Author Topic: Volvo Flywheel KERS Makes Cars Efficient and Sporty  (Read 5602 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Volvo Flywheel KERS Makes Cars Efficient and Sporty
« on: April 29, 2013, 08:20:24 am »

Flywheel system delivers 20% fuel economy improvement and much shorter 0-100 kph sprint times.

Read More...

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 08:53:56 am »
Excellent!
Reminds me of those old toy cars as a kid you would wind up by pushing them backwards across the floor then let them go.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Volvo Flywheel KERS Makes Cars Efficient and Sporty
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 09:05:26 am »
Excellent!
Reminds me of those old toy cars as a kid you would wind up by pushing them backwards across the floor then let them go.
Railton

Yup!  Simple technology, but it could really work well and be cost effective compared to hybrids.

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 09:09:10 am »
And there is a significant weight savings here (I think) over hauling all those batteries around. When Williams F1 was using this technology during races, I was really hoping it would win out over the battery based solutions of other teams.

The only thing that sucks about this kind of technology is the risk of it seriously coming apart due to lack of maintenance. I would hate to buy a used car with one of these units.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 09:24:18 am »
Nice & simple, but I take it you would have to drive and stop a few times just to get things spinning.

The bigger question stands, when will we see this in the real world.

We've seen many similar technologies flounder or been shelved.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 09:28:12 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 09:42:30 am »
   Without going into the full technical aspects...I can't see what if anything this unit would add for highway driving. So in that instance just more weight to cart around because of no brakeing to drive it. The nature of a fly wheel requires it to be heavy to store rotating energy. I suppose lighter going at much higher RPM works also but yeah ..much higher RPM. So reduced efficiency for highway driving because of more weight ...more complexity...presumably space consuming.
    I don't know, I am amazed that this is a part of racing technology but I suppose that racers will try anything to get a bit more oomph out of a corner but not something that ordinary transport needs I would have thought. I wonder what is saved overall when considering the polution and energy involved in making the extra parts.

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 10:26:58 am »
Also, Porsche used this on a racing car. Just imagine this flywheel spinning beside you where there should be a passenger seat.

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 12:18:40 pm »
Also, Porsche used this on a racing car. Just imagine this flywheel spinning beside you where there should be a passenger seat.

The Porsche system still used a motor/generator to spin the flywheel-motor/generator with electricity and to use it again.  The new Volvo system is mechanical so no need for additional batteries, motors, etc.  It does require a gearbox of some sort though.
Neat.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 12:36:59 pm »
   Without going into the full technical aspects...I can't see what if anything this unit would add for highway driving. So in that instance just more weight to cart around because of no brakeing to drive it. The nature of a fly wheel requires it to be heavy to store rotating energy. I suppose lighter going at much higher RPM works also but yeah ..much higher RPM. So reduced efficiency for highway driving because of more weight ...more complexity...presumably space consuming.

Trickle-down technology - 15 years ago in YOW I worked with honeywell to develop a system to control a flywheel energy system for thr space station. This was used to replace the originally designed battery system. Three of the benifits of such a flyheel system were the replacement of the much heavier batteries which would also need to be replaced  after a set time (read send another team up in space to replace them all - just add $$$) as well as using the flywheels as gyroscopes to keep the space station in the right position.
Interestingly, the flywheel was developed by FESI, a Canadian Co in YOW and the flywheels spun on frictionless magentic bearings also developed by another Canadian co. and the controller itself also developed by a Canadian co.
The system integrator of course (Honeywell) was US. ::)
Railton

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 12:56:13 pm »
Wasn't aware of this technology.  Interesting stuff.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 01:01:54 pm »
No, not much highway benefit, but so what?  If we can see gains in urban driving, that's a great thing.

Another case of racing improving things for all drivers. Very cool.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 01:17:23 pm »
When all is considered I wonder if the net gain is negative on the global warming front.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 01:53:58 pm »
"Tests in a Volvo car will get under way in the second half of 2011."  ???
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 02:31:18 pm »
As for the value of such systems for highway driving, bear in mind that energy can also be recaptured during steeper descents, or if the speed is changed by much. Basically anywhere you'd brake or engine brake.  So the range of situations where it saves fuel is more than urban driving.

It looks like this system operates only when the brakes are applied.  Now, European drivers take great pride in using their manual transmissions to engine brake and avoid showing their brake lights to drivers behind them whenever possible.  This is used as an indicator of a skilled driver.  This system will require them to use the brake pedal, and so appear to be less competent. 
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 04:43:17 pm »
Cheaper to wear out brakes than wear out the transmission. My experience is that the brakes wear out even if you don't use them much. So use them whilst you can perhaps. You put it in 'D' and go when you get there you put it in 'P' and park. Took a long time to design and develop those features.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 06:49:59 pm »
I agree.  It's much easier to finely control brakes than compression braking.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2013, 06:52:16 pm »

They used KERS in F1 like 5 years ago too...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 11:52:44 pm »

I believe most of the teams have continued to use KERS, but I thought most or all of them were electric rather than flywheels.  Maybe flywheels would interfere with an F1 car's handling.

The extra weight isn't a huge problem on F1 cars.  They have a mandated minimum weight, and are lighter than that.  They have ballast.  So the weight of a KERS system of whatever kind just replaces some ballast.

Wikipedia has a good overview of this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_energy_recovery_system

Maybe environmental awareness will mean dragsters will some day be powered with these sorts of systems.  (Stand by for village i***t post)

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 07:27:35 am »

Williams F1 had a flywheel-type KERS setup a few years back. But, it is all battery based now, mandated by regulations.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 11:47:28 pm »
How is it that Volvo a company that doesn't even race in any highly publicized series (F1, Nascar, IndyCar, Grand-Am, Aussie SuperCars, Japan Sports Cars, WRC, etc.) beat mega companies (like McLaren, Ferrari, Mercedes, BMW, Toyota, Honda, etc.) to the punch with this technology?!
My other Honda is an MP4-31!