Author Topic: Road trip to Yukon - is it wise to drive your own car?  (Read 1720 times)

Offline YURKBC

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Road trip to Yukon - is it wise to drive your own car?
« on: April 21, 2015, 12:13:36 am »
Hi,
We're thinking about going to Yukon this summer. There are 2 of us. Our cars: Civic and Fiesta. Most likely, we'll be driving north from BC southern interior. I've heard somewhere that roads are pretty rough in the north, and one can say "good buy" to the car (paint and suspension would suffer the most). I do not know personally anyone who went on such a trip, and I haven't read a story of such a trip. So, I am looking for advice and your opinions, especially if you drove there or know someone who did.
I'll appreciate a link to a good story as well. ;)

Also, would you drive your own car on such a trip?
One makes a living by what one gets; one makes a life by what one gives

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Road trip to Yukon - is it wise to drive your own car?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 12:16:27 am »
I would honestly take something a little more solid. Something 4x4 with clearance and a solid powertrain. Good luck, sounds like a wicked trip.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 12:21:11 am »
For long trip, I usually rent a car from Budget, who has unlimited national mileage, and my Visa has rental insurance build-in.

I drive my own vehicles when there is the possibility of snow storms, otherwise it is better to rent, IMO. If anything happens with the vehicle (in term of a freak accident), much easier to deal with a rental. Just report it, and get another rental, they have people take care of it. With your own vehicle, it is a hassle to have to deal with extra unplanned stuff.

Offline goodsonr

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 12:27:54 am »
I've know a few people who have driven up to Inuvik in regular cars on the Dempster Hwy.  More than paint/suspension they talk about tires, headlights and windshields as the things that get broken.  Sounds like high-clearance would be nice, but 4x4 not really necessary.

A web search on the Dempster will bring lots of info. But, I wasn't sure if that is the direction you are heading.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 12:28:17 am »
Drove our Mercedes up the Alaska Highway with ease.

A couple years ago we took the Highlander, not for the AWD or clearance, but for the room.

Today, no way I'd drive the Alaska Highway.  Not because of the highway itself, but because everything along the way is $hit now.  Hotels, restaurants, everything is crap.  We took the Stewart-Cassier highway, and enjoyed it.  Visit the cool coastal town of Stewart, etc.  Long trip, but nicer than the Alaska Highway.

If you do go, DO NOT eat in Watson Lake.  Everything there is disgusting.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
Road trip to Yukon - is it wise to drive your own car?
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 05:58:28 am »
I've know a few people who have driven up to Inuvik in regular cars on the Dempster Hwy.  More than paint/suspension they talk about tires, headlights and windshields as the things that get broken.  Sounds like high-clearance would be nice, but 4x4 not really necessary.

A web search on the Dempster will bring lots of info. But, I wasn't sure if that is the direction you are heading.

granted, this was almost 20 years ago, but we drove the dempster in a rented 4x4 camper, no way I'd drive my own car on that.  A truck maybe, but you have to assume you'll lose at least one windshield..

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-434
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 12:08:45 pm »

granted, this was almost 20 years ago, but we drove the dempster in a rented 4x4 camper, no way I'd drive my own car on that.  A truck maybe, but you have to assume you'll lose at least one windshield..

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose

So no worse than a typical Alberta winter. I am averaging a windshield every 2 years...

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 02:08:12 pm »
I would honestly take something a little more solid. Something 4x4 with clearance and a solid powertrain. Good luck, sounds like a wicked trip.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Good grief, you can go to and through most of the Yukon entirely on paved roads.  Isn't all of the Stewart-Cassiar paved now?  People do these roads on bicycles, for heaven's sake.

As one of those people, I recall seeing bumper stickers on motorhomes saying: "I drove the Alaska Highway".  Like it's a big accomplishment.  Unfortunately the Dempster Highway bumper stickers wouldn't fit on my bicycle.

Having bicycled many of them on a 10-speed style bicycle, with only one flat tire total on the trips, I have a few cautions for motorists. 

When on gravel, slow down when meeting another vehicle.  This is a courtesy that reduces dust. 

Then there's damage from flying stones.  From cycling these roads I know that rocks get thrown up. Mostly they are just up in the air, rather than hurtling toward you.  The faster you're going, the harder you'll hit them.  When cycling up there, I'd put my head down to keep from getting rocks in the face from motorists speeding in the opposite direction.

Certainly make sure your spare is in good shape, but you should do so anyway.

Get a copy of the Milepost, but know that despite the many businesses listed along the way, there are more that are not in the Milepost (presumably because they didn't buy ads in the Milepost).

Beware that wet dirt roads can be extremely slippery.  This is partly because they put some sort of salt brine on them to keep the dust down.

Again on gravel roads, be careful on corners when meeting traffic and passing cyclists. Loose gravel gets pushed to the outside of the corner.  If you get into this stuff at speed, you can lose control. And forcing cyclists over into it, or passing them while they're in it trying to stay out of your way, is a high risk situation.

Have fun, it's a great place to see.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline YURKBC

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 01:28:01 am »
Thank you for all the suggestions and recommendations! I will make sure to post an update if we decide to drive there.