Author Topic: XC60  (Read 16824 times)

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
XC60
« on: October 24, 2016, 04:02:56 pm »
I took advantage of the Fredericton Volvo dealer being in town with a pop up store and took a  XC60 T5 SE for a test drive. Having read some relatively lukewarm reviews, I was actually pleasantly surprised. Fit and finish were good, decent power and the ride/handling seemed OK. On the inside the seats were very comfortable and the level of equipment seemed good. The SE lists around 58K but with year end incentives these were down to around 52K. I seem to recall a couple of people on here having these (or was it the V60 wagon?)  In any event opinions would be appreciated.

I'm starting to think seriously about what will replace the ML (will happen within the next 6 months)  I think I'm more looking in the luxury compact SUV class to replace the ML in terms of what size I need and what I  want to spend.  I would like to keep the budget under 60K so the obvious contenders are the GLC, X3, Q5 etc
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
Re: XC60
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 04:42:18 pm »
(or was it the V60 wagon?)
:wave:

You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 04:45:32 pm »

Ah, so other than being shorter, how is it?  ;D

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 04:47:54 pm »
Paging Fobroader to the courtesy phone.  Fobroader, courtesy phone please...
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 04:50:59 pm »
I really like my moms 2013. Its fast, quiet, comfortable, got tons of passing power and the audio system kicks ass. Downsides, not a huge favor of the seats, make sure you take it out on a long drive, my wife really hated the back seats, she said they were reclined at a weird position.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 05:01:26 pm »

Its good, but I have the version with the 3.0 I6 and a Polestar flash, so its really damn fast and the engine is smooth as silk. It does everything pretty well and is definitely greater than the sum of its parts. I like it. No regrets other than maybe not getting an XC60 instead.

Its not going to be quite as "excellent" as a Mercedes ML though, your reliability issues notwithstanding. I find it drives quite well, and exudes some Merc-ness (I had a CLK550 and we still have the GLK so I get it), but it doesn't quite have that quality that makes you content to drive at the speed limit because you drive a :censor: Mercedes-Benz and those other plebes don't. Decently close though.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 05:02:41 pm »
Slightly OT, but I saw my first XC90 in the flesh for the very first time last week.  Wow, what a gorgeous looking SUV.......two words that typically don't go in the same sentence. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 05:18:20 pm »

Its good, but I have the version with the 3.0 I6 and a Polestar flash, so its really damn fast and the engine is smooth as silk. It does everything pretty well and is definitely greater than the sum of its parts. I like it. No regrets other than maybe not getting an XC60 instead.

Its not going to be quite as "excellent" as a Mercedes ML though, your reliability issues notwithstanding. I find it drives quite well, and exudes some Merc-ness (I had a CLK550 and we still have the GLK so I get it), but it doesn't quite have that quality that makes you content to drive at the speed limit because you drive a :censor: Mercedes-Benz and those other plebes don't. Decently close though.

Why XC60 instead? Are you finding it hard to get in and out? :stick: (But I am actually curious why you'd rather the XC60)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-453
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 06:01:54 pm »
What would make me hesitate buying a XC60 is the fact it'll be replaced in the next year or two, with something significantly better.

Following your previous posts and your time frame I wonder if the new VW SUV would suit your needs.  I think it's supposed to arrive in the first quarter of 2017.  It'll be cheaper than higher end FGCs but offer similar quality of a near luxury like a Volvo.  You won't have to drive the hour to get it serviced (which you would for any Volvo, Audi, or BMW)' not to mention it'll be cheaper to service.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 06:08:01 pm »
What would make me hesitate buying a XC60 is the fact it'll be replaced in the next year or two, with something significantly better.

Following your previous posts and your time frame I wonder if the new VW SUV would suit your needs.  I think it's supposed to arrive in the first quarter of 2017.  It'll be cheaper than higher end FGCs but offer similar quality of a near luxury like a Volvo.  You won't have to drive the hour to get it serviced (which you would for any Volvo, Audi, or BMW)' not to mention it'll be cheaper to service.

I'm not sure how much has changed, but SJ Volkswagen has always been known for really poor quality service.  When I had my VW, the sales staff was excellent, but the service dept was absolutely horrendous.  Again, not sure if it's any better now. 

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 06:13:19 pm »

Are you talking about the new stretched Tiguan thats coming in 2017 as a 2018?  I read somewhere it's only going to be in the 180-200 hp area. Seems kind of weak sauce to my mind. Hopefully that will prove to be wrong.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 06:26:42 pm »

I'm not sure how much has changed, but SJ Volkswagen has always been known for really poor quality service.  When I had my VW, the sales staff was excellent, but the service dept was absolutely horrendous.  Again, not sure if it's any better now.

Yeah, I was seriously considering a Touareg (still like them) last time but the local dealerships service reputation did give me pause.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 06:38:59 pm »

Why XC60 instead? Are you finding it hard to get in and out? :stick: (But I am actually curious why you'd rather the XC60)

Would be easier to plop the kiddo in the back seat, more cargo space, and more relaxing to sit up high in GTA 401 traffic.

Volvo is for life.

It might approach last-gen Volvo stuff for quality, but the new gen stuff will blow VW out of the water. The XC90 is gorgeous.

Sailor you should get an XC90 instead :P

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1138
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2016, 06:39:41 pm »
I seem to recall a couple of people on here having these (or was it the V60 wagon?)  In any event opinions would be appreciated.

Hello.. My wife is driving a 2012 XC60 I6 T6 and I'm driving the 2015 V60 T6, both AWD. Approaching 80K km on the XC60 and the car have been very reliable except a couple of glitches with the BLISS blind spot system and also a oil fitting came loose on the Turbo which caused an oil drip. Otherwise the XC60 has been very reliable and a great car for long distance driving as the seats are certainly among the best in the business. After that mileage it still completely rattle free and really rides like brand new. It came with 18'' wheels and 9'' of ground clearance so you can go in remote areas without hurting anything and it goes quite well in deep snow. Any specific questions, feel free to ask.

My V60 is pretty much the same as mmret, I6 T6, without the flash however but with 300 hp and 325 Ft-Lbs of torque at 1900 RPM, it's fast enough to put one in trouble...27,000 km on the clock (got it last December) and nothing to report as far as the reliability is concerned. With 18'' wheels with 245/45 tires, it obviously handles way better than the XC but then, off-road riding is not an option with that one. It's also lighter and does not punch quite an as big hole in the air as the XC, so even though both have the same powertrain, the V60 is quite a bit faster. I do the Quebec-Montreal drone once a week or so with it and for me it is the perfect car for that ride. Seats are even better in the V60 as I have the sports seats, more sculpted and with a lot more bolstering. Directional HID lights on both are superbs and the V60 has the heated steering wheel; a must have option in all my future cars from now on.

Other options are the XC90 (gorgeous; especially the interior) and the V90XC, just coming out. If you don't need 7 seats and a high seating position, that may be the one to get.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 06:47:50 pm by Guy »

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2016, 06:50:05 pm »

Would be easier to plop the kiddo in the back seat, more cargo space, and more relaxing to sit up high in GTA 401 traffic.

Volvo is for life.

It might approach last-gen Volvo stuff for quality, but the new gen stuff will blow VW out of the water. The XC90 is gorgeous.

Sailor you should get an XC90 instead :P

They had a lovely XC90 there today but it seemed really big (or at least long). The interior was gorgeous but i think the price was close 80K. :-\
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 06:54:08 pm by sailor723 »

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1138
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2016, 06:52:15 pm »

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2016, 09:00:57 pm »

Volvo is for life.

Sailor you should get an XC90 instead [emoji14]

They had a lovely XC90 there today but it seemed really big (or at least long). The interior was gorgeous but i think the price was close 80K. :-\
Sailor. Get a grip. You are monied and we know it. 60k, 80k, what's the difference really. It's just money and you can't take it with you.

I would not buy a new XC60 these days without a monster discount. The new XC90 is the bees knees.

Plus you would incur my envy. I hope to have both an ML and an XC90 in the stable at some point. That's worth something in and of itself no?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Offline goodsonr

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2016, 11:41:49 pm »
Also checking in on the V60 front (2015.5) .. but the older 5-cylinder AWD.  2 years -- only 17,000km with no problems.  Fast enough for me.  As mentioned elsewhere, the only thing I might wish for differently is about another 1 inch of clearance.  Other than that - I'm happy with it.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2016, 11:47:12 pm »

Are you talking about the new stretched Tiguan thats coming in 2017 as a 2018?  I read somewhere it's only going to be in the 180-200 hp area. Seems kind of weak sauce to my mind. Hopefully that will prove to be wrong.

Based on pics it will look quite bland

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2016, 12:12:04 am »
^^ I think the new Tiguan isn't due for nearly a year. But there's also a new Passat-based SUV that is supposed to be introduced next week, and on sale early 2017.

Still kind of bland, but supposed to have the 3.6L V6 from the Passat.