Author Topic: Countdown to Nissan's second generation electric car. The 200 mile LEAF is here.  (Read 226891 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Re: Countdown to Nissan's SECOND electric car. The 200 mile LEAF is near.
« Reply #520 on: June 20, 2016, 10:21:55 pm »
^^^^Love the concept.  Too bad it will be vanilla when it reaches production.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #521 on: June 20, 2016, 10:28:21 pm »

I predict it will not be too far off the IDS concept. If they could have the current Murano come to production in the crazy shape that it did, there is no reason they won't do the same on the EV front.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: June 20, 2016, 10:30:00 pm »

I predict it will not be too far off the IDS concept. If they could have the current Murano come to production in the crazy shape that it did, there is no reason they won't do the same on the EV front.

It will have the grille (new corporate face).  That's about it.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Countdown to Nissan's second electric car. The 200 mile LEAF is near.
« Reply #523 on: June 20, 2016, 10:55:42 pm »

If the trend repeats with IDS, the Leaf will be all right.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #524 on: June 21, 2016, 10:45:17 pm »
Could be my next EV, the Bolt seems a bit small and I did not put a deposit on a Tesla 3...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: June 21, 2016, 10:56:14 pm »
Definitely a car to consider, if only they matched the Bolt's power and acceleration.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: June 21, 2016, 11:00:19 pm »
Could be my next EV, the Bolt seems a bit small and I did not put a deposit on a Tesla 3...

Didn't feel like being a sucker, eh?   :rofl:

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 11:39:22 am by EV Dan »

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: June 24, 2016, 02:30:04 am »
I did not put a deposit on a Tesla 3.[/b]..

Tell you what.   Let's meet up when I get my Model 3 AWD Performance and we'll see if a 911 can hang with it... 8) ;D

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
While it is confirmed the 2018 redesigned Leaf will get a 60 Kw-h battery good for 350 km, there are strong rumors the 2017 will have a 40 Kw-h battery good for 235 km. (Up from 30 kw-h and 176 km for the 2016)

The front end of the 2017 Leaf would be redesigned too, with the look of the current Murano.

I read that on the Internet so it must be true!😉

« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 06:50:55 pm by Guy »

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
I read that on the Internet so it must be true!😉

You shouldn't believe it or even better, you shouldn't read them at all  :rofl2:
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Ghosn did say that the battery size will increase gradually. 40kWh model will gather dust if Bolt is on sale at the same time, unless they can make it 10 grand cheaper.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
I think the rumour is, if true, about a 40kWh battery going into the current gen1 Leaf. It technically may be possible with further improved cell chemistry (queue in Saffy here)  ;)

https://cleantechnica.com/2016/07/16/140-miles-nissan-leaf-40-kwh-coming-year-rumor/
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 11:57:45 am by EV Dan »

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #533 on: July 28, 2016, 03:46:08 pm »
I did not put a deposit on a Tesla 3.[/b]..

Tell you what.   Let's meet up when I get my Model 3 AWD Performance and we'll see if a 911 can hang with it... 8) ;D

Really?  What is the Tesla's lap time around the Nürburgring?   

Or, do you only care about the first 3 seconds of a race?
Mr Pickypants

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
For where I drive, and the roads here in Ontario, a Model 3 with ludicrous will pretty much dominate.  But yeah, if you're going to Germany, the only way to drive on the Green Hell is in a Porsche, which was on my bucket list, until I converted to all electric cars.  Now, I don't see the point in gas cars, and that's from an "A" type car guy that went through three sets of tires on a Z28 in 1.5 years...  EV's have made going back to gas cars a non-starter.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
A 200 year LEAF drought is nearer........................... :run:   why doesn`t Wynne offer rebates to season ticket holders ???
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

December 18, 2016 2:15 am JST
Nissan eyes mass-producing $17,000 electric car

Big savings seen by sharing platform with Renault, Mitsubishi Motors

TOKYO -- Nissan Motor will share a common electric vehicle platform with its partners Renault and Mitsubishi Motors, aiming to lower prices by as much as 20%, sources said.

The automakers' common electric vehicle strategy comes as Germany's Volkswagen, Japan's Toyota Motor and other automakers are refocusing their efforts on electric vehicles to combat stricter environmental regulations being introduced around the world.

By using a common platform, Nissan hopes to come out with a plug-in priced at about 2 million yen ($17,000), around 20% lower than today's starting price.

That would make an electric Nissan as cheap as the company's gasoline counterparts, something Nissan hopes will set it apart from rival auto groups.

Nissan beat other major automakers to mass-producing electric cars when it introduced the Leaf in December 2010. Renault, Nissan's French parent, followed with the Zoe in 2012. Combined, the two companies hold the largest share of the global electric car market, having sold 370,000 units so far.

But the two have developed and designed their respective electric cars separately and have not taken advantage of any synergies, such as joint purchases.

The Leaf currently starts at about 2.8 million yen, higher than similar classes of gasoline-powered cars.

Sales have recently slowed.

Under the new strategy, Renault and Mitsubishi, new to the Nissan alliance, in 2018 will no longer develop their own electric car platforms and instead exclusively use the Leaf platform.

The companies also plan to share other parts in their respective electric vehicles, including batteries, which represent about 40% of the overall weight of an electric car, motors and inverters so that the companies can lower costs by making joint purchases from common suppliers.

Big savings seen by sharing platform with Renault, Mitsubishi Motors

While they will use the same platforms, Renault, Nissan and Mitsubishi Motors will come up with their own designs and do their own branding.

Nissan came to Mitsubishi Motors' rescue earlier this year after Mitsubishi was caught overstating the fuel efficiency of some of its cars.

Meanwhile, Volkswagen, aiming to recover from the aftermath of a false emissions scandal of its own, has set a target to introduce more than 30 electric models by 2025 and raise its share in the global plug-in market to 20% to 25% in terms of units.

The automaker is developing a platform dedicated to electric vehicles and hopes to begin selling one in 2020 at the same price level of its mainstay Golf hatchback.

Toyota in December set up an electric vehicle planning department. Denso, a parts maker, and other Toyota group companies will dispatch personnel. Toyota's strategy is the same as that of the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Motors triumvirate -- lower manufacturing costs by supplying key components to other group automakers.

(Nikkei)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
i wish the car companies would build a reasonably sized full EV. like the size of a a4 allroad.   bolt is too small!, leaf is too small!!  i3 is, you guessed it, tooooooooo smallllllll!!!

I think they (mainstream EV makers) will have to come up with something bigger within 2 years in order to compete with the Model 3.
The challenge here is to keep the car's weight in check or else add several kWh to the battery capacity, which is costly. Now that the desirable 200 mile range is achieved as seen in the Bolt, next step might be adding desirable size and lightness. It'd be easier to use a midsize family sedan platform for its aerodynamic advantage over a comparable CUV.
FWIW BMW did an excellent job with their i3 in terms of using composites and aluminum.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
The article in yesterdays Toronto Star says a lot about EV usage. Written by the guy who races Targa Minis in Newfoundland Jim Kenzy (I think).
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 06:06:33 pm by Rupert »