Author Topic: Cell Phone | Apple  (Read 5376 times)

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
Cell Phone | Apple
« on: March 03, 2015, 10:55:18 am »
I know there's already a few cell phone threads.
however I do have a couple specific questions.

I did want to hold onto my Blackberry as long as possible but it's starting to do funny things.
Being I've recent purchased a Mac - It would make sense to replace it with an i-phone.

Here's the thing...
I currently pay about $50 monthly for my cell plan.

I see the same plan with an i-phone seems to cost more... from $60 to $80
Which depends if I buy the phone or get a contract.   In the end the cost is the same. 

I have a seriously hard time spending $500+ on a cell phone.   Heck, I think it's insane to even spend a few hundred bucks!     When I got my Blackberry I gave in to the Smartphone thing.   We decided to get rid of the land line.    I got my phone on a huge boxing day sale, 3 year contract but free phone PLUS a $150 Future Shop gift card. 

Here's a question...
How long are some of you keeping your i-phones.    It's hard enough for me to wrap my head around spending money for what a new i-phone 6 cost.... but it's even more stupid (IMOHO) spending that kind of money and "needing" to replace it 3 years later.

Northernridge

Re: Cell Phone | Apple
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 11:00:22 am »
We've been using iPhones in the office since they came out (8-10 contracts at any one time). We are still on the last gen phones at the moment and have never had a hardware failure in what must be over 30 devices by now. The old ones just sit in a drawer, they don't seem to fail for us.

I have no love for them, just tools to me.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 11:00:46 am »
I buy mine off contract, keep it for two years, and then sell it. Used iPhones get decent money if they're in good shape. For example, I sold my two year old 16 GB 5 for $300 when I got my 6. And I gave someone a good deal because it was a coworker – I would have put it on Kijiji for $400 and taken $350.

Plenty of people keep them for longer though.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 11:10:29 am »
If you think an iPhone is too expensive then buy an Android phone.  Much more choice of price point.  To make the most of Android I think that:  a) You want one that is pure Android without lots of bling added.   b) you have to be prepared to live with Google.

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 11:14:36 am »
I'm with Oliver, sell every 2 years and buy new then.  First upfront cost is a lot but upgrades are incremental and you get good value for a used phone.

Or don't go nuts and get an iPhone which arguably are double the price of an equivalent Android phone.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 11:21:12 am »
instead of Android, I'd stick with a Blackberry (which can be had really cheap now).

however, I really like the idea of everything being in sync (phone + computer)
-- like my calendar

I didn't realize the i-phones sold for so much and easily used.
that actually might be the best option.  High upstart cost but should level off in the long run.

something to think about.  Meanwhile I'll have to see if I can squeeze my existing provider with a deal

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 11:23:38 am »
Also agree with Oliver.   I've got an iPhone 5S through my work so I don't think about the cost.  But my wife gets a new iPhone every year.

She's on contract with Bell.  Keeps the phone in a nice protective case and she takes generally good care of it.   Pays for the device upgrade every year on her plan (~$250) and sells the old phone (still locked to Bell) on Kijiji for about $350-$450 depending on condition.  New phone every year and a bit of cash in our pocket for the minor hassle of selling the old one.

The used market for Apple devices is crazy.  Makes sense to take advantage

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 11:32:45 am »

I did want to hold onto my Blackberry as long as possible but it's starting to do funny things.
Being I've recent purchased a Mac - It would make sense to replace it with an i-phone.

Here's the thing...

Which depends if I buy the phone or get a contract.   In the end the cost is the same. 

I have a seriously hard time spending $500+ on a cell phone.   Heck, I think it's insane to even spend a few hundred bucks!     When I got my Blackberry I gave in to the Smartphone thing.   We decided to get rid of the land line.    I got my phone on a huge boxing day sale, 3 year contract but free phone PLUS a $150 Future Shop gift card. 

Here's a question...
How long are some of you keeping your i-phones.    It's hard enough for me to wrap my head around spending money for what a new i-phone 6 cost.... but it's even more stupid (IMOHO) spending that kind of money and "needing" to replace it 3 years later.

Well that was your first mistake getting the Mac computer!  ;D    What's you paid the premium for one device, now you want everything Apple, which are much more expensive!  When the Tacoma is ready to be replaced, don't go testing Apple cars....  ;D

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 11:38:41 am »
My wife just replased had her iphone 4 for with a 6. I also got a 6 at the same time. We'll probably have these for years to come. Definatley not the cheapest option, but very slick. My work BlackBerry Z30 now feels like a brick.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 11:40:25 am »
Never found having a Mac any type of advantage with iPhone at all.  Actually find android works better with my mac and is easier to use / upgrade / backup.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 11:42:22 am »

Here's the thing...

Here's a question...

Well that was your first mistake getting the Mac computer!  ;D    What's you paid the premium for one device, now you want everything Apple, which are much more expensive!  When the Tacoma is ready to be replaced, don't go testing Apple cars....  ;D

you're too funny!!!
I'm no Apple worshiper (unlike my wife)   I got the Mac because I was absolute sick of Windows.

Never found having a Mac any type of advantage with iPhone at all.  Actually find android works better with my mac and is easier to use / upgrade / backup.

you don't find the icloud a benefit
sync of all photos / contacts / calender / etc?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 11:44:44 am »
Well when I had my iPhone it all through iTunes.  If it's all through iCloud now, what's the difference than through Google Storage?

My Android is backed up via google cloud oh and it's all free, no storage fees if I go over a certain bandwidth.  Backs up calendar, photos, contacts etc.

My Nexus blew up one day, got a new phone, turned it on, logged in with my gmail account and everything was back from my old phone.

So having a Mac  or PC doesn't really matter, never need it.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 11:45:19 am »

There's a few key advantages:

- iMessage app on the Mac lets you send and receive iMessages/texts from your computer (would pay good money for this feature alone)
- Continuity features let you start something on the phone and finish on the computer (open web pages, writing emails, etc)
- Syncing of calendar/contacts/reminders/etc

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 11:49:10 am »

- iMessage app on the Mac lets you send and receive iMessages/texts from your computer (would pay good money for this feature alone)
- Continuity features let you start something on the phone and finish on the computer (open web pages, writing emails, etc)

Isn't software from Android that can be installed on the Mac to do the same? 

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 11:50:12 am »
If you think an iPhone is too expensive then buy an Android phone.  Much more choice of price point.  To make the most of Android I think that:  a) You want one that is pure Android without lots of bling added.   b) you have to be prepared to live with Google.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2015, 11:59:38 am »

Android has those same features.   Hangouts for msg  email etc.

And bonus you don't have to use your Mac, you can use any computer.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
Cell Phone | Apple
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2015, 12:00:43 pm »
You don't need software on your Mac.   Just use your browser.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2015, 12:05:14 pm »

Android has those same features.   Hangouts for msg  email etc.

And bonus you don't have to use your Mac, you can use any computer.

But... He has a Mac already.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2015, 12:17:27 pm »
I've got three iPhone 4S models on a family plan that the contract was up on in January this year. I paid $0 dollars for each of them three years ago and they gave me a free Samsung Tablet because I took a contract with two 4S. My plan is with Rogers and they've offered to give me three new 5S 32G units for $0 on a 2 year plan. I am on the fence as the 4S still works for us and we have two ipad minis as well but, we all could use the additional memory on the phones even though we use icloud free space. I suppose I could sell all the 4S on kijiji. What's a used 4S going for these days?
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2015, 12:20:36 pm »
My plan is with Rogers and they've offered to give me three new 5S 32G units for $0 on a 2 year plan.

why contract ended in December - I still can't believe Rogers hasn't called me to offer me something.
(although maybe they did  - I don't answer 1-800 numbers)

truth be told I'm not a fan of some of the Google stuff.
Our club uses gmail and google documents..... while there's obviously a learning curve on figuring out their system, I don't like it at all.