Author Topic: Used Vehicle Review: Dodge Journey, 2009-2012  (Read 13251 times)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: Used Vehicle Review: Dodge Journey, 2009-2012
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2012, 06:00:48 pm »
I almost bought one of these this summer.  It was one of the redesigned Journeys in the CREW trim.  They gave us one to test drive for 24 hours, so we got a chance to 'live' with it.  In the redesigned form, it's actually a remarkable vehicle.  You got a LOT of kit for not a lot of money, and the Pentastar V6 that was in it was a gem.  Get that thing past 4K rpm and it turned into a rocket ship.  I think the price on ours would have been 24K, and it included a smart key, sunroof, third row, heated seats, rear seat controls, 8" touch screen, 8 speaker sound system with subwoofer, six CD changer, Sirius, power driver/passenger seat, seriously, this thing had ALL the bells and whistles.

I wouldn't buy a pre-redesign Journey though.  Probably not worth it.

I too was considering the Journey, but I didn't want a V6, I believe it's a little overkill for grocery getter.  Was not impressed with the 4 cylinder engine, not slow, just not very smooth.  I wanted a vehicle that could seat 4 comfortably, have the option for 2, got pretty good gas mileage, and had a small foot print, and under $20k.  So a 2012 Journey SE Plus, was like $22,500 plus freight, and tax.  I looked at a Kia Rondo, and Mazda5, settled on a 2010 Mazda5 GT (before the ugly redesign) for $17500 with 36,000km and a Mazda extended warranty to 160,000km.   It handles quite good, even through stop and go traffic, worst gas mileage I have seen is 9.5L, best one 7.2L, and it is almost 400lbs lighter than the Journey.

The Journey isn't a small vehicle by any stretch of the imagination.  Anything less than a V6 and it would be underpowered.  The Mazda5 is quite a bit smaller.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2012, 11:00:47 pm »
I almost bought one of these this summer.  It was one of the redesigned Journeys in the CREW trim.  They gave us one to test drive for 24 hours, so we got a chance to 'live' with it.  In the redesigned form, it's actually a remarkable vehicle.  You got a LOT of kit for not a lot of money, and the Pentastar V6 that was in it was a gem.  Get that thing past 4K rpm and it turned into a rocket ship.  I think the price on ours would have been 24K, and it included a smart key, sunroof, third row, heated seats, rear seat controls, 8" touch screen, 8 speaker sound system with subwoofer, six CD changer, Sirius, power driver/passenger seat, seriously, this thing had ALL the bells and whistles.

I wouldn't buy a pre-redesign Journey though.  Probably not worth it.

I too was considering the Journey, but I didn't want a V6, I believe it's a little overkill for grocery getter.  Was not impressed with the 4 cylinder engine, not slow, just not very smooth.  I wanted a vehicle that could seat 4 comfortably, have the option for 2, got pretty good gas mileage, and had a small foot print, and under $20k.  So a 2012 Journey SE Plus, was like $22,500 plus freight, and tax.  I looked at a Kia Rondo, and Mazda5, settled on a 2010 Mazda5 GT (before the ugly redesign) for $17500 with 36,000km and a Mazda extended warranty to 160,000km.   It handles quite good, even through stop and go traffic, worst gas mileage I have seen is 9.5L, best one 7.2L, and it is almost 400lbs lighter than the Journey.

The Journey isn't a small vehicle by any stretch of the imagination.  Anything less than a V6 and it would be underpowered.  The Mazda5 is quite a bit smaller.

Your right the Mazda5 is quite a bit smaller, it's 11 inches shorter in length, however most of the extra space in the Journey is used in the 3rd row and trunk.  The Mazda5 has 3 inches more legroom than the Journey in the 2nd row.  Which was fine by me, because I mostly need it for 4.

Offline chamadarla

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +31/-67
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Pontiac
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2012, 05:50:05 am »
I bought the 2001 Journey and have been quite happy with it. Have found it to be very comfortable and well appointed. The only thing I don't like is the light steering.

A 2001!! Well I'll be dam.

Offline easyrider

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +11/-96
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 11 journey, 11 mazda 3
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2012, 09:15:10 am »
I bought the 2001 Journey and have been quite happy with it. Have found it to be very comfortable and well appointed. The only thing I don't like is the light steering.

Yeah but the 2001 is so rare
LOL, my bad.2011, gotta start wearing my glasses.

Offline kirm

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2012, 07:18:00 pm »
I've never been a Dodge fan until I was given one of these (Company car).

I've had it for about a month short of a year and it's got 24,000 kms on it already and I haven't had one bit of trouble from it. Well, in the interest of full disclosure, there was a slight shudder from the trans when taking off in first when it was cold. A short trip to the dealership and an application of new drive-train firmware and WHAMMO, no more problems.

It's also got a ton of thoughtful touches like a rechargeable flashlight in the cargo area, cold drink storage behind the rear seats, a year of satellite radio for free, great engine and traction control and lots more.

I thought the worst when they gave me this vehicle but it has pleasantly surprised me and taken away my dislike for Chrysler products.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2012, 08:04:27 pm »
I briefly took a look at the Journey, was not impressed with the lack of room in the rear or the driving position which was more suitable for eating at a dinner table, not driving.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
Used Vehicle Review: Dodge Journey, 2009-2012
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2012, 11:19:38 pm »
I've never been a Dodge fan until I was given one of these (Company car).

I've had it for about a month short of a year and it's got 24,000 kms on it already and I haven't had one bit of trouble from it. Well, in the interest of full disclosure, there was a slight shudder from the trans when taking off in first when it was cold. A short trip to the dealership and an application of new drive-train firmware and WHAMMO, no more problems.

It's also got a ton of thoughtful touches like a rechargeable flashlight in the cargo area, cold drink storage behind the rear seats, a year of satellite radio for free, great engine and traction control and lots more.

I thought the worst when they gave me this vehicle but it has pleasantly surprised me and taken away my dislike for Chrysler products.

Thanks for being brave enough to share that. Amazing what an open mind will do!
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons