Author Topic: Comparison Test: 2016 Acura ILX A-Spec vs 2015 Buick Verano  (Read 15708 times)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: Comparison Test: 2016 Acura ILX A-Spec vs 2015 Buick Verano
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2015, 10:05:26 am »
Yeah Verano sales are totally driven by car quality. I'm sure the fact that GM pumps 1000s of bare bones base model Veranos with e base 2.5 engine into rental fleet has nothing to do with the sales lead.

(Look I have already stated I like the Verano better based on this test but the "it has higher sales numbers so it must be better argument is just silly)

Spot on.  The facile sales number argument will never die on this forum.  I blame Sir-O and his ever-ready GM stat machine for this.  ;)
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2015, 10:21:09 am »
I also agree regardless of what make or model is being talked about. Until fleet sales are taken out of the equation, which is almost impossible to do accurately, even in the US with all their stats, sales numbers don't matter for comparison purposes. Most of fleet sales have nothing to do with the perceived desirability of the car.

In this case however, there have been zero sales of the Verano model as described by tlc. There is no Verano model sold that I am aware of which comes with a 2.5 L engine.  :o  OK ok, I know it was a "typo"....

In case anyone is interested, here is a list of GM engines and what vehicles they are in, not quite up to date. Its interesting because of the detail - power and torque at what revs, where made etc. I wish this was available from all manufacturers.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/index.php?page=Engine_Guide

Offline NormT

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-335
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '18 Regal TourX, '04 Saab 9-5 Arc JZW stg 4, '02 C32 AMG, '07 Saturn Sky,
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2015, 05:26:18 pm »
Or just Google "ILX vs Verano" for comparisons and reviews. The results are unanimous every time. Well, maybe 1 out 20 the Acura wins.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2015, 06:20:44 pm »
Yeah Verano sales are totally driven by car quality. I'm sure the fact that GM pumps 1000s of bare bones base model Veranos with e base 2.5 engine into rental fleet has nothing to do with the sales lead.

(Look I have already stated I like the Verano better based on this test but the "it has higher sales numbers so it must be better argument is just silly)

Spot on.  The facile sales number argument will never die on this forum.  I blame Sir-O and his ever-ready GM stat machine for this.  ;)

I have never said that sales were an indicator of quality. Ever.  Lots of pretty crappy cars have lead or been close to the top in sales over the years.

I post numbers when people speculate about sales and/or how different models compare.

I also post numbers for all manufacturers.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline jrasero23

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L V6, 2011 Lincoln MKZ Base AWD, 2016 Acura RDX Base AWD, 2016 ILX Premium
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2016, 05:05:00 pm »
I could be totally biased since I currently own a 2016 ILX but for me the Acura defiantly is better.

For one at least in the United States no one under 40+ years of age drives a Buick.  I will admit the Regal and Cascada are good looking cars but the Verano is not one of them.  The bulbous waterfall grill with the tacky hood vents and plain front end equal a car more likely to please former Buick owners than entry level premium buyers.  The car could defiantly benefit from more sculpting like the Regal.  The sides and back are even more plain but what really turns me off is the chrome strips on the taillights that look like eye lashes.  Although you can get a turbo on the Verano it doesn't look sporty one bit.

The Verano Premium Turbo has an enticing base price of $28,670 in the states, but once you include the $890 driver confidence package (blind spot detection, rear traffic alert, lane departure, and forward collision) $495 navigation system, and $900 moon roof the car comes to $32,275 with destination.  In comparison a 2016 ILX Tech Plus runs at $33,930 w/ destination.  That's $1655 more for an Acura but that money is well spent since you get all the features found in the Verano plus a dual screen setup, Acura's navigation that has real time traffic alerts with rerouting, ELS 10 speakers versus Bose 9, Pandora and AHA capability, solar sensing climate control, and the biggest plus better residual value.

Performance wise both have a 0-60 in the 6.2 second range but the handling and shifts are much better in the ILX.  Where the Verano shines is in the lack of cabin noise and space.  In comparison the ILX is loud and the lack of extra room and extra 60/40 split hurt.  Where Acura strikes back is the fuel efficiency where the ILX gets 25/36 and the Verano Turbo gets 21/30. 

If we were comparing the 2013 ILX versus the Verano Turbo, the outcome might be different and would favor the Buick BUT I still think the Buick brand and styling is much more polarizing than Acura's and the residual value factor is a HUGE thing.  Actually I just looked while posting and the Verano will be discontinued go forward at least in the States.  check mate for the ILX?

Offline NormT

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-335
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '18 Regal TourX, '04 Saab 9-5 Arc JZW stg 4, '02 C32 AMG, '07 Saturn Sky,
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2016, 07:35:20 am »
Real world my '13 Verano would see 37 mpg with cruise set at 70 for a 6 hourbhike a crossed Pennsylvania i-80 where elevation reached the highest point on the highway at +2,200 feet.

The Verano won almost every comparison done in the couple of years of production versus the ILX, regardless of engine. Honda/Acura had nothing to compete with the Verano.  The sales were proof from selling twice as many Veranos to almost triple at the end.

In the end the markets spoke, along with planning, and the CUV will take compact car's place.