Author Topic: Test Drive: 2011 Honda CR-Z  (Read 12801 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2011 Honda CR-Z
« on: January 04, 2011, 03:04:11 am »

Though not very quick in a straight line, even in 'Sport' mode, the CR-Z hybrid sports car offers great handling, great fuel economy and lots of standard equipment for the price, reports Paul Williams.

Read More...

kicker

Re: Test Drive: 2011 Honda CR-Z
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 04:26:32 am »
I've been patiently waiting for Mazda to make the Kabura so I was delighted when Honda announced it was making the CRZ . Unfortunately it's not quite there yet to meet my needs .
I'm glad it won Japan's car of the year award .
You could have substituted Toyota for this : Honda has been criticized for introducing a succession of conservative products that are less engaging than the earlier vehicles like the S2000, Prelude, Integra and NSX. - for MR2, Celica and Supra .

canuck901

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 08:48:09 am »
the CRZ is a nice lil car, but overpriced in a segment already with a lot of competition.

After driving both, i would take the Honda Fit sport over the CRZ anyday...
Not only is the 2011 fit $4000 cheaper, it has more room a, its a 4 seater....it's fuel mileage and performance are extremely close to the CRZ.

Gary

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 09:12:13 am »
OK.  The question everyone wants answered, but was not, is how long it takes in SPORT mode to get to 100 kms/hr.  That will determine if I and many others would even consider testing it out ourselves.  Do you have the answer?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 09:19:14 am »
9.8s

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 09:21:51 am »
In terms of handling, the reason it failed those tests is that those tests focus solely on grip, but they use low-rolling resistance tires on the CR-Z, so ultimate grip is severely compromised.  Give it good rubber it will stick like glue, where as a 4runner is limited by it's weight not its tires.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 09:25:31 am »
it will interesting to see this vehicle in a back-to-back test against the new upcoming Hyundai Veloster that debuts at the auto show in Detroit next week.

Offline Snowdog

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 09:27:24 am »
In terms of handling, the reason it failed those tests is that those tests focus solely on grip, but they use low-rolling resistance tires on the CR-Z, so ultimate grip is severely compromised.  Give it good rubber it will stick like glue, where as a 4runner is limited by it's weight not its tires.

The perfect example of why a Sporty-Hybrid is an oxymoron. Sporty and Hybrid are essentially mutually exclusive. The low rolling resistance tires compromise and semblance of sporty handling.

Still I doubt tires alone would fix CR-Zs handling problems, several of the magazine test reviews, report at limits handling is twitchy and unpredictable.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 10:02:25 am »
Twitchy to some is fun as hell to others.  I loved the thing on the track I had it sliding all over the place.  So maybe ultimately it wasn't fast but it was fun.  And if you aren't going to the track, honestly it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow!

hemusbull

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 10:47:31 am »
The only positive think is the fact Honda made one more big engineering experiment with CR-Z. They begun with first gen Insight loosing priceless time and now they are far behind Prius, continuing in different direction - again wrong one, I think. Honda lost both hybrid and CR-X concepts. Both types of vehicles (I mean all Honda hybrids incl. Accord/Civic/Second gen Insight plus CR-Z) are discontinued or existing on life support. What a shame for a company with otherwise great engineering and devoted customers! Pity...

Offline Snowdog

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 11:06:04 am »

Do they have such bad rubber. I checked the OE Tires at Tire Rack and they are listed as Dunlop SP Sport 7000 A/S tires. Classed as High Performance All Season tires for sporty sedans.  Not track tires, but a cut above the average car tire and miles better than the 4-Runner tires.

honestly it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow!

That statement is usually applied to cars that actually have excellent handling and still spirited acceleration(just not Corvette levels), the CRZ has neither. 

I often see that statement applied appropriately to the Miata.

If the Miata is slow, the CR-Z is a pedestrian turtle.

We are talking about slow for economy car 10 second acceleration and SUV class handling.  It is really pathetic.

Your heroic attempts to defend it is still fun despite is dismal acceleration and handling numbers because you slid it around a track are becoming more and more hollow.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 11:34:14 am by Snowdog »

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 12:10:25 pm »
I guess you drove the CR-Z right, so you know it's not fun to drive?  Maybe by the numbers it sucks, but by the seat of the pants it does not.

FYI, the '90s miata posted 0-100km/h times in the 9.7second range...

dragonflyjack

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 12:25:45 pm »
 All this...and it's still ugly, as only a Honda can be....My brother just bought one, and he loves it...Ehhh...
                            dragonfly

Aquifere

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 12:27:41 pm »
Hi Wing,

Thanks for the info on that car.  I'm very tempted by this package.  I drove a Crossfire years ago and each time I stepped in the car I felt like I was dropping 3 floors down.  Is it the same feeling with the CRZ?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 12:28:57 pm »
Yeah the CR-Z is pretty low.

Offline Snowdog

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 01:11:24 pm »
I guess you drove the CR-Z right, so you know it's not fun to drive?  Maybe by the numbers it sucks, but by the seat of the pants it does not.

FYI, the '90s miata posted 0-100km/h times in the 9.7second range...

I know. I owned a '91 Miata. But the 20 year old Miata was competitive in its day with other sporty cars like the GTI and CRX Si that were all in the same performance ballpark.

During the intervening 20 years that benchmark has moved significantly. Today a sporty 4 cyl  like the Miata/GTI do 0-60 in under 7 seconds, while the CRZ is still performing like it was 20 years ago, well behind modern benchmarks.

Honda is getting off easy. Can you imagine the outcry if the next VW GTI did 0-60 in 9.8 seconds??

It will be interesting to see how the Hyundai Veloster compares when it is revealed next week. Expectations are 140 HP DI engine and 40 MPG. It looks like the real modern iteration of the CRX.

kicker

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 01:49:50 pm »
Reviewers keep their distance somewhat from the public . Simply more professional .
Wing does not have that option . Just because he can defend himself doesn't mean you should dig up every possible argument so he has too .
He comes to work everyday . He certainly should get paid sick time , if he doesn't , the way you guys carry on . Why are you making his job harder ? I always thought Wing was liked . It certainly doesn't look that way to me . So why don't you just chill out a bit .
HE DIDN'T EVEN WRITE THE REVIEW .

Offline cruzzer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 01:56:09 pm »
I like it and would consider buying the manual (never a CVT!). I cannot believe just three colours! What is Honda doing with so few colour choices across it's entire range of cars? Dumb!! But let's see the CR-Z with a conventional power train. This thing would be awesome with a regular engine from the Fit or the Civic and still get excellent fuel economy, have been room inside and be cheaper to build and to own. Imagine a CR-Z with 140 hp, a 6 speed manual and starting at $17,000. They'd sell a TON. Build it in Canada too!

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 01:59:46 pm »

Do they have such bad rubber. I checked the OE Tires at Tire Rack and they are listed as Dunlop SP Sport 7000 A/S tires. Classed as High Performance All Season tires for sporty sedans.  Not track tires, but a cut above the average car tire and miles better than the 4-Runner tires.

Just a note, those OE tires would not be the same as replacement SP 7000 tires, they would be tuned, sized and compounded specifically to give better mileage and low-rolling resistance to the CR-Z.  Those characteristics come at the expense of grip, hard to say how much.  
I haven't driven a CR-Z to see for myself though.  
Mr Pickypants

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 02:07:08 pm »
I like it and would consider buying the manual (never a CVT!). I cannot believe just three colours! What is Honda doing with so few colour choices across it's entire range of cars? Dumb!! But let's see the CR-Z with a conventional power train. This thing would be awesome with a regular engine from the Fit or the Civic and still get excellent fuel economy, have been room inside and be cheaper to build and to own. Imagine a CR-Z with 140 hp, a 6 speed manual and starting at $17,000. They'd sell a TON. Build it in Canada too!

It looks like your wish is about to be granted. Though it won't be called a CRZ, and the 'H' on the steering wheel is going to be a bit slanted.

Conventional powertrain - CHECK
Funky but attractive - CHECK
Excellent fuel economy without pretence and bulky hybrid system - CHECK
6-speed manual - CHECK
140hp to start (and potentially 210 turbo down the road) - CHECK
Second best selling brand in Japan (after Toyota) - CHECK EDIT: I may have to revisit this one as I only found one article claiming that (the rest still stands)
Clear target audience with no identity crisis (unlike CRZ) - CHECK
Hyundai haters pulling their pubic hair - PRICELESS

Enjoy the new Veloster.

I have both - a Honda (Fit) and a Hyundai (Entourage) and I love them both.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 02:34:16 pm by whaddaiknow »