Author Topic: Comparison Test: 2016 Acura ILX A-Spec vs 2015 Buick Verano  (Read 15707 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

Luxury light.
Read More...

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
Re: Comparison Test: 2016 Acura ILX A-Spec vs 2015 Buick Verano
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 07:46:52 am »
A correction is needed:
"Traditionalists will gravitate to the ILX’s fine manual transmission, though it is sadly only available in the lower trims."

The redesigned 2016 ILX comes with the 2.4 L and DCT transmission in all models. Acura no longer offers a manual.  In fact Acura sadly no longer offers any vehicle with 3 pedals.

With that out of the way it should be noted that the Verano in 2.0 T trim does in fact offer a manual (its a 0$ option ) although it will probalyt take Indian Jones and Sherlock Holmes combined to find one on a dealer lot and a tremendous amount of tears and begging to get them to ORDER one.

To me that's kind of sad. I hate to say it but I'd probably pick the Buck also. The Verano slightly softer quieter touch is more suited to an automatic. I'd need to test drive a Verano manual as I have not read good things about the GM 2.0 T manual in the ATS etc. The ILX to me would be a logical step up from a Civic SI to a similar but less boy racer style car but you lose one of the best things about the SI...the 6 speed manual that's one of the best in the business.

I never thought I'd say it but the Verano actually appeals to me. I like smaller cars (as long as they have enough room for my admittedly smaller sized kids) that have features a touch of sport and also have more refined highway ride.

Even with the discounts and 0% I can never see buying a new GM but given the depreciation etc I have to say that if in a year or 2 the choice was between a lightly used ILX and a Verano Turbo give the projected price difference it would  be a no brainier for me verano all the way.

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +28/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Chevy Traverse, 2013 Suzuki SV650SF
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 08:04:27 am »
I was about to mention the manual transmission issue, but toolatecrew's post made me too late (pun intended).

With that out of the way it should be noted that the Verano in 2.0 T trim does in fact offer a manual (its a 0$ option ) although it will probalyt take Indian Jones and Sherlock Holmes combined to find one on a dealer lot and a tremendous amount of tears and begging to get them to ORDER one.

One of the forum members has a Verano w/6-speed so perhaps they'll chime in on this.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 08:07:59 am »
That was to be "my" comparison shopping, with the base A3 added in, but I had to tone things down a bit.

GM's 20% rebate on "15% older inventory" intrigued me, so I started to look at dealer inventories online. My local dealer had 25 Veranos in stock, but only two sported the 20% incentive, both "value leader" base cars with no options at all (or heated seats). The next dealership had about 20 cars, one with the rebate, this time a loaded leather version, but white over beige (ie "old Buick" combo). So deals were rare, and I passed.

Oh, and after looking at over 45 units online, none had the stick, and only two had the trim I wanted, both missing the Bose stereo.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 08:15:18 am »
You guys are right, and I'm not entirely sure how this ended up saying a manual was available in lower trims - JY and I were just talking about it being not available yesterday. Edit made.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 09:45:01 am »
When I bought my turbo (its auto by the way) the ILX had just come out, and it was pretty dismal solely due to Acura's choices re; models, engines, transmissions, options or lack thereof etc. Now I see its much better, but I still would buy the Verano turbo today instead of it.

The Verano has been great for over 2 years, its standout features being the effortless acceleration "feeling" (however while its fairly quick, I'm used to having more power), the ability to deal with the horrible state of the roads around here, and of course the heated steering wheel and remote start in winter.  :) 

In my opinion, some things that need fixing in the revised version next year are (1) the 'A' pillar design, needs better visibility, my wife dislikes that but I don't notice too often. (2) styling improvements (including get rid of the rear chrome eyebrows and hood portal, although personally I don't care too much about this) and (3) better base engine, the 2.4 is s-l-o-w and should be replaced by the 2.5L that has been in the Malibu for several years, a much more modern engine with great torque for normally aspirated. I'm not holding out much hope for (1) or (3), whereas pictures of the China show car version show that (2) is fixed.     

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 10:01:24 am »
Very nice comparo - and I doubt anyone will disagree with the results, which is amazing in and of itself.

The Buick needs to fix up the interior, though.  I could live with everything else about the car, but I hated the front seats and the rear was impossible to get into - and as you say, not a nice place to be once in.

Offline MR2Pritch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +30/-45
    • View Profile
  • Cars: I-Mark, 240sx, MR2 GTS
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 10:24:50 am »
"These aren't luxury cars. Only German cars are luxury cars. The Buick Verano is made of toaster parts and the Acura ILX looks like an octopus. They aren't 70 grand either, so they're not luxury cars. You guys don't know what luxury cars are, only I do, because I like BMW."

#sarcasm

In all seriousness though, ILX for me-- that new engine and transmission are a great team and snarly as all heck.

J

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 10:53:32 am »
A correction is needed:
"Traditionalists will gravitate to the ILX’s fine manual transmission, though it is sadly only available in the lower trims."

The redesigned 2016 ILX comes with the 2.4 L and DCT transmission in all models. Acura no longer offers a manual.  In fact Acura sadly no longer offers any vehicle with 3 pedals.

To me that's kind of sad. I hate to say it but I'd probably pick the Buck also. The Verano slightly softer quieter touch is more suited to an automatic. I'd need to test drive a Verano manual as I have not read good things about the GM 2.0 T manual in the ATS etc. The ILX to me would be a logical step up from a Civic SI to a similar but less boy racer style car but you lose one of the best things about the SI...the 6 speed manual that's one of the best in the business.

I never thought I'd say it but the Verano actually appeals to me. I like smaller cars (as long as they have enough room for my admittedly smaller sized kids) that have features a touch of sport and also have more refined highway ride.

Even with the discounts and 0% I can never see buying a new GM but given the depreciation etc I have to say that if in a year or 2 the choice was between a lightly used ILX and a Verano Turbo give the projected price difference it would  be a no brainier for me verano all the way.

Funny story: This was a line I threw in because earlier this year I drove the '15 ILX with a manual. As I was mid-sentence, I went on Acura's website to verify, could not find the manual, then wrote Honda/Acura's PR rep, who confirmed that it is indeed no longer available, to which i responded with sad emojis, and Jacob and I had a good cry about not just the loss of a manual, but the loss of a good manual, but by then I had moved on and was editing later sections and of course I wouldn't go back and remove the big incorrect random comment i inserted in Jacob's story. In other words, the dog ate my homework.

I have not driven the Verano with a manual, but unless it's the transmission in the Vette, there really isn't a GM manual that i can think of that comes close to matching Honda's six-speed. Shame on Acura, and even potentially a bad business move. while we often dismiss those wanting AWD manual diesel wagons, surely there are enough people out there that still look to Acura/Honda specifically because of how good that transmission is, but perhaps they know those people are essentially capped at Civic Si money, and rarely do make the leap to Acura still wanting to row their own.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 11:33:10 am »
250 turbocharged ponies, available with a manual and it doesn't look half bad, yeah, Verano FTW. The Si sedan is the fancy Civic to have.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 12:25:37 pm »
250 turbocharged ponies, available with a manual and it doesn't look half bad, yeah, Verano FTW. The Si sedan is the fancy Civic to have.

That's what I would choose over either of these.  I can all but guaran-damn-tee you that the Civic Si would be more fun to drive than the comparatively soft and tubby Buick.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline dave_b

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +24/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14 Verano Turbo 6MT
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 12:28:53 pm »
Hey guys.

I just posted this over at TTAC, because they know me pretty well there and they know I have had troubles and were asking.

Long story short-ish...

So, I am going to start with the good, for what that's worth. The 2.0T puts a smile on my face every time the boost comes on. My lifetime is 8.6L/100 kms (27.35 us mpg). I currently have 37000 kms (23000 miles) on the clock. I seem to average 35mpg through the Canadian Rockies. The car is fantastically comfortable, dead quiet, the Buick Intellilink works well, and we love the dual zone auto CC, it works really well for a generally warm guy and generally cold lady (climatically speaking :-). The car is right-sized for our lifestyle, and we really like it on the road. Take note: If not a lemon, this car would be a really great car for us. Issues not lemon related are; the headlights aren't stellar, the car is pretty rolly polly in the curves, and it has a turning circle roughly the size of the USS Enterprise, CVN-65.

So...

Within the first week, I had the car back into the shop because the clutch hydraulics were misrouted. They were rubbing on the frame. If I wasn't so picky, I wouldn't have noticed the clunky clutch and I would have had to use roadside when the line burst. Since then, you guys know that I was never happy with the way the trans feels. It makes a "release-bearing"-esque grind on the 1-2 and 2-3 upshift. This still exists, and they've never been able to figure out why. They replaced the trans, but reused every bit of hardware around the black box. Made the shifter action worse. Multiple shop foremen on multiple test drives acknowledge hearing the noise, but I was either treated with "we could not replicate after you left", "it was a loose heat shield rattling, we replaced it you should be good!" (no change) "I think this is a new manual trans for 2014, it might be normal". This last one really pissed me off, a cursory google search is enough to indicate the F40 debuted in 2007 in the G6 behind the 3.9. Don't fabricate if you don't know!

Anyways, while that's more of an annoyance, last summer, the CEL came on. I took it in, Clutch Position Sensor code. They swapped the sensor, no problem. Around Christmas, I kept getting recurring CELs...CPS again! The dealerships response was "Well, we replaced it already...it’s probably fine." I was like, I bet you, sooner or later, the car won't start. Finally, June 19th, I was stranded on the departure ramp at the airport. Push clutch, press starter, car goes to accessory and tells me to "Push Clutch to Start Vehicle." CPS ruins my day! The worst part, couldn’t even bump start it, because the push button start wouldn't allow it to go past accessory, with the car not thinking the clutch was pushed. Got towed to my new chosen dealership, they replaced the sensor. Fine.

A week later, we drive 5 hours away to Jasper to camp. Saturday morning, we go to start the car, and....nothing. CEL!!! Luckily we have service. Call roadside, and we get towed to the nearest dealer, an hour away in Hinton (6 hours from home). Luckily, the weekend oil and lube tech they had working was a total boss. Pulled the (dozen or so) codes, found that he was getting shorts and communication faults when he wiggled the main comm harness. So, he figured there was a short. He managed to start the car, we drove straight home on one tank. My new dealer followed up, pulled up the floor, found a sharp spot in the floor plan. (Another manufacturer defect, IMO) They filed it down, replace the wires, cleared the codes and gave it back. At this point I don't know what to think. Seems like a likely root cause right?

A week later, we are in Vernon BC after touring Okanagan Wine Country, 6 hours from home. We start the car....CEL comes on! I scan it...P0806, clutch position sensor. We fill the car with a gas can, get our bags from the hotel, (still had to pay), and drove straight home...through the night. It DID start the next day, but we didn't want to take any chances. Took it to the dealership. They had it for well over a week and had to place a tech support call, GM engineer in Detroit told them to replace the harness from the clutch to the ECU.

Have had it back for a week, and now...we have a long weekend road trip planned this afternoon, 2500kms round trip!

Other mechanical maladies as of yet unfixed/undiagnosed include, a random rough idle when cold, (almost stalling), and sometimes the engine is very hesitant when accelerating. They cleaned the MAF and it was smooth as silk...for about a week.

So, about a month ago, I started a case with GM customer service in Ontario. I've been making the case that the car has demonstrated multiple factory defects, that have left me stranded, and worse, the same subsystem keeps acting up in multiple new and creative ways. Because of this, we have decided the car is not trustworthy, and the fact that "they have fixed it" (and they have, my new chosen dealer has dealt with every problem swiftly, as they have manifested). As I said, it keeps screwing up in new ways, on the system they "fixed". So I have been pushing that they need to buy the car back, because they built and sold a demonstrably faulty vehicle. So, last week, we were talking about "trading in", i.e., I would give them my car back, and I would finance a (very specifically specified) Cruze, as it would be a very economical car for the 15000 kms in road trips we have planned in the next year. And, we know from multiple Jack Baruth Rental Reviews, the Cruze is a damn solid economy car. I've enjoyed this little stretch of a premium car, but, I figured this would be an opportunity to just get something functional and plan for the future. So, they come back and tell me I can give my car back, and finance a Cruze for my lease payment....for the next 84 months!!!! They tried to lump the lease residual into the new finance! I was so gosh darn ticked off (family website, trying to keep it clean). Offended, shocked. I let the guy know, that despite the verbiage we used....this is not an "appraise this early lease break and make customer pay residual" situation. Whether I am financing a new GM vehicle or not (which now it’s not, due to my anger at the crap they tried to pull) this is not a trade, it’s a buy back. If I was going to spend 45,000!!!!!! dollars on a Cruze, I'd just keep the Verano and buy another car!

It's been a week of silence since that discussion. Calling him back this morning actually...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 12:29:18 pm »

That's what I would choose over either of these.  I can all but guaran-damn-tee you that the Civic Si would be more fun to drive than the comparatively soft and tubby Buick.

Maybe, but the Buick would be quicker, Vtec is like turbo lag without all the ensuing horsepower  ;D

Northernridge

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 12:35:45 pm »
Wouldn't you really rather have a Bu-ick?

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 12:49:05 pm »

Maybe, but the Buick would be quicker, Vtec is like turbo lag without all the ensuing horsepower  ;D

Breaking news: quicker doesn't necessarily mean more fun to drive.  :stick:  VTEC is nothing like turbo lag.  If you want the impression of turbo lag without all the ensuing rush of horsepower, the marketing acronym you are looking for is not VTEC, it is SKY-ACTIV.  :rofl2:  Weak, weak, weak... and then.... nothing.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 12:56:17 pm »
dave_b, that's horrible. You know about this? It sounds like the time is near for it.

http://www.camvap.ca/

Offline dave_b

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 12:58:32 pm »
@dougjp, thats my next step if GM Canada keeps waffling.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2015, 01:19:25 pm »
Hey guys.

I just posted this over at TTAC, because they know me pretty well there and they know I have had troubles and were asking.

Long story short-ish...

Wow, that's terrible. Good luck with that.

I wonder if there's a way to bypass that CPS instead. As a bonus, you might experience the fun of starting your car with the car in gear.

Breaking news: quicker doesn't necessarily mean more fun to drive.  :stick:  VTEC is nothing like turbo lag.  If you want the impression of turbo lag without all the ensuing rush of horsepower, the marketing acronym you are looking for is not VTEC, it is SKY-ACTIV.  :rofl2:  Weak, weak, weak... and then.... nothing.

Hey, I like my Skyactiv.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2015, 01:20:49 pm »
GM is never going to voluntarily take the car back and make the lease whole.

CAMVAP will prove utterly useless.  It's not remotely similar to a US State Lemon Law.

Other mechanical maladies as of yet unfixed/undiagnosed include, a random rough idle when cold, (almost stalling), and sometimes the engine is very hesitant when accelerating. They cleaned the MAF and it was smooth as silk...for about a week.

That's merely a subjective annoyance in the used car world.  If it doesn't happen for a GM dealer on the day of "examination" then it does not exist.

The good news is that it's only a LEASE.

Offline dave_b

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 01:25:47 pm »
GM is never going to voluntarily take the car back and make the lease whole.

The good news is that it's only a LEASE.

The issue here, is that we dont trust the car at all. The same subsystem has rendered the car inoperable in different ways. How can we ever think its fixed?