Author Topic: My test drive: Tesla Model S P85D  (Read 7187 times)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
My test drive: Tesla Model S P85D
« on: February 27, 2015, 04:24:31 pm »
My destination was the Apple store at Yorkdale. Being an EV geek a slight detour happened to take place, to the Tesla showroom just across the eisle. A few minutes into the conversation, mostly about the upcoming Model 3, a test drive was scheduled, obviously of the car they had "in stock" - the Model S.
And a few days later there I was, at an inconspicuous building on Lawrence near DVP, spotting a red "T" badge in front of it. 
My test car was a white Model S P85D; yes, the one with 2 motors driving all four 21" wheels. Needless to say, based on what I watched and read, I had high expectations for the car, and most of them have been met.
The Tesla was about the size of my Genesis and almost as good looking (I'm not joking, just trying to be un-biased towards either car). All four door handles slid out welcoming us in. Inside the car everything was... interesting. I missed the door storage compartments, but there was a spacious one between the front seats. Obviously the LED dash display was stunning. Huge, bright and instantly responding to every push of a button or a slider. It showed seat heat settings, climate controls and road traffic around us. There were also various steering and regen tune ups.
The interior felt more futuristic but less luxurious than the one I'm used to, but it is hardly the point of this car. The joy of driving is what the Model S is all about, while saving the Earth of course ;) The suspension feels firmer than the Genny's and the scantly shod 21" wheels let more road noise inside the car, or at least that was my impression, maybe influenced by the lack of engine rumble. Otherwise the body is brick solid and there are no creaks or rattles over any road surface. The cornering is out of this world. There is no body lean to speak of and it has to be the easiest car to learn drifting on :) Power delivery and brake force are easy to feel and modulate, the car does precisely what you tell it to do through the pedals. Again, there is no delay in responses or waiting for a downshift when accelerating or for any turbos to spin up.
The AWD grip and acceleration are insane. Floor it - boom! - you are doing 120kph. No noise, no drama, only a pleasant whistle-like humming coming from the motors. Off a stop light, if you want to change a lane or few, don't bother with the side mirrors, there isn't going to be anything as fast around you. And you won't leave your fellow motorists in plumes of smoke which they will likely appreciate. And yet, the S is a perfect and civilized daily driver. As I said above, the "gas" pedal allows you to precisely determine how fast you you want to be going, with a smart help from the "Creep"  ::)  - that's when the car slowly pulls forward the moment you let go off the brake pedal and before you step on the accelerator.
In conclusion, I thoroughly enjoyed the test drive and only wish I could have the car for a bit much longer. It is very different from everything I've ever driven. Not the most luxurious but definitely the most contagious. I suppose after a week of driving (or piloting?) such a super car there will be no going back to the fossil age, not for me anyway.
And finally, the Tesla ppl are pleasant to deal with. No pushing, no qualifying, no usual "what are you driving and when are you trading in" Everything was scheduled over email. I just wanted to yell "shut up and take my money" if I had any at the moment. I asked to let me know when the booking for the Model 3 will begin.
I'm looking forward to your questions. I will be back to keyboard later tonight.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
Re: My test drive: Tesla Model S P85D
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 05:23:34 pm »
No question Dan, glad you liked the experience. For sure once on EV there is no coming back to ICE (Ice age?) cars. Even my modest Leaf is absolutely addicting; well for me anyway.

I road tested the regular S and it was stunning but the P85D must be something else!

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 05:35:35 pm »
I've been in one, not driven myself and it is pretty awesome.

But I still don't think the ICE is ICE AGE.  Because most of the people (including you guys) are comparing this to a standard sedan with 150-200hp.

Compare it to a car with 400hp or 500hp.   And now they are comparable, on price and power. 

Yes I realize the P85 will still be faster but you get a similar feeling in those cars as well at that same price.  That seems to be the one thing people keep missing.

Not that I don't really like the Tesla, I do -- wish I could have one too.  But for now my 400+ hp V8 is still viable and I love the sound.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 06:37:36 pm »
Nope. I've driven a P85D, (article coming soon) a 707 hp Challenger Hellcat,  a 400 and something Challenger Shaker and a 442 hp Camaro, all within a few weeks of each other.

The Tesla renders the Camaro and the regular Challenger  boring, pedestrian, lame. Only the Challenger Hellcat matches it.

Even then the Tesla wins by sheer force of  "cool".

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 07:04:44 pm »
 ???
I've been in one, not driven myself and it is pretty awesome.

But I still don't think the ICE is ICE AGE.  Because most of the people (including you guys) are comparing this to a standard sedan with 150-200hp.

???  My Infiniti G37 had 330 HP. Our current Volvo has 300, yet it barely get used.  ???

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 07:04:50 pm »
You get use to it after awhile.   At least with the  engine you get some sound to enjoy.

You can't drive around slamming the throttle at every stop sign,  so the appeal of that goes away.

Either way you are comparing apples and oranges here.   Compare it to a big merc amg or something.

IMO it's because it's new and different.   In 30 years everyone will wish they had a gas engine to thrash around and make some noise.

Again you can't forget this car is nearly 150k.

It's actually underwhelming in the luxury department especially for the price.

I'd wager I'm the only one here that basically sees one up close daily in the summer as I have two friends with them.   

Again,  I love the car it just seems like nobody compares it to the equivalently priced ice car in terms of anything.   And they get overwhelmed by the acceleration which is awesome and ignore everything else.

PS.   It's slow on the track.

PPS  The camaro and challenger are slow because they weigh a mint.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 07:07:51 pm by wing »

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 07:05:57 pm »
Once you crossed the line, you can't go back  8)

I wished I had AWD on my Spark EV to fully exploit the instant torque all year around but it is okay, it costed me only a small fraction of the Tesla S and fulfill daily my commute and some medium range travel needs. In few more years, the selection of incoming EVs should really start to shine.

Nice review EV DAN btw  ;)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 07:09:34 pm by me_2 »
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 07:13:48 pm »
I forgot to say, nicely written Dan!

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 08:04:46 pm »
I forgot to say, nicely written Dan!

Thanks guys!  :)
It occurs to me from time to time that I could make a good enough interpreter, but one needs a thick skin to do that.

James: I was pleased to hear the purr of my V6 after that near silence but by the end of my day I'd prefer not to hear anything. I totally get it though and I'd much rather hear a V8 rumble, in a car bought to enjoy a weekend ride.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 11:24:34 am »

I wished I had AWD on my Spark EV to fully exploit the instant torque all year around but it is okay, it costed me only a small fraction of the Tesla S and fulfill daily my commute and some medium range travel needs. In few more years, the selection of incoming EVs should really start to shine.

Where are you to be able to buy a Spark EV?   Can you please write a review.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 11:30:35 am »
Very nice review! I'd love to have one of these.

I am not smitten with hearing engine noise from a day to day car. I'm not 16 anymore, and don't need to grab other people's attention. I'd much rather peace and quiet.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 12:33:31 pm »

I am not smitten with hearing engine noise from a day to day car. I'm not 16 anymore, and don't need to grab other people's attention. I'd much rather peace and quiet.

Never mind the Tesla for a minute.  I'd suggest you take out a Smart EV if you want to benchmark quiet potential of EVs.   The Smart doesn't make much noise of its own but the big surprise is how little external noise it lets in.

Anyway, it is a blast to drive.  And getting away from engine noise and the noise of all of the other systems plus the inherent smoothness of electric I'm sure will be addictive in a matter of days.  I hope to join the club in the fall.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 01:25:16 pm »

Cheers,
John M.

Bourgeois Chevrolet in Rawdon Qc is importing them from the US. This is where me_2 got his. It's a blast to drive I understand!

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 02:23:47 pm »

Cheers,
John M.

Bourgeois Chevrolet in Rawdon Qc is importing them from the US. This is where me_2 got his. It's a blast to drive I understand!

The supply is controlled by the bourgeoisie? Typical.  ;D

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 02:31:13 pm »
Forgot to mention that the switch gear and the steering wheel are very well done. The former I heard comes from MB and the latter looks sharp and is sporty and beefy.
What also impressed me is how much grip the car had when acceleration out of a corner. If I had to guess-timate about twice as much as my Genesis, on which the traction control threshold is kind of low. I don't know what kind of diff Tesla uses, I read that it's not LSD, just brake based electronic although it does a million calculation per second. Tesla ppl I've spoken to had no idea and I figure there need to be some diff as there are two wheels per motor. You guys think they could pull off a similar to Acura SH-AWD there?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2015, 02:39:26 pm »
Regarding quiet cruising.   A good ice can be silent,  my lx570 is,  can only hear the engine if you romp on it,  otherwise the vehicle is silent.

That is an interesting point about the diff.  If there is no lsd,  then it's just brake control.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2015, 05:43:59 pm »
"The supply is controlled by the bourgeoisie? Typical. "

Those swine! 

Time to mount a few of their heads on pikes and break down the doors to flood the country with the cheap EVs that the proletariat deserve.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2015, 06:57:49 pm »

The funny thing is, in 20 years time us oldies (and yes James I'm including you :P ) will be going on about our manual gearboxes and noisy V8's, whereas the kids will be gathering at cruises, installing the latest capacitors and downloading the latest tune, and they will be way way faster.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2015, 07:00:42 pm »
I'll be driving an electric car most likely.  They are great, just waiting for them to be affordable and give range like Telsa.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2015, 07:03:02 pm »
I'll be driving an electric car most likely.  They are great, just waiting for them to be affordable and give range like Telsa.

I agree on the $150K though, that's GranTurismo Stradale territory!!

Hmmm.... Silence, or a Maserati engine....

:rofl2: