Author Topic: Extreme Raptor Adventure  (Read 5813 times)

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
Extreme Raptor Adventure
« on: September 28, 2016, 12:37:26 pm »
I recently participated in the Kootenay Cannonball off-road event for Ford Raptor enthusiasts. It took place in the area around Nelson, BC. Six Raptors showed up including people from Seattle, Spokane, and San Francisco. As in previous years, the event was headquartered at Baldface Lodge - a cat skiing and snowboarding lodge accessible only by helicopter in the winter. The Lodge is normally closed in the summer but is accessible by a rough and twisty mountain road. The nerves got on edge early when we were told that a couple days before our arrival a local lost control of his vehicle and went over the edge. When rescuers went to recover the body, the poor guy had already been eaten by bears! Later in the weekend we had to stop by the organizer's home in Nelson. Everyone was chatting outside when someone noticed some movement in a huge cedar tree in the back yard. A grizzly with two cubs was up there! Besides putting the dog in the house, nobody got too excited. Although one of the U.S. guys looked a little nervous and muttered, "You guys and your bears. You're hardcore up here!"

The weekend involved mostly slower technical driving rather than the high speed runs we'd done before. The first day was cloudy and rainy. The Raptors had no problems tackling the steep and narrow rocky trails. Until one hit a large rock resulting in a flat tire and whacked out steering alignment. The wheel and tire combo that most of these guys run weigh about 100 lbs so changing a flat can be challenging at the best of times. Everyone was very well equipped with recovery gear and they had the tire changed amazingly quickly. The wonky steering made for a little excitement on the narrow trails though.

The second day cleared up but the mood quickly changed when we found ourselves on an extremely narrow, deep forest trail. It was more like a dark green tunnel than a trail. Fallen trees had been cut to make it passable but many still jutted out like a jousters lance making it slow going moving the big Raptors through. The road finally opened up, to everyone's relief. But the real challenge had just begun. We now found ourselves along a goat path cut into the side of a mountain barely wide enough for the trucks to fit on. On the driver's side were massive exposures where a truck would not stop until it had gone down thousands of feet. On the other side, sharp rocks jutted out from the bank just waiting to gouge a sidewall. This meant that in some sections the drivers had to ride up the bank to avoid the rocks which provided a view out the driver's side straight down to the valley bottom. During this section it didn't seem like seatbelts would be much help anyway so every truck's passengers hung out the windows calling out instructions to the drivers - "You've got a good 3 inches on this side!"

We finally reached an open area where we could stop and actually open the doors. The tension was thick and nobody was saying too much. Mainly because the push to the summit was still to come. One driver said he was having some panic attack symptoms so he left his truck and rode in another to the top. He later said being a passenger was much worse than driving. He and a few others chose to take their chances on foot, walking down from the summit rather that ride in a truck. The Raptors gauges showed an 18 degree grade going up to the peak. That doesn't sound like much but it feels like you're looking straight up into the sky. The switchbacks here were so tight that the Raptors had to do a 3-point turn to get around the corner - backing up to within inches of massive drop offs.

There was only room for a couple trucks at the peak but the view was glorious! As we walked around the summit we found a memorial painted on the rock for what was apparently a truck full of kids that had gone over the cliff years ago. The remains of the truck were still visible as a bluish speck at the edge of the forest below.

Here is some brief drone footage of us at the summit:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3zvamqxacx8hv3v/mountain%20top.mp4?dl=0

« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 05:52:56 pm by Cord »
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: Extreme Raptor Adventure
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 01:08:05 pm »
Wow, sounds scary!

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 01:10:48 pm »
Looks fun!!  Just needed to take something a little more narrow & just as capable... like a Wrangler Rubicon  :rofl: 

I think it would've been a blast to do, thanks for sharing!
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 01:34:49 pm »
great shots! the bear incident would make me a little nervous... (the one about the local)...

the views are always better when the climb is hard!

thanks for sharing. great stuff as always. were you doing mostly driving or navigating? not sure what would be more stressful.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 01:41:31 pm »
 :run: :cheers:  holy shnikes! 

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 01:56:36 pm »
Wow...that sounds like it was quite the adventure!
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 03:15:11 pm »

Amazing trip!
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 03:17:17 pm »

Amazing trip!
I think that pretty well sums up my feelings towards this adventure perfectly hahhaha

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 04:52:40 pm »
Nice write-up, and sounds like a great trip.  I did chuckle about the 18% bit, here on the Coast we have lots of logging roads that are well over 18%; 18% is the grade we need to put signs up for  :D  However, 18% on broken, rocky ground can be very challenging, so well done.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 05:00:21 pm »
I think this might be the best one yet, treacherous as it was.  Nice pics. Kinda wish the drone footage was longer.  Beautiful country, this.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 05:00:49 pm »
 :thumbup: :cheers:

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 05:47:42 pm »
Nice write-up, and sounds like a great trip.  I did chuckle about the 18% bit, here on the Coast we have lots of logging roads that are well over 18%; 18% is the grade we need to put signs up for  :D  However, 18% on broken, rocky ground can be very challenging, so well done.

That slope was 18 degrees. I believe that equates to about a 32 percent grade.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 05:52:01 pm »
were you doing mostly driving or navigating? not sure what would be more stressful.

I was merely a passenger/navigator/radio operator/spotter. Owning and modifying/repairing one of these beasts is beyond my means.  :)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 07:33:55 pm »
Interior of BC has some really challenging places to take vehicles.  And tires issues are really common - this summer we were fortunate not to have a cut tire on trails - rocks can be razor sharp.

Awesome TR - thanks!

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2016, 05:35:10 pm »

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2016, 05:43:14 pm »
Wow - that is awesome. Sounds like quite the adventure.

Offline Bulkley

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +11/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Crosstrek, 2023 Leaf
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2016, 06:11:08 pm »
Just think of the loggers, miners and others who work in the mountains who drive roads like that all winter. 

Great trip.  Great pictures.