Author Topic: Long-Term Test Arrival: 2016 Kia Sorento SX  (Read 17822 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Long-Term Test Arrival: 2016 Kia Sorento SX
« on: November 27, 2015, 06:30:37 am »

A winner under the microscope.
Read More...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: Long-Term Test Arrival: 2016 Kia Sorento SX
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 07:57:06 am »
A naturally aspirated V6, with a 6 speed auto that handles 5000lbs towing capacity, nice to see another vehicle that has that combo.  Only other I can think of are the Pilot, Santa Fe XL, and Highlander. 

If you feel like driving out to Burlington, my camper (2200lbs) is available to tow if you would like....

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 08:12:26 am »
It's gonna be a winter test mainly, right?  Why not tow a trailer with a couple of snow machines in it up to Sudbury to visit Pritch and do some sledding?  That set-up should be just around 3500lbs, so well within the tow ratings & then you can report back on how it did.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 08:27:49 am »
The Sorento EX AWD trim, compared to the Highlander XLE AWD trim, which is the closest trim, is over $4000 cheaper and still has more features, like heated steering wheel, 18' tires, keyless entry, memory seating, auto up/down on all windows. 

Priced very well.   

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 10:03:08 am »
The Sorento EX AWD trim, compared to the Highlander XLE AWD trim, which is the closest trim, is over $4000 cheaper and still has more features, like heated steering wheel, 18' tires, keyless entry, memory seating, auto up/down on all windows. 

Priced very well.
yup...my wife really likes this vehicle...i think the new redesign looks good, and the reviews on it have been quite favourable.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 10:25:33 am »
This will be added to the list when it comes time to replace the CR-V.  Seems like a good value. 
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 10:30:18 am »
This will be added to the list when it comes time to replace the CR-V.  Seems like a good value.

It does seem like a really good value, only issue I have with Kia & Hyundai right now is the resale values are so poor... so if you're going to keep the car for 4 - 6yrs and then trade it in, it will be valued at 20-30% less than one of it's competitors.  Now if you keep it until you drive it into the ground, that's not an issue.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 10:35:35 am »

It does seem like a really good value, only issue I have with Kia & Hyundai right now is the resale values are so poor... so if you're going to keep the car for 4 - 6yrs and then trade it in, it will be valued at 20-30% less than one of it's competitors.  Now if you keep it until you drive it into the ground, that's not an issue.

Yes that is a concern.  I doubt that this will end up in our garage (I'm guessing the wife acceptance factor will be low), but I like to test drive most vehicles that meet our criteria.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 10:38:48 am »

Yes that is a concern.  I doubt that this will end up in our garage (I'm guessing the wife acceptance factor will be low), but I like to test drive most vehicles that meet our criteria.
you might be concerned about the WAF...my wife loves it (we haven't driven one yet), but it the EX trim has everything she wants...heated seats, heated steering wheel, back up camera, smart key with push button start...plus you can get either the 2.0T for about $36k or upgrade to the V6 for an extra $1100 (not sure which i'd prefer...the 2.0T is likely decent, but for some reason, i kind of like the V6 idea for a vehicle this size).

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 11:16:58 am »

you might be concerned about the WAF...my wife loves it (we haven't driven one yet), but it the EX trim has everything she wants...heated seats, heated steering wheel, back up camera, smart key with push button start...plus you can get either the 2.0T for about $36k or upgrade to the V6 for an extra $1100 (not sure which i'd prefer...the 2.0T is likely decent, but for some reason, i kind of like the V6 idea for a vehicle this size).

She can be a bit of a badge whore  ;D.  I know, she drives a Honda, but Honda has a good reputation.  Let's face it, Hyundai and Kia's reputation isn't there yet.

She would love to be in an Audi.  The Q5 isn't large enough for our needs, and the Q7's price tag is too large for my budget.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 11:19:31 am by bridgecity »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 11:21:43 am »
She can be a bit of a badge whore  ;D.  I know, she drives a Honda, but Honda has a good reputation.  Let's face it, Hyundai and Kia's reputation isn't there yet.

She would love to be in an Audi.  The Q5 isn't large enough for our needs, and the Q7 is too large for my budget.
Hyundai and Kia have been making very good vehicles for several years now...my wife is the opposite from yours i guess...she couldn't care less about the badge...she wants something that will suit her needs, is reliable and affordable to run, has the features she wants, and is in the budget we want to spend...if that's a Honda, a Kia or Lexus, it doesn't matter.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 11:21:51 am »
It's gonna be a winter test mainly, right?  Why not tow a trailer with a couple of snow machines in it up to Sudbury to visit Pritch and do some sledding?  That set-up should be just around 3500lbs, so well within the tow ratings & then you can report back on how it did.

3500lbs trailer weight would probably be close to what the vehicle could safely tow at 5000lbs rating. 

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 11:26:32 am »

She would love to be in an Audi.  The Q5 isn't large enough for our needs, and the Q7 is too large for my budget.
Hyundai and Kia have been making very good vehicles for several years now...my wife is the opposite from yours i guess...she couldn't care less about the badge...she wants something that will suit her needs, is reliable and affordable to run, has the features she wants, and is in the budget we want to spend...if that's a Honda, a Kia or Lexus, it doesn't matter.

Not the opposite, just add a "badge" to your list and they're pretty much the same  ;D

No denying that they've made good vehicles for several years now.  Also no denying that their reputation hasn't caught up with what they are producing.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2015, 11:44:04 am »

I think this is just perception and no longer reality (its 2016, time to move on), might have been at one time, but many of their models have some of the best in there class resale values and also many of their vehicles are far more reliable than the vast majority of there competitors.  The Sorento was picked by Consumer Report as the most reliable midsized SUV, also KIA was in the "most reliable" section for new-car predicted reliability, where Honda and Hyundai where down the list in the "reliable" section.
You want poor reliability, check out the Lincoln's, Mercedes, Chryslers, Dodges, Cadillac, Jeep and Fiat - wonder how their resale value are  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2015, 11:56:36 am »
My only concern is surrounding the A-pillars and other outward visibility.  JY, I look forward to your impressions on this redesign.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2015, 12:02:51 pm »

I think this is just perception and no longer reality (its 2016, time to move on), might have been at one time, but many of their models have some of the best in there class resale values and also many of their vehicles are far more reliable than the vast majority of there competitors.  The Sorento was picked by Consumer Report as the most reliable midsized SUV, also KIA was in the "most reliable" section for new-car predicted reliability, where Honda and Hyundai where down the list in the "reliable" section.
You want poor reliability, check out the Lincoln's, Mercedes, Chryslers, Dodges, Cadillac, Jeep and Fiat - wonder how their resale value are  ;D ;D ;D

Ok, reality. Tell me ONE Kia model that has better resale value than a comparable Japanese model, heck, I'll even compare to the Domestics. I'm bored today, I'll look up sales stats from every dealer auction in Canada and the US along with Trader asking prices. I always see Kia's roll through the rental return lane at auction going for really cheap.

Best "predictable" reliability?!?!?

Sorry, but I've met very few happy Kia owners. Granted, all of them have kept the hapless lumps for over 7 years as the resale value makes in not worth trading in.

Kia is getting there, I really dig the styling of most of their products. But not up to Honda/Toyota  levels of polish, refinement, and quality imo. They have a good value proposition at a discounted price verses the competition, but not even money.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 12:04:47 pm by revalations »

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2015, 12:06:52 pm »
^^ Thanks revalations, the Sorento has just been scratched off the list  ;D
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 12:21:03 pm by bridgecity »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2015, 12:10:18 pm »
Kia is getting there, I really dig the styling of most of their products. But not up to Honda/Toyota  levels of polish, refinement, and quality imo. They have a good value proposition at a discounted price verses the competition, but not even money.
their current product is comparable to Honda/Toyota in terms of reliability, and in many cases, Kia products will exceed its competition in terms of equipment level and value...also, i know several owners of Kia (and Hyundai) products, all of which have been positive (i own one of each personally as well)...they have been just as reliable as the Toyota and Honda products we've owned (and other people i know who've owned them) and have been better than the domestic products they replaced (one Hyundai owner owned a Civic previously, who then traded it in after 3 years of non-sense dealing with so many problems).

if you read the reviews of this new vehicle (Sorento), it gets very solid reviews, including a UK one where they compared it against the LR Discovery Sport (and picked the Kia as the one to get).
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 12:12:53 pm by dirtyjeffer »

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2015, 01:59:55 pm »

Well, lets see... here's a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland edition selling for $30k http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Jeep/Grand+Cherokee/Thornhill/Ontario/5_25667853_ON20090112102238078/?ursrc=hl&showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=11_15_31  That seems to be about the mid-range asking price for that model.  New it was about $50k + taxes, so it's retained 60% of it's value roughly,

Then here's a 2012 Sorento selling for $20k, about it's midpoint on the used market http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Kia/Sorento/Guelph/Ontario/5_25798540_ON20070730101826524/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=5_15_42 , which new stickered for $40k, http://www.autos.ca/kia/buyers-guide-2012-kia-sorento/3/ ,so 50% of it's value. 

That's a 10% difference without looking too hard and I'm sure on a Toyota, or Honda the differences would be higher and if we started to look at 6yr old vehicles the prices would drop EVEN more on the Kia, while the Jeep would hold stronger.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2015, 02:31:43 pm »
the Jeep Overland starts at $59k, so if it's worth $30k, that's about the same 50% value as the Sorento (and the Sorento had more kms on it), which was only $38,500...as a bonus, the Sorento is still under warranty.

not sure how your example was suppose to prove your point, because it does just the opposite.