Author Topic: Good comfortable car for lots of highway driving?  (Read 17598 times)

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
Re: Good comfortable car for lots of highway driving?
« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2014, 11:02:20 pm »
Well you cant have it all...

TL is pointless without AWD though.

Any 2012+ AWD TL with Tech/Elite trim will do. Should be available pretty damn cheap.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2014, 11:24:06 pm »
Well you cant have it all...

TL is pointless without AWD though.

Any 2012+ AWD TL with Tech/Elite trim will do. Should be available pretty damn cheap.

I meant you can't have it all with great highway fuel economy.  With a V6 and AWD...

I don't agree, with the TL being pointless without AWD, that's old debate.  Especially in the COTU... But in Alberta, I agree AWD is more of a priority....

Bet you can still do better than this...

http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Acura/TL/Etobicoke/Ontario/5_22243512_ON20070924095137494/?ursrc=hl&showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=18_15_19

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2014, 11:34:42 pm »
The OP is Alberta.  These GTA links are pointless.  :)

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2014, 11:37:43 pm »
If I could get $38k for mine right now it'd be gone in an instant :P

As for highway fuel econ, I did substantially better in the CLK (V8). I guess AWD really does cost a lot in terms of economy if an old tech V8 with 90hp more (and an extra 1.5L of displacement to push around) can get a half liter better.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2014, 11:48:05 pm »

The OP can talk too.... Maybe I don't feel like googling an Alberta zip code. And it was more of a point, that it's in his price range..  :P

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2014, 11:50:17 pm »
OK Dmac, I'm going to throw you an odd ball:  ;D

2015 Camry Hybrid LE.  LE is the base model.  USB/Bluetooth/8 way power seat/cruise/smart key/push button start/climate control.  Road noise and road manners improved from 2012-2014 versions.

This unit is much faster than the standard Camry 2.5, and slightly less than the V6.  Resale after 2 years is monster.  Beltless motor.  They don't break. You can sit, make calls and it will idle on and off battery.  You should get 150k km out a set of pads.  By then you will have traded it because you'll be rolling in sales cash.  :D

« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 11:52:35 pm by ArticSteve »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2014, 11:51:54 pm »

The OP can talk too.... Maybe I don't feel like googling an Alberta zip code. And it was more of a point, that it's in his price range..  :P

Take a guess on the Postal Code.  ::)  Alberta is such a different car market than Ontario your trader pics are more than useless.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2014, 11:58:13 pm »

Take a guess on the Postal Code.  ::)  Alberta is such a different car market than Ontario your trader pics are more than useless.

What are you blabbing about again?  Here is one $2 grand less, and another $2 grand more than the GTA posting. Same trim, same year, AWD. 

http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Acura/TL/Calgary/Alberta/5_22433991_20090108102914109/?ursrc=hl&showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=3_15_7

http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Acura/TL/Calgary/Alberta/5_22044387_CT200548103042706/?ursrc=hl&showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=6_15_7

I think he would rather drive a Buick than a Camry Hybrid!

Offline dmac79

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Kia Forte, Ford Escape
« Reply #88 on: December 23, 2014, 01:00:43 am »
OP do you have cash?

The early 9th gen Accords have been around long enough now that there should be some selection I'd think.

Gas not critical....you can expense it I guess? Get a V6 ;D

I would have cash to buy something used, I could scrape together $20k to buy something outright if it makes sense.

I was under the impression that these days auto financing is just ridiculously easy to get.  They're always talking about how terms keep getting longer and with interest rates so low it's super cheap.  I mean I remember when I bought my Forte, it was $27k or so total, and they gave me 0% financing 5 years, nothing down, and man I was only making like $45k/year at the time.

And yeah fuel economy is a secondary concern - mileage covers it.  I don't care about having some super fast race car but I like being able to merge and pass quickly.  On the highways here you get stuck behind these massive trucks and have to pass them on undivided highways, and trying to do that with some 160 hp 4 cylinder can be treacherous.

Offline dmac79

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 23, 2014, 01:06:59 am »
OK Dmac, I'm going to throw you an odd ball:  ;D

2015 Camry Hybrid LE.  LE is the base model.  USB/Bluetooth/8 way power seat/cruise/smart key/push button start/climate control.  Road noise and road manners improved from 2012-2014 versions.

This unit is much faster than the standard Camry 2.5, and slightly less than the V6.  Resale after 2 years is monster.  Beltless motor.  They don't break. You can sit, make calls and it will idle on and off battery.  You should get 150k km out a set of pads.  By then you will have traded it because you'll be rolling in sales cash.  :D

Really I've never driven a hybrid or really looked at it - it has more power even at highway speeds?  Like I said above, I like having the power to pass on the highways quickly and safely.  That's really the key, I don't care so much about 0-60, but it's being able to quickly go from 100 km/h to 130-140 to get past some slowpoke on the highway and get back on your side of the road.  I think an in between in power of a normal sedan 4 cylinder and a V6 makes a lot of sense.

Have they improved the reliability of hybrids greatly in the last few years?  I might be stuck with what people said 5 years ago, but I recall stories about how the battery life on some was poor and to replace is insanely expensive.

Offline dmac79

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 23, 2014, 01:10:35 am »
A used Dodge Charger might be a good pick as well if you're OK with RWD. 2014 SE Can be had for $15k with @40k on it
Taurus might work too.

Really, isn't a new one, even the base model, like low 30's?  That's pretty horrible depreciation.

I've always been curious, some people say RWD is so horrible in snow, but I've never driven a RWD car.  Winter tires makes a big difference perhaps?  I've seen people with Chargers, Chrysler 300's etc. on snowy days trying to go when the light turns green and the car just starts sliding sideways as they give it the gas.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 23, 2014, 01:28:11 am »

Really I've never driven a hybrid or really looked at it - it has more power even at highway speeds?

Firstly, one needs to be very specific when talking Hybrids because most are slow.  There are only 2 fast ones.  The Accord whose pricing makes a no go for this discussion and the Camry unit which has the same power plant as the  Lexus ES (300h).  The passing power is where the Camry Hybrid shines.  Sounds like a jet engine when floored.  :)  Search the test drives at Autos.ca (this site).

Have they improved the reliability of hybrids greatly in the last few years?

Again, make and model specific.  Camry/Prius most bullet proof cars on the road.  Warranty is 8 years or 160km, although you won't have it by then.  Most driven cab in North American cities.  Never heard of someone changing a battery in a 2012 above Camry Hybrid regardless of mileage @ 350k km plus.

If your looking for a comfortable car, fairly quiet except when you floor it which is kind of fun, with ridiculous resale, then test drive is warranted.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 23, 2014, 01:29:46 am »
I actually think the Regal GS AWD is a pretty good car and often underappreciated. I know the stereotypes of a Buick but I would not be ashamed to drive it and I am in my mid 20s. It is a handsome car. Turbo paired with the AWD should prove to be a nice and competent highway cruiser.

I have driven RWD and AWD in inclement weather. AWD is definitely advantageous for driving in winter conditions but I have managed fine with RWD and good snow tires.  AWD doesn't steer or stop better than a FWD or RWD vehicle and sometimes leads to driver overconfidence. A lot depends on the experience and skill of the driver.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 01:31:31 am by marcus_go »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 23, 2014, 01:32:50 am »
If one is entertaining a RWD vehicle it must have a Limited Slip Differential or just forget it.  Electronic traction control isn't a substitute.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #94 on: December 23, 2014, 07:38:28 am »
You know, I'm kind of surprised that no one has suggested a Mazda for this guy.  The main selling point of them right now is their warranty.  Currently they are unlimited mileage, so you get 3 years comprehensive coverage and 5 years of power train.  You could get an extended warranty and be set for many years of driving with just worrying about wear and tear items.  Their engines have timing chains so won't have to replace them.  They are some of the most fuel efficient vehicles out there right now.  Resale value is pretty good and general reliability has been solid.  The styling is pretty solid I think, but everyones tastes are a bit different.

Only thing is they don't score really high is comfort, their seats aren't bad at all but they definitely aren't the quietest place to be out on the highway.  Plus they have gone mainly 4 cylinder for all models and if you're looking for something with great passing power these might not fit that bill.

In the end, there is no perfect vehicle.  What you have to do is test drive your face off.  Find what's important to you and go from there.

Based on what we know, something that has a V6, AWD, and is ultra comfortable is what you're looking for.  I don't think anything fits that bill better than the Hyundai Genesis Sedan.  As far as your question about maintenance, you get the luxury of higher end models, but the servicing cost of a mainstream vehicle.

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 23, 2014, 08:13:40 am »
I like Mazda's as much as the next guy but in my experience they aren't going to get into high kilometres without needing some work.   That warranty does sound impressive though.

I am kinda agreeing with Artic on the Camry Hybrid.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #96 on: December 23, 2014, 09:17:12 am »
I like Mazda's as much as the next guy but in my experience they aren't going to get into high kilometres without needing some work.   That warranty does sound impressive though.

I am kinda agreeing with Artic on the Camry Hybrid.
I find all Camry's beyond boring.  Only thing more boring is a Malibu.  I don't really see the Camry Hybrid being that great for passing but I've never driven it so can't say for sure.  As for reliability, for sure the Camry will be tops and the Hybrid technology on Toyota's seem to improve reliability and reduces owners cost (saving on fuel, saving on brakes, etc).

Spending this much time in a vehicle it's like a second office.  I view the Camry as a cubicle in a nice office building, and the Hyundai Genesis Sedan would be like a corner office in a modern building.

Plus if this guy ever has to take clients out anywhere they'll be more impressed with the Genesis Sedan. 

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 23, 2014, 09:22:59 am »
A used Dodge Charger might be a good pick as well if you're OK with RWD. 2014 SE Can be had for $15k with @40k on it
Taurus might work too.

Really, isn't a new one, even the base model, like low 30's?  That's pretty horrible depreciation.

I've always been curious, some people say RWD is so horrible in snow, but I've never driven a RWD car.  Winter tires makes a big difference perhaps?  I've seen people with Chargers, Chrysler 300's etc. on snowy days trying to go when the light turns green and the car just starts sliding sideways as they give it the gas.

If your new to RWD, I would not get one in Alberta, I've seen Chargers around here (GTA) get stuck in the winter, with winter tires).  Even some Chrysler 300 with AWD, have to go really slow, as they are quite low to the ground.   

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 23, 2014, 09:28:10 am »
You know, I'm kind of surprised that no one has suggested a Mazda for this guy.  The main selling point of them right now is their warranty.  Currently they are unlimited mileage, so you get 3 years comprehensive coverage and 5 years of power train.  You could get an extended warranty and be set for many years of driving with just worrying about wear and tear items.  Their engines have timing chains so won't have to replace them.  They are some of the most fuel efficient vehicles out there right now.  Resale value is pretty good and general reliability has been solid.  The styling is pretty solid I think, but everyones tastes are a bit different.

Only thing is they don't score really high is comfort, their seats aren't bad at all but they definitely aren't the quietest place to be out on the highway.  Plus they have gone mainly 4 cylinder for all models and if you're looking for something with great passing power these might not fit that bill.

In the end, there is no perfect vehicle.  What you have to do is test drive your face off.  Find what's important to you and go from there.

Based on what we know, something that has a V6, AWD, and is ultra comfortable is what you're looking for.  I don't think anything fits that bill better than the Hyundai Genesis Sedan.  As far as your question about maintenance, you get the luxury of higher end models, but the servicing cost of a mainstream vehicle.

I haven't suggested it as it doesn't fit his needs. 

No V6
No AWD (except the SUVs)
Not very spacious
Not very quiet

If sticking with sedans. 

For AWD:

The new Legacy with the H6, that was just reviewed
Lacrosse AWD
Acura TL

FWD

New gen Impala, 1 year old, or demo
Passat gas motor

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 26, 2014, 05:41:22 am »
Upon closer inspection, the OPs age and possible credit score (not saying it's bad/but the lenders are gonna be watching Alberta hard, I think Careener nailed it with used.
Which is why I suggested a CPO Lexus right out of the gate
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...