Author Topic: Electric Vehicle News Thread  (Read 727780 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Electric Vehicle News Thread
« Reply #260 on: May 16, 2016, 05:45:34 pm »
I stopped  at DC Fast Charger same model as pictured post above but both recharge spaces were ICED (blocked by an ICE)

People like @airbalancer laugh at the situation, it's similar to those who smoke in front of child care centers, or park in handicapped spots, or other strange anti-social behaviours.

I've never been ICE'd for a charging spot, not even close, although I did have a word with a restaurant owner in NY where two monster trucks were parked in supercharging spots.  Given that he negotiated with Tesla to put the chargers in those spots close to his establishment to attract visitors, it was in his best interests to keep those visitors happy, which he gladly did.
only a moron would compared parking in a charging spot as the same as HC spot  ::)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #261 on: May 16, 2016, 05:59:50 pm »
I stopped  at DC Fast Charger same model as pictured post above but both recharge spaces were ICED (blocked by an ICE)

People like @airbalancer laugh at the situation, it's similar to those who smoke in front of child care centers, or park in handicapped spots, or other strange anti-social behaviours.

I've never been ICE'd for a charging spot, not even close, although I did have a word with a restaurant owner in NY where two monster trucks were parked in supercharging spots.  Given that he negotiated with Tesla to put the chargers in those spots close to his establishment to attract visitors, it was in his best interests to keep those visitors happy, which he gladly did.
only a moron would compared parking in a charging spot as the same as HC spot  ::)
Two different things of course, but I'd compare ICE parking in EV spots to parking at gas station pumps, locking the car and leaving. It should take just as long for a tow truck to show up. While I agree that EV spots don't have to have VIP placements, occupying them by ICE car is not just an inconvenience, it could have serious repercussions to EV owners, for example, if they have medical conditions, have children in the car and so on. Just imagine running out of charge in winter, at -20. So really, EV spots ought to be equal to HC ones in terms of enforcement IMO.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 06:04:10 pm by EV Dan »
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 16, 2016, 06:02:42 pm »
http://insideevs.com/hyundai-began-sales-of-tucson-fuel-cell-in-northern-california-over-100-delivered-in-u-s/

Hyundai has sold leased 100 hydrogen cars in the US California. Congrats  :P

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #263 on: May 16, 2016, 07:27:43 pm »

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +121/-437
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #264 on: May 16, 2016, 07:36:29 pm »
$5 an hour labour. .. you're going to get a quality product from that ;)

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #265 on: May 16, 2016, 07:56:56 pm »
Maybe he should just move manufacturing to Mexico like all the rest, then everybody will be ok with those wages and conditions.  :)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #266 on: May 16, 2016, 08:01:35 pm »
PESOS FOR TESTOS.................
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 16, 2016, 09:17:43 pm »
Are the charging spots in Ontario or Quebec tow-away zones? Standard parking ticket?

Can't answer for Ontario but in Quebec, as far as I know, there is no such thing yet. The political has been informed of the problematic, we are awaiting them to move on...

Same DCFC, another day
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 09:19:55 pm by me_2 »
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 29, 2016, 08:37:58 pm »
VW is considering building an 11Bn dollar "gigafactory"

VW is in trouble. Its multi-year deception to hoodwink US environmental laws is costing it billions of dollars, in addition to inestimable public good will. Worse, the scandal has threatened the company’s future. Until last year the maker of the world’s best-selling cars, VW has had to pivot away from its long-term strategic bet on diesel-fueled vehicles, which are at issue in the deception, and to electrics.

Now, in what would seek to eclipse Tesla’s pathmaking electric strategy, VW appears to be poised for a gigantic down-payment on that new future with a possible $11 billion battery factory.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk has tethered the future of his company to the construction of a $5 billion “Gigafactory,” an expansive plant in Nevada that in one swoop would double global lithium-ion battery-making capacity. Musk says that the factory’s economies of scale will lower the price of his batteries—the most expensive component of an electric car—by about 30%.

VW’s own plans are sketchy—a story broken by Handelsblatt, the respected Dusseldorf-based business newspaper, said the idea is to get past Dieselgate, as many call it, and become an industry leader in electric industry technology. As another piece of this strategy, the company on May 24 announced a $300 million investment in Gett, the Israeli ride-sharing company. The VW board is likely to approve the battery factory when it next meets June 22, the newspaper said. Quartz has reached out to VW for comment, and will update accordingly.

But judging just by the expense involved—more than twice Tesla’s spending—the VW battery plans are typically of global ambitions. The plant would be built in Salzgitter, where the company currently makes internal combustion engines. There were no details on whether VW would rely on its own battery chemistry or design, but only that it wants to avoid reliance on existing battery giants such as Panasonic (which makes Tesla’s batteries), LG (supplier to GM, among others) or Samsung.

If VW does intend to go its own way, it will be a big gamble, pitting it against incumbents that have worked out the bugs of immensely complex battery manufacturing through years of trial and error. Similarly, it is unlikely to find any commercial-scale lithium-ion chemistry that isn’t produced by one of the Asian giants it wants to avoid.

Still, VW has said that it intends to be selling 1 million pure electric vehicles a year by 2025. Musk has said that he intends to reach that volume by 2020, although most analysts expect that scale—if it is achieved—would come considerably later, and perhaps the same year as VW.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #269 on: May 30, 2016, 09:27:14 am »
I am in the midst of producing 100 Million Safionic vehicles.....after rubbing some Musk aftershave on my temples of doom...I am invincible...don't hear me ROAR :banana: :foil:

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: May 30, 2016, 06:10:57 pm »
I am in the midst of producing 100 Million Safionic vehicles.....after rubbing some Musk aftershave on my temples of doom...I am invincible...don't hear me ROAR :banana: :foil:

Some say they run on locusts and wild honey, their navs follow bright stars of foreign deserts and A/C's are yet to be turned on, for the manuals are in Sfinglish.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 11:09:32 pm by EV Dan »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Electric Vehicle News Thread- Musk's neglected case of "hubris"
« Reply #271 on: June 01, 2016, 09:53:21 pm »
Elon Musk announces plan to revolutionize factories

Having already upset the traditional automobile industry with his electric cars and the space exploration business with his reusable Space X rockets, Tesla Motors Chief Executive Elon Musk will now set about trying to revolutionize the American factory.

In a freewheeling talk before shareholders Tuesday, Musk said he and his Tesla team will completely rethink the factory process, hoping to bring “factors of 10 or even 100 times” in improvements in efficiency to the manner in which “you build the machines that build the machine.”

Musk, returning repeatedly to the idea of “physics-first principles,” said he no longer uses an office at Tesla, but spends all of his time on the production line.

That exercise has shown him methods by which production capacity could be increased exponentially, he said, by applying those principles.

“The most important point I want to make is … that we’ve realized that the true difficulty and where the greatest potential lies is in building the factory,” Musk said.

Charging the world's best automotive factories with using outmoded and inefficient systems, Musk said, “We can make dramatic improvements to the machine that makes the machine. A lot of people will not believe us about this, but I am absolutely convinced this can be accomplished.”

Speaking to shareholders at the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, Calif., Musk spent more than two hours reviewing the history of the Bay Area-based electric car company -- reminding his support group of investors and engineers about how many times Tesla could have gone under and how many ways the company has surprised critics.

The co-founder and CEO used the word “hubris” repeatedly and took complete responsibility for cost overruns and delayed delivery of Tesla’s “falcon-wing” SUV, the Model X.

Calling the Model X program “challenging,” Musk said, “I particularly need to fault myself for … putting too much technology all at once into a product. We have these great ideas. The smart move would have been to table those for version 2 or version 3.”

He promised Model X owners that the doors, which have experienced difficulties, will now work correctly.

“If you order a Model X now, or soon, trust me, you will love the doors," he said. "Because the software will actually be right.”

The year so far has been one of big promises for Tesla. This spring the company unveiled its long-awaited Model 3, the planned long-range, $35,000 electric car for the masses.

In May Tesla announced a July 29 “grand opening" for its huge “gigafactory” lithium ion battery plant in northern Nevada.

To shareholders, Musk repeated his promise that the company can grow from a projected 80,000 to 100,000 vehicles a year for 2016 to nearly five times that by 2018 – and perhaps as many as a million cars a year by 2020.

Pointing to the company's history, he insisted that such growth was nothing compared with the production ramp-up Tesla underwent going from 1,500 units a year in 2010 on its first vehicle, the Roadster, to 110,000 units a year, five years later, of its much more complex Model S.

Although Musk did not make the point specifically, his statements about modernizing the American factory are meant in part to address concerns about whether Tesla’s Fremont, Calif., automobile plant can be capable of maintaining production of the Model S and Model X while beginning production of the less expensive Model 3 -- in a manner that can make it possible at the proposed price.

Tesla began taking deposits for Model 3 the day it was unveiled, saying it expected as many as 100,000 customers would step up. In fact, the company received orders for more than 350,000 cars, which it must now build.

Musk closed the three-hour meeting by taking questions from shareholders, defending Tesla’s tax incentives, government loans and labor practices, periodically handing off certain questions to senior Tesla staffers.

He may have also disappointed Model 3 buyers by telling them that they would not have access, at the base price, to the “free long-distance charging” system currently available to all owners of the Model S and Model X.

Those chargers enable all Tesla owners to replenish their batteries at charging stations spread across the U.S., and in some other countries.

Model 3 owners won’t get that service without paying for it.

“It will still be very cheap, and far cheaper than buying gasoline,” Musk said. “But it will not be free long-distance charging for life unless you purchase that package.”

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-tesla-shareholders-20160531-snap-story.html       via   www.gas2.org

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 01, 2016, 10:02:05 pm »
^^Great.  So he admits they were and are currently selling a $150k+ vehicle with software that doesn't work for gimmicky doors.   ::)

For being such a smart guy, he sure has done some stupid :censor:.

And as far as revolutionizing assembly lines.....wake me up when he's cranking out 400K+ vehicles a year and that plant is Platinum rated.  When he can do that and eclipse the quality of Lexus and it's long term reliability...then and only then has he revolutionized auto production.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 10:08:32 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 01, 2016, 10:14:40 pm »
I always felt they spent waaay too much time and resources on door handles and then doors in their cars. If Model X was necessary at all, it should have been nothing more than a raised Model S. Not wasting time on falcon doors would give Tesla Co a head start and a competitive advantage with the upcoming 3. Now Chevy and likely Nissan will be first to market with a 200 mile volksEV.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 01, 2016, 10:26:12 pm »
I always felt they spent waaay too much time and resources on door handles and then doors in their cars. If Model X was necessary at all, it should have been nothing more than a raised Model S. Not wasting time on falcon doors would give Tesla Co a head start and a competitive advantage with the upcoming 3. Now Chevy and likely Nissan will be first to market with a 200 mile volksEV.

See?  This is exactly what I mean.  You're no car engineer and you "get" what and how the Model X should have been.  But Musk?  Zoom....right over his head!

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #275 on: June 02, 2016, 08:57:12 pm »
I agree, people buy Teslas because they are long range-high performance EV's; not because of gull wing doors.

Meanwhile..

http://www.techinsider.io/hyundai-wants-a-tesla-model-3-fighter-by-2020-2016-5

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/05/23/hyundai-planning-250-mile-electric-vehicle-by-2020/

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 02, 2016, 09:10:09 pm »
I agree, people buy Teslas because they are long range-high performance EV's; not because of gull wing doors.

Meanwhile..

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/05/23/hyundai-planning-250-mile-electric-vehicle-by-2020/

Yea, I read that today.  Especially interesting since the CEO was talking crap about hybrids and EVs a couple of years ago.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 02, 2016, 11:15:19 pm »

Meanwhile..

Yea, I read that today.  Especially interesting since the CEO was talking crap about hybrids and EVs a couple of years ago.

Yep. 2 years ago Hyundai was high on hydrogen and VW on diesel. Smart businesses can learn from their mistakes.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 07, 2016, 03:04:56 pm »

Meanwhile..

Yep. 2 years ago Hyundai was high on hydrogen and VW on diesel. Smart businesses can learn from their mistakes.

huh?  you need to do more reading on the subject. hyundai has just come out with a revised fuel cell vehicle.  korea, china, japan are all pushing forward with huge investments in hydrogen refuelling stations.  there's no mistake here.  every manufacturer will produce both products until one of them shows it's the better solution.  as far as the asians go, they see bevs as a short term transitional technology unless there is a dramatic improvement in battery technology, which right now there isn't.

The fuel cell stack can be improved over time, but hydrogen as energy source is questionable in many ways. The cars can't be safely parked underground, they can't be easily re-charged at home, most H2 will come from natural gas, hence the big oil interest and lobbying; the infrastructure is ridiculously expensive to build, just to name a few. And they are not as energy efficient as the pure BEVs. I'm following the EV news fairly closely, and there's been nothing exciting about hydrogen. While battery tech is improving and many established auto makers have figured by now what people are interested in.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/mercedes-benz-preview-new-electric-suv

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #279 on: June 07, 2016, 03:17:12 pm »
Hydrogen as a transport fuel has far more problems to solve than hybrids or even BEVs.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken