
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 08:40:27 am »
What do you drive? Audi?  ???

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 12:11:10 pm »
 ??? ::)  I'M CRUSHED   nobody axxed ME!!??? :P
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-434
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 12:24:41 pm »
I don't buy the theory that modern winter compounds etc are better than traditional old studs. I have run both types and IMO the studded tires far outperform the others in truly nasty conditions. Now in other situations (dry, wet) the studs are noisy and traction sucks. Take your pick. I believe the Finns are still 80%+ running studded tires.

In Calgary I think you are better off with a modern non stud tire. I went with non-stud tires for the Dakota this year but then again I carry a full set of chains if things get real nasty.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 12:30:19 pm »
 but then again I carry a full set of chains if things get real nasty.
[/quote]..........

I didn't appreciate the handcuffs in -35C Calgary weather................ ::) :P

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-434
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 12:45:46 pm »
but then again I carry a full set of chains if things get real nasty.

I didn't appreciate the handcuffs in -35C Calgary weather................ ::) :P
[/quote]

Don't worry., I haven't pulled them out of their bags in three years...