Author Topic: Subaru Legacy owners - Opinions wanted - The Good and The BAD  (Read 4512 times)

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
Subaru Legacy owners - Opinions wanted - The Good and The BAD
« on: August 26, 2016, 11:12:10 am »
Anyone who has lived with the latest (2015 and newer) Legacy. What would you change about the car? Any nagging negatives in day-to-day driving?

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
Re: Subaru Legacy owners - Opinions wanted - The Good and The BAD
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 12:39:02 pm »
Anyone who has lived with the latest (2015 and newer) Legacy. What would you change about the car? Any nagging negatives in day-to-day driving?

The infotainment system in our Outback (with Nav) sucks.  Slow, non-intuitive, no Airplay, etc.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 01:59:43 pm »

The infotainment system in our Outback (with Nav) sucks.  Slow, non-intuitive, no Airplay, etc.

That's the vibe I am getting too. Though for me, the infotainment system isn't very high on my priority list.

I am seriously considering replacing the Merc with the new Legacy. Took it out for a test drive yesterday. The drive was quite nice.
I did notice the car's rear hopped quite a bit on an on-ramp when hitting a small bump. That was disconcerting. It's not something I experienced before in any of my past vehicles.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 11:44:32 am »

That's the vibe I am getting too. Though for me, the infotainment system isn't very high on my priority list.

I am seriously considering replacing the Merc with the new Legacy. Took it out for a test drive yesterday. The drive was quite nice.
I did notice the car's rear hopped quite a bit on an on-ramp when hitting a small bump. That was disconcerting. It's not something I experienced before in any of my past vehicles.

Are you having issues with the E350? I thought you got it not so long ago?

Offline simonsez

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 11:53:42 pm »

I have 2014 manual Outback so not exactly what you're eyeing but close enough that you may value my opinion.

Dislikes:

- painfully slow with the 2.5l 4 pot, just ok in town but not fun on the highway
- speakers suck
- it drinks a lot of oil, my low-oil warning light will come on in between every change.
- very plasticky interior

- the symmetrical AWD; it really is all that and a bag of chips, simply fantastic in the snow when equipped with proper tires.

Hope this helps a bit.

Offline erich

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-125
    • View Profile
  • Cars: current: 2023 Genesis G70 2.0t,2019 Infiniti QX50, previous:2017 Subaru Legacy, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2012 Genesis Coupe 2.0T, 2010 Subaru Forrester, 2004 Honda Civic, 2000 SAAB 9-3, 2000 Dodge Caravan, 2000 VW Golf, 1996 Suzuki Baleno, 1990 Subary Justy 1.0GL
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 01:15:39 pm »
How slow would be a Legacy with CVT compared to my '10 Forester (4AT)? The engines have similar output and weight is close too.
I am considering going to a mid-size sedan for highway cruising and to sit closer to the road.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 01:44:28 pm »
How slow would be a Legacy with CVT compared to my '10 Forester (4AT)? The engines have similar output and weight is close too.
I am considering going to a mid-size sedan for highway cruising and to sit closer to the road.

I would tend to think the two would be similar but the Legacy being a tad faster to 60 than a 6 year old Forester.  If you're okay with the performance of your Forester with the automatic I would assume you'll find the Legacy acceptable.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 02:18:27 pm »

It's been two years. Fairly trouble free. But the signs of ageing are there and the cost of ownership doesn't inspire optimism. So, I signed a deal on a new Forester today.  ;D

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 09:17:27 pm »

It's been two years. Fairly trouble free. But the signs of ageing are there and the cost of ownership doesn't inspire optimism. So, I signed a deal on a new Forester today.  ;D

The 2017? Congrats!
Yeah, for FGC's I think it's CPO for two to three years and trade-in.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 09:21:41 am »

The 2017? Congrats!

Thanks!
Yes, 2017 Touring with Tech package with Eyesight (no turbo, staying in the "economy" corner for now). The sound deadening is an epic improvement compared to the 2016. Perfect commuter and general runabout car for my family. Picking it up on Friday.

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 01:08:10 pm »

The 2017? Congrats!

Thanks!
Yes, 2017 Touring with Tech package with Eyesight (no turbo, staying in the "economy" corner for now). The sound deadening is an epic improvement compared to the 2016. Perfect commuter and general runabout car for my family. Picking it up on Friday.

Congratulations!  Will be interesting to hear your thoughts on the '17 as you get some kms on it.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline woolfreyp

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Acura TL SH-AWD Tech
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 10:33:34 am »
Love: space, ride, fuel economy, awd, reliable (42k and nothing), value in touring model, looks

Hate: trunk doesn't pop open -have to haul it open and no handle so hands get dirty, touring speakers are garbage, SLOW acceleration. sensitive to crosswinds on highway. 2015 has NUMB steering - apparently revised for 2016 and later

some interior plastics scratch easy

I would probably be very happy with a 2016 3.6R with the harmon kardon speakers and revised steering