Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT SE  (Read 15807 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT SE
« on: January 10, 2013, 06:30:47 am »

An award-winning new hatchback that blends value, practicality and style in a sporty, feature-rich package

Read More...

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT SE
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 07:39:41 am »
Sounds like another solid effort from the Hyundia/Kia twins. I've read somewhere that the headlights are less than great......my only complaint.   ;)
Have Car......Will Travel

Online Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 08:02:47 am »
Top pick of the Elantra trio.  At least until they stuff the little turbo 4 into the Elantra Coupe.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 08:16:23 am »
Sounds like another solid effort from the Hyundia/Kia twins. I've read somewhere that the headlights are less than great......my only complaint.   ;)

At the risk of being called biased, I'll report that I've had no issues with mine (I drive an Elantra GT GLS 6MT as my winter car). They're projectors, so there's a nice clean cut-off. I have retrofitted brighter bulbs, but I do this on all cars which don't have HIDs.

I often drive in rural Northern Ontario and I've been happy with the lighting performance.
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 08:24:19 am »
so the 148HP Direct Injection low torquer I had in my Veloster lives on in many an iteration.............it is/was an IRRITATION..when ya want to PASS..............the Outside looks comes with a downside............scooter power on the torque side.................. :'(
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 08:43:42 am »
so the 148HP Direct Injection low torquer I had in my Veloster lives on in many an iteration.............it is/was an IRRITATION..when ya want to PASS..............the Outside looks comes with a downside............scooter power on the torque side.................. :'(

This is a different engine than your Veloster had, Saf. It's a 1.8L with port injection. It makes noticeably more torque across the range.

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Nissan Sentra (AKA The Toaster)
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 08:50:57 am »
This truly is a very attractive car both inside and out. Lots of features for the $ and sounds like they have addressed SOME of the handling issues.

It still falls behind the Focus and Mazda 3 for me as I value the driving experience more than the price/feature ratio but if they ever throw the 1.6 Turbo from the Velocetor and a 6 speed stick in one ...oh that would be a tough choice.

Online Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 09:03:04 am »

At the risk of being called biased, I'll report that I've had no issues with mine (I drive an Elantra GT GLS 6MT as my winter car). They're projectors, so there's a nice clean cut-off. I have retrofitted brighter bulbs, but I do this on all cars which don't have HIDs.

I often drive in rural Northern Ontario and I've been happy with the lighting performance.

Force - could you recommend what brighter bulbs I might get for my Sonata?  Is this something that the Hyundai dealer would stock - and if not - where do I get them?

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 09:06:50 am »
The last time I read a review on this site there was mention of a sqeaky panoramic sunroof and a ride that wasn't very compliant over rough roads. Any notice of those things this time around?

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 09:18:05 am »
No stick in the SE is very unfortunate as it's a very nicely equipped hatch otherwise.

I'm glad that companies like Mazda and VW still offer sticks in their higher trim levels.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 09:26:18 am »
My feeling is that the overall approach of GT to the hatchback category customers makes it better than Focus/Mazda3...No infoteinment issues or open mouth here plus not overstyling as its four door cousin! The look is handsome, stylish and sporty!

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 09:33:03 am »

Force - could you recommend what brighter bulbs I might get for my Sonata?  Is this something that the Hyundai dealer would stock - and if not - where do I get them?

My guess would be GE Nighthawks or Sylvannia Silverstars.  I have found the Silverstars don't last as long.

Offline Spheric

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 10:10:33 am »
From my biased perspective, Hyundai has made a good effort here, but is still a few years off from having a model to realistically challenge the VW Golf.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 10:14:01 am »
This truly is a very attractive car both inside and out. Lots of features for the $ and sounds like they have addressed SOME of the handling issues.

It still falls behind the Focus and Mazda 3 for me as I value the driving experience more than the price/feature ratio but if they ever throw the 1.6 Turbo from the Velocetor and a 6 speed stick in one ...oh that would be a tough choice.

Force has said it ain't gonna happen, despite our calls for it...any other news on that front?

I really like the interior of the Elantra GT, though I hope the creaky panoramic sunroof issue is resolved.  Would still prefer the i30 wagon myself, but I get that Hyundai tried that last time with the Touring and wants to go in a different direction.  Does Hyundai break down the Elantra sales by body style?  How is the GT selling compared to the Focus and Mazda3 hatchbacks?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 10:28:35 am »

This is a different engine than your Veloster had, Saf. It's a 1.8L with port injection. It makes noticeably more torque across the range.

NOTICEABLY more Torque..................ya mean ya can get outta BED with that EXTRA torque ??? :stick: ...force be not with U
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 10:33:02 am by safristi »

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 10:42:31 am »

My guess would be GE Nighthawks or Sylvannia Silverstars.  I have found the Silverstars don't last as long.

I actually run PIAA bulbs in mine - H7 ExtremeWhite 4100k for the high beam and H11 Night-Tech for the low-beam.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 10:43:16 am »
Looks like a great little car for the money, but why isn't the turbo in this Elantra version right from its introduction? So obvious a move, I would think? I've read numerous reviews that say the GT handles and rides better than the other Elantra versions. Including right here less than a month ago;

http://www.autos.ca/first-drives/first-drive-2013-hyundai-elantra-gt/ 

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 10:55:06 am »

Force has said it ain't gonna happen, despite our calls for it...any other news on that front?

I really like the interior of the Elantra GT, though I hope the creaky panoramic sunroof issue is resolved.  Would still prefer the i30 wagon myself, but I get that Hyundai tried that last time with the Touring and wants to go in a different direction.  Does Hyundai break down the Elantra sales by body style?  How is the GT selling compared to the Focus and Mazda3 hatchbacks?

I too prefer the i30 wagon.  But appreciate that the GT differs somewhat (handling) from the other Elantras.  It seems really strange that Hyundai has decided to put the 1.6L turbo in the Veloster, after all the reviews saying how slow it was, compared to how fast it looks.  So they put this turbo in a car that is more like a niche model, but doesn't use the engine anywhere else?  To get money back after developing it, don't they want to offer it in other models.  I find Hyundai/Kia listens to the public, more so than some other car manufacturers, so I am sure if we speak up, we may see it in a couple of years, I hope in the GT, but expect it in the coupe, to compete with the Civic Si.   

BTW, the name GT is a little weird.  I have an Hyundai Elantra GT SE, now that's a mouthful!

Offline Nuttygent

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-20
  • Every man dies...but not every man lives
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Forte5 SX
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 10:57:41 am »
  Not a bad effort at all, but lacking an independent rear suspension in comparison to all its competitors. Previous touring had the IRS which is a step backward unfortunately. The turbo 1.6 would definitely be a step in the right direction though.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 11:34:24 am »
From my biased perspective, Hyundai has made a good effort here, but is still a few years off from having a model to realistically challenge the VW Golf.
I don't think Hyundai has this goal in North America...Hyundai here builds the segment, leaving Honda and Toyota without real products in it and Mazda3 and Focus are good competitors. Golf is different category on itself own - overpriced, less reliable and over German engineered. It never gona be number one in this class, especially if we don't consider its TDI/GTI versions!