Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 BMW 650i xDrive Gran Coupe  (Read 5261 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2013 BMW 650i xDrive Gran Coupe
« on: February 04, 2013, 06:27:27 am »

BMW turns the 6-Series into a 'four-door coupe', and succeeds at making quite the compelling vehicle.

Read More...

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2013 BMW 650i xDrive Gran Coupe
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 08:44:55 am »
So the 6 series will be both sedan 4-door and coupe 2-door offerings? I thought they were moving to even number nomenclature for 2-door models only?

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 08:51:59 am »
So the 6 series will be both sedan 4-door and coupe 2-door offerings? I thought they were moving to even number nomenclature for 2-door models only?

Since when does BMW follow any rules when it comes to slapping numbers on their cars? ;D

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 08:59:51 am »
Something looks off about the front.  I think it is the size/shape of the headlights.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 10:00:14 am »

The even number nomenclature is applied to coupes and convertibles regardless of number of doors.

The Gran Coupe is beautiful but it would be tough to justify the premium you pay over the equally fantastic Audi S7.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 01:57:33 pm »
The comment about the target buyers likely not being concerned about the option prices is probably true.

I'm sure it's a great car, but I personally can't see the $24K difference between this and the 550i with xDrive starting at $76K. 

M5 starting at $101K, looks like a bargain (relatively).

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 06:52:46 pm »
131 grand?  Why read the article..Just another overpriced BMW..Lovely, unobtainable and worthless to me...But, there are tons of millionaires out there that are in this market, I guess...Thanks...Bring on the Fords, Chryslers and Chevys.. Jack

Northernridge

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 06:56:45 pm »
I could get over the dopey name.

Pricing is well above the CLS and A7, closer to the Panamera. Actually seems spendy at $130 – the S7 starts at 89k while the CLS63 can be had for 111k. The Audi especially looks like a bargain compared to the Gran Coupe.

Edit – After poking around a bit I see that the 6 cyl Panamera starts at 87k and the V8 around 111k so it's priced right in this pack until the GTS level and up.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 11:26:05 pm by Northernridge »

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 01:51:07 pm »
I don't know what is happening to BMW. They used to be the company that offered the BEST car as a combination of driving performance and luxury. Now, they're offering bloated barges that seem to lack that "ultimate driving machine" mantra from yesteryear. I mean, Christ, the 650 is almost 4400 pounds!

Same thing with the new M5. Too heavy, lack of feel, fake engine noise etc. What are they doing? They're clearly taking their product in a new direction but I'm not sure it's going to work out?

Thats my whole issue with them, theyre becoming fake, fat and no longer the driving elite. When I think of a BMW I think of an E30 M3, or a E39 M5.....these new 4000Lb+ land barges arent appealing to me at all.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dave

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +23/-116
    • View Profile
    • www.clownpenis.fart
  • Cars: 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS, 2021 VW Atlas R-Line
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 04:45:49 pm »
I don't know what is happening to BMW. They used to be the company that offered the BEST car as a combination of driving performance and luxury. Now, they're offering bloated barges that seem to lack that "ultimate driving machine" mantra from yesteryear. I mean, Christ, the 650 is almost 4400 pounds!

Same thing with the new M5. Too heavy, lack of feel, fake engine noise etc. What are they doing? They're clearly taking their product in a new direction but I'm not sure it's going to work out?

I agree that BMW seems to be moving in the wrong direction for the enthusiast (e.g. softening across the line, more CUVs/cross-overs, etc.) but they're doing so to respond to the market and make money.  People are gobbling up the ridiculous (IMO) cross-over utes like the X1 and X6 (probably why an X4 is rumored?).  The 650 Gran Coupe was a direct response to the Audi A7/S7 and Benz CLS.  BTW, the Audi weighs 3800lbs and the CLS weighs 4409lbs!  When papa-bear was shopping for the M6 replacement, he was pretty interested to see how the Gran Coupe would turn out.  Too soft, no manual so ended up with the Panamera GTS (which is as raw as Vman's right hand after watching the Ravens on Sunday... :-X...which is to say VERY raw!)

The rags complained that the previous E90 generation 3 series was too harsh...now they complain that the F30 is too soft!  I'll admit that I miss my 135i some days...it was more nibble than my 335i, more fun to drive, more connected.  However, the wife hated driving the 135i because of the heavy steering and the way it crashed over potholes.  She LOVES the softer (even with the optional M-sport suspension) 335i.  I find it to be a worthy sacrifice for the extra room in the boot and backseat for the kids.  However, if the new M135i 4-door hatch back was available in NA...I know what I'd have in the garage!  Sure it's kinda fugly...but it is the closest thing to what I think a BMW should be.  Top Gear magazine said it best regarding the M135i, "My most recent drive in what BMW defines as a real M car was in the M6. It had all manner of M technical goodness and was massively fast. But it was heavy and remote. I want M to mean cars that are light and sharp and involving and make you go "Mmmmm." The M6 doesn't. This does."

Northernridge

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 07:32:47 pm »
As a buyer in the mid-sized sedan segment I really like what Audi, Mercedes and BMW are offering today. They used to offer one sedan each and now they've all added a 'coupe' sedan as well...all of which look great. Plus Infiniti and Lexus have competitive mid-sized sedans too...and Porsche. I'm pretty sure that they all weigh in around the 2 ton mark, but so what? These are mid-sized sedans, how long has it been since any of them were light weight? As for the AMG/M/R versions, they were never sports cars anyhow and it's been a while since any 5 Series was a legit sports sedan, it's been too big/heavy for ages.

I love driving cars from this segment for my daily driver. They certainly don't need to get any bigger (a little smaller would be fine) but on whole, they're fantastic.

Offline tinnemeneer

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +12/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 10:46:07 am »

Thats my whole issue with them, theyre becoming fake, fat and no longer the driving elite. When I think of a BMW I think of an E30 M3, or a E39 M5.....these new 4000Lb+ land barges arent appealing to me at all.

The new 3 series is almost the same size as the old E39 (actually more spacious inside). A new 328i is better than the E39 530i (I owned one) and the new 335i will run circles around the old M5.
I can't imagine why BMW should make it's 6 series luxury coupe compete with their own mid size sedan.
If you enjoyed the E39 you can enjoy a new 3 series. If you need or prefer a CLS type coupe, buy this car.

But p-l-e-a-s-e stop whing about the good old days... fanboys then preffered a BMW 2002 or a horse driven carriage. :P

Offline tinnemeneer

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +12/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 03:32:15 am »
bmw is just trying to capture every segment.   fat rich people have a lot of money and bmw wants to take it from them. the 6 series has always been a barge aimed right at these people.   watch it fly out the door.  if i were to put a finger on a segment that bmw hasn't filled yet surprisingly, would be a 1 series 4 door sport sedan.  the 3 series has grown so large,  it's left a gaping hole the size of manhattan.   luckily for us,  it's coming as a 2 series and it won't be a barge.   i can't wait to test drive the M version of this car.  audi figured this out and by the summer there will be a a3 and s3 4 door sedan.

Skinny rich people also have a lot of money, or so I've heard. :)