Author Topic: More weekend fun with the R3, and a Question  (Read 11900 times)

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
More weekend fun with the R3, and a Question
« on: April 18, 2016, 10:50:56 pm »
This past weekend, I did my first day trip on the R3, headed out to the far west of the région. Some new roads, some discovering, and more nice scenery. Plus, more riding experience is always a bonus for a new rider. Altogether, round-trip was 320km; I left the house at 11:30 and returned after dinner at 20:30.

Bridal Veil Falls- one used to be permitted to drive under it......

First part of the day headed was wasn't bad. Mostly nice pavement, although a little crowded. Didn't want to seem too socially irresponsible so it was really soaking up the scenery.

Heading north to the expressway, things emptied out and the hope was for more fun.

"The fun vidéo" : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExttItW-Mpc

Here comes the part where I ask you more seasoned riders: how do you know you're at the limit ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZlqp-mgdWw

Often I go out thinking "Heck yeah ! I'm gonna shred up those turns today !" and in reality a multitude of factors inhibits my confidence when I actually get there. Limited visibility (you can tell from the vidéo), elevation changes, no run-off room, traffic levels, and the general "don't wreck your new bike 120km from home" mentality. When I got on the fun part of Highway 28, the bumpy pavement eroded confidence too, as honestly, I don't know what to expect.

The competitive side of me kicks myself for not riding harder. The maturity level at my age tells me that I've been on a motorbike 8 days and unlike a car, recovery when things go wrong is near impossible, so an incident-free ride is a good ride. I mean, geez, does it just take time? In most instances, I don't have a seasoned buddy rider to pace myself with, at least no one I know yet.  ???

(NC 28 was 15 straight minutes of non-stop, 3rd gear turns. Now that was an endurance exercise, both mental and physical !)

ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Re: More weekend fun with the R3, and a Question
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 10:57:21 pm »

Here comes the part where I ask you more seasoned riders: how do you know you're at the limit ?

First, you should never try and find the "limit" on the street.  That's when accidents happen because you're at the limit and have nothing in reserve in case of emergency.  There simply is no need for this type of riding to have fun.  Instead ride at a lower pace and  focus on perfect technique.  The downshifting/rev matching, moving your weight around, smooth braking, making sure you hit the apex right, etc...There are all kinds of things you can do to enjoy yourself.  Remember...a road is not your private race track...and on a race track finding the limit takes many laps.  So that's why so much can happen trying to find a "limit" on the street...especially on roads you don't travel a multitude of times.

Read these:  http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/pace

and Part 2.0  http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/09/16/become-a-better-street-rider-with-the-pace-motorcycle-safety-and-riding-skills
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 11:12:02 pm »

First, you should never try and find the "limit" on the street.  That's when accidents happen because you're at the limit and have nothing in reserve in case of emergency.  There simply is no need for this type of riding to have fun.  Instead ride at a lower pace and  focus on perfect technique.
Yeah, that's what I'm honestly doing now. There's always a substantial amount of of buffer, with angles and line choices that allow for some wiggle room. The videos allow me to analyse things in retrospect, although certain incidents (a couple missed rev matching downshifts, and one serious "line of vision" miss not uploaded, but recorded) I immediately mentally review. In general, I still have technique work to do even before the speeds go up. The goal at the end of the day is to have a good ride that allows me to gain experience. Plus, it is well-documented: the tires on this bike were chosen for longevity, not grip.

Don't want to create the impression that I'm constantly pushing physics. The whole point of starting this late on a bike (late 20s) was to have the right level of judgment to keep responsibility on top.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 11:15:25 pm »

Don't want to create the impression that I'm constantly pushing physics.

Then banish the word "limit" from your mind....

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 11:34:12 pm »
This is true......good articles by the way.

I guess I should be satisfied that I haven't overcooked any corners (aka the "oh sh*t I entered too fast), have had quite a good time, and rediscovered the joy of going places (the 3er puts me to sleep  :sleep:).

It is really nice to be able to go places and stop and see things. Somehow it's a lot more fun on the bike. When I'm driving through the mountains in a car, I usually skip right by the vistas and tourist points.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 11:35:55 pm by mlin32 »

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 11:50:29 pm »
This is true......good articles by the way.

I guess I should be satisfied that I haven't overcooked any corners (aka the "oh sh*t I entered too fast), have had quite a good time, and rediscovered the joy of going places (the 3er puts me to sleep  :sleep:).

It is really nice to be able to go places and stop and see things. Somehow it's a lot more fun on the bike. When I'm driving through the mountains in a car, I usually skip right by the vistas and tourist points.

It's more than "see" things IMO.  You can feel the weather changes as you approach and go by a lake or body of water.  You can smell the different ways the various trees, fields, grasses smell as you pass them.

And yes...your focus (for now) should be just getting home safely at the end of the day.  There's no rush...just enjoy riding your bike.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 10:20:48 am »

First, you should never try and find the "limit" on the street.  That's when accidents happen because you're at the limit and have nothing in reserve in case of emergency.  There simply is no need for this type of riding to have fun.  Instead ride at a lower pace and  focus on perfect technique.  The downshifting/rev matching, moving your weight around, smooth braking, making sure you hit the apex right, etc...There are all kinds of things you can do to enjoy yourself.  Remember...a road is not your private race track...and on a race track finding the limit takes many laps.  So that's why so much can happen trying to find a "limit" on the street...especially on roads you don't travel a multitude of times.

and Part 2.0  http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/09/16/become-a-better-street-rider-with-the-pace-motorcycle-safety-and-riding-skills

^Exactly this. Some magazines tend to push the idea of really fast riding on the street. Don't listen to them. You're much better off and safer developing skills and finding limits at a track day.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 11:18:21 am »
As I mentioned before, it's nice to take some corners fast but you need to be able to see the entire corner from start to finish. There's too many unknowns on public roads -- road hazards, wildlife, pedestrians, other vehicles, etc. that it makes going knee down around a blind corner just not worth the risk.

At first, I assumed you meant limit as in how many kms you can ride without getting fatigued. I know personally if I ever needed to ride long distances, 1,000km in a day would be a stretch on an easy highway. And even then, I'd need a break every hour or two, so it makes it a long day. 600-800 km would be ideal in that situation. On a twisty road, that ideal distance drops to 300km.

I remember on my trip up Westside Road, I was pretty tired after 60km of constant left right left right. I didn't think I'd have the strength, mentally or physically, to get home. People make mental mistakes when they're fatigued and those mistakes can be devastating on two wheels. But I took a half an hour pit stop at Starbucks with a latte, took a walk around the park, stopped at a viewpoint, then went home on a nice open highway. It was just so much easier and I was extremely relaxed by the time I got home. I think that's one reason why people on bikes tend to stop more, it's just nice to take a good mental and physical break and enjoy the scenery.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 12:02:01 am »
Descended the mountain range today, found some roads in the valleys. Easier to get in the groove when sightlines are better and elevation changes are minor versus where I live in the mountains. The wide sweepers done at full speed (100km/h) are quite nice.

Alas, it was time to ride back up. I had chosen this specific segment/route for this weekend's trip- first time on the road but found it more fun, less intimidating with good pavement and improved sightlines versus last weekend.

A rough, quick edit. I promise no more than ca. 3min each clip.

https://youtu.be/uw2moUTkkGA

Definitely continue to work on skills. I have the rev-matching downshifts and braking points much better now, less thought required, so I can focus on corner entry and angle. Visual consistently is better, but not 100% there yet. But the fun factor is higher, just continuing to iron out the wrinkles.

On the non-performance front, I find myself taking routes and going thru places I normally wouldn't ever bother with the auto. The autoroute isn't particularly pleasing for extended periods, so with the bike it is "cool.....I've lived here over 3 years and never bothered to see this place."

Learning experience this week: Pick gravel U-turn spots carefully. I was on a route with no clear place to U-turn going away from my desired direction, so I picked a gravel turn out for a U-turn......but it was one with large gravel sunk below pavement level (!"§$ you idiot). With a sport bike.....wasn't sure I was going to get out !

After the fun road, went home on the Blue Ridge Parkway (this is getting boring). But figured getting up to Mt Mitchell with the bike would be a fun photo op.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 08:53:23 pm by mlin32 »

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 05:19:07 pm »

I fully agree. Very sound advice Ron.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 11:18:29 pm »
Given that Sunday was forecasted to be a washout, I did a ride Saturday. To focus a bit more on technique, I rode the same curvy route as last week (although total trip was différent) so I wouldn't need to relearn the corners.

@rrocket: I did some reading on the books you recommended- talk about information overload. Focused on refining the cornering and recognising some common errors today, while picking up the pace 1 notch. I have some good habits from other disciplines already but there's work that needs to be done for the nutcase behind the bars. But the road was very uncrowded today, conditions excellent.

Took a break on another secteur of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Sudden fog prevalent in some locations; again, just adds to riding expérience.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 07:19:52 am »
Glad to see you are getting full value from your purchase and I can sense your pride and excitement as you improve....helps to be riding in a Fab neighbourhood at a fine time of year; wait till the blossoms burst..ya will prolly ride off a cliff in NIRVANA.. :rofl: :rofl2: :popo: ...PAY ATTENTION....stop and smell the FLOWERS.
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 11:01:09 am »

I fully agree. Very sound advice Ron.

Agreed x2

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2016, 11:11:36 pm »
Tackled the Dragon today (Monday 30.05 was a US holiday), and also the Cherohala Skyway. Originally set out to do the latter, but said "if I'm riding out here, why wouldn't I just do the Dragon as well ?!"

The two roads are very different in character. The Dragon works well for a light, agile bike as you're constantly hustling left/right with only mild elevation changes. I was a bit shocked at how the "inner motorsport" in me just took over and dealt with the Dragon, even at tempo molto rapido. Rev-matched 4-3-2 shifts, proper vision, no surprises or close calls. It just......happened naturally.  :hello:

Needless to say, plenty of egos, testosterone, fast bikes and cars there. Pretty sure I had the smallest bike in the lot, but I let the riding do the talking. ;)

The Cheorhala (NC 143) is more relaxed, much more scenic, and much more suited to a supersport. The corners are wide, fast sweepers with shoulders and decent visibilité but the road climbs at an average of 8,5 - 9 %. At the top rest area, I could hear a couple sport bikes from a distance of 3-4km singing up the mountain, and my eyes clocked them at 130 going past on the straight. Gradients not withstanding, it was huge fun in the R3 (esp. descending) just leaning over and holding onto the corners at 100, 105.

Fancy shoes for fancy riding. I'm not sure I deserved this much fun in a day. Or that much hooliganism. But given the motorcycle and driving tendencies in that specific area, exceeding the boundaries of legality is expected. No contrôles noted even on the holiday.

A 490km trip today. R3 was a great partner, thrilled at how much fun it's been and the occasional abuse I throw at it. And counting my lucky stars I live pretty close (90min from home to those roads).

Lien ici: https://youtu.be/S6WcPmGy-Yg. Not bad, considering I've been on a motorcycle less than 2 months in my life.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 12:27:19 am by mlin32 »

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +125/-132
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2016, 01:57:24 am »
Looks like a lot of fun!
Don't fight it.  The sooner you get it the better.
― rrocket

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2016, 10:22:58 pm »
Since I've already uploaded it online, I'll throw today's ride up: https://youtu.be/dtrWyY3-ozo

I got the suction cup mount in the mail a couple days ago and have been toying with it today. The perspective above works surprisingly well, but it's a precarious mount position, as the top surface of the fairing slopes away so the adhering surface area isn't big. What you don't see in the edit is when it all completely falls by the wayside when I try to shut the camera off (everything's fine, just more scrapes on the camera). So I mounted it on the side on the flat fairing surface, which is a good angle......if you're dragging knees or riding like #93, neither which I do.

But I remember always what you all say, keeping that margin of sécurité. Since today's ride wasn't the Dragon, wasn't pushing it very much and this is a quasi-familiar road to me now, being my 3rd time.

Also got very rained on today. Thought I'd be able to return before the storms hit, or not. But tucked behind the windscreen and letting aerodynamics do its best at 120km/h, I actually was surprisingly dry aside from damp hands and the mesh part of forearms inspite of the downpour.

Fun times, good memories. Alas, will be in Vancouver/Seattle next 2 weekends, so no fun rides  :-[
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 10:28:23 pm by mlin32 »

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2016, 04:01:24 am »

or riding like #93, neither which I do.

FFS...#46 is all that matters. Especially when you're riding a Yamaha, newb.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2016, 12:58:10 pm »

:rofl2:

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2016, 01:23:22 pm »

Not brand loyal  ;D. Dealer did try mighty hard to push me into a CBR 300 R though.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: More weekend fun with the R3
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2016, 09:21:06 pm »
So what gives me a chuckle is that around some of the more well-known motorcycle roads here, there's folks that camp on a corner and snap photos for the riders/drivers to purchase afterwards  O0

http://photos.blindkenny.com/p658562062/h7c930702#h7c930702

Now to just dial some more lean angle in.....