Author Topic: Penzoil Platinum Pure Plus review!  (Read 9610 times)

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
Penzoil Platinum Pure Plus review!
« on: August 08, 2014, 09:46:01 am »
Wow.
This oil is proving to be a great alternative to the OEM 5W-40 Castrol.

here is the list of oils I've tried in my VW Rabbit in its 120k km existence :
Castrol 5W40 (OEM)
Castrol 0W30 (aka German Castrol)
Mobil1  0W40 (aka Porsche, AMG factory fill)
Penzoil Platinum 5W30

all of which are exceptionally rated good oils. (with the notable exception to the OE 5W40, which is still great, but not to the degree that Mobil1 and German Castrol are revered)

all the oil changes have been on 8k interval, with the exception to my latest 2, which have been on 10k interval.  first 10k on Castrol 0W30, 2nd 10k on Mobil1.

up until this point then, my best mileage on the Rabbit have been very high 7 / 100k.   that was absolute best it could do, in ideal conditions (warm weather, good air pressure, steady 100~110km/h speed cruise, relatively flat ground).

and more often than not, I would hit 9L/100.   I used to joke to my SO that my M3 uses just 10L/100, using 12% more fuel but has twice the power...

Until i switched to Penzoil Pure Plus 5W30.

Holy sh1t....  my last gas station visit has recorded 7.4L/100km.     then today, it smashed that record with an even 7.0!  (filled with Regular at Co-op)

I might even be able to call this "Fuel Efficient" now!!!

Those who don't know what Penzoil Pure Plus is, look here : http://deliveryfuel.com/why-you-should-pay-attention-to-pennzoil-pureplus-technology/

Gist of it is, it is a Synthetic engine oil made using GTL (Gas to Liquid) conversion.   basically, they use Natural gas (which has very short hydro carbon chain), and by magic, they chain these molecules together to form VERY UNIFORM length of longer hydro carbon molecular chain which is liquid.

This is basically the VERY OPPOSITE method of "Hydrocracking" that Castrol pioneered and used to create Group 3 "synthetic" (start with long hydrocarbon molecular chain, i.e. heavy oil, cut it down to length to desired length of hydrocarbon chain)

Only question is, how good will it be 10k from now...  but given that it is a top tier engine oil, i'm sure it will be fine.

Try it out at your next oil change! (when it's on sale at Canadian Tire) ;D
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 09:49:36 am by aquadorhj »

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
Re: Penzoil Platinum Pure Plus review!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 01:04:08 pm »
Interesting. But isn't it just a PAO type IV oil? Ie German Castrol, 'European formulation' Amsoil, etc? As far as I know all the 'true' synthetics are made from natural gas.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 04:10:40 pm »
Let me know when you're ready to try Amsoil. You'll be a convert
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 04:50:46 pm »
I might put Amsoil in my Odyssey. The oil filter is in the right wheel well. I accidentally found it when I had my wheels turned all the way to the right, so it might be a pain to perform oil changes.

Not worth it in the Mazda 3 since I have to adhere to the 8,000km/4 month intervals until the warranty runs out whether I use Pennzoil Platinum or Amsoil Signature.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 04:53:32 pm »
I have to add, Pennzoil Platinum has excellent fuel dilution resistance, way better than the other synthetic oils in the under $30 (when on sale) price range. This is an important property for those who have direct injection engines.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Penzoil Platinum Pure Plus review!
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 04:56:18 pm »
I might put Amsoil in my Odyssey. The oil filter is in the right wheel well. I accidentally found it when I had my wheels turned all the way to the right, so it might be a pain to perform oil changes.

Not worth it in the Mazda 3 since I have to adhere to the 8,000km/4 month intervals until the warranty runs out whether I use Pennzoil Platinum or Amsoil Signature.
In the case of the Mazda, use the Amsoil OE synthetic. It's designed for people who want to adhere to the OEM drain internal. Very nicely priced, too! A few people on this forum use it in their new cars

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-category/oem-oil-change/
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 04:59:54 pm by rrocket »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
Re: Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus review!
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 06:00:39 pm »
I'll do a UOA on the Pennzoil Platinum I currently have in my Skyactiv since I'm actually going to do 8,000km between oil changes this time. The people over in Bobs The Oil Guy seems to be split between PP and AO-OE. Amsoil OE is $11US more than Pennzoil Platinum. Someone on this forum can hook us up for less?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus review!
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 06:51:41 pm »
I'll do a UOA on the Pennzoil Platinum I currently have in my Skyactiv since I'm actually going to do 8,000km between oil changes this time. The people over in Bobs The Oil Guy seems to be split between PP and AO-OE. Amsoil OE is $11US more than Pennzoil Platinum. Someone on this forum can hook us up for less?
I can. PM me for details.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 09:24:35 am »
I retract my recommendation of this oil.

here's why :

I did 11k during my interval.   during that time, I lost just under a liter of oil.
i think it thinned out too much and either burned or blew by through.
and my exhaust tip is now stained black.

never happened before with any other oil.

now i'm back to Castrol.   and my old fuel economy is back but i can live with that.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 09:11:07 pm »
I retract my recommendation of this oil.

here's why :

I did 11k during my interval.   during that time, I lost just under a liter of oil.
i think it thinned out too much and either burned or blew by through.
and my exhaust tip is now stained black.

never happened before with any other oil.

now i'm back to Castrol.   and my old fuel economy is back but i can live with that.

http://www.pennzoil.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Pennzoil-Platinum-5W-30-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-SN-GF-5-en-TDS.pdf

I don't see any OEM seals of approval on there. I assume this does not explicitly meet VW 502 spec? I have always been a little wary of screwing around with "unapproved" oil on German stuff. At least with MB the Mobil 1 0W-40 was easy and cheap enough to get...and also covered BMW LL01 and VW 502/505

EDIT: Hmm. I am no oil expert but I see this Pennzoil Pure Plus stuff is ACEA A5/B5.
And couple with this
A5/B5 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use at extended drain intervals in high performance gasoline engines and car & light van diesel engines designed to be capable of using low friction low viscosity oils with a High temperature / High shear rate (HTHS) viscosity of 2.9 to 3.5 mPa.s. These oils are unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 09:14:37 pm by mmret »
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 08:36:19 am »
I don't think this oil is meant for 11k. You really need a extended life engine oil for that.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 08:49:32 am »
I think it is meant for extended drain intervals. When the ACEA say 'extended' they mean 20-25,000 kms  although they do make a distinction between fixed service intervals and ones determined by an oil life monitor.   I think this "These oils are unsuitable for use in some engines."  is the relevant bit.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 09:32:18 am »
for all the virtues they advertise that synthetic oils have, I would think the top tier one like the Penzoil would be able to withstand 11k interval.  granted, it was 1k longer than other ones i've used before, but factory castrol isn't  "extended drain" either and is rated for 16k (starting in 2009 i think)

i do think it thins out too much though, at operating temp, as i can hear valve noise when on extended drive, say an hour or more). 
it's nowhere to be heard when on Castrol or Mobil1.   i enjoyed the fuel efficiency it delivered, but i can live without it.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 11:30:22 am »
"These oils are unsuitable for use in some engines."

That would certainly pull me out of the red mist in a hurry.  You simply cannot take chances with oil unless you are monitoring it very closely and in this weather, it is very easy to miss a few dipstick checks.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 12:14:38 pm »
I agree.  For German cars stick to the OEM spec sheet, so VW 504/507 etc. regardless of which manufacturer you choose.  There are reasons for those specifications apart from viscosity, low sulphur, low ash, low phosphorus etc.

http://www.oilspecifications.org/articles/vw_motor_oil_specifications_explained.php

Just out of curiosity, some of the VW Castrol sold in Canada is imported from Europe, so why did you go with 'German Castrol'?  Or were you just referring to the different viscosity?

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...