Author Topic: Summer/Winter Outdoor Gear Thread  (Read 73413 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Summer/Winter Outdoor Gear Thread
« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2015, 02:50:51 am »
I have a similar pair...without the leather. PL150s...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Northernridge

Re: Summer/Winter Outdoor Gear Thread
« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2015, 04:06:42 pm »
My main outdoor winter activity has become snowshoeing since I quite snowmobiling. Snowshoeing is pretty pedestrian (although I really enjoy it) so I don't talk much about it. Not much elevation to deal with in my part of southern Manitoba and not as much snow as other places. Wind and cold are our main challenges. Today I used my Atlas 1235s. I bought them a couple years ago from MEC for deeper snow (they're 35"). The bindings may look complex in the photo but they are very good, fast to tighten and loosen (faster than my MSRs) and hold tight. One interesting feature is that the bindings are attached by straps (they float – see the white straps around the frame?) so when side-hilling your feet can rotate vertically somewhat. They do not have anywhere near the traction of MSRs though. Also I don't think there is a repair kit available like there is for MSR shoes.

I like them a lot but prefer the MSRs for lightness and better traction on trails
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 04:08:36 pm by Northernridge »

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2015, 05:41:38 pm »
Totally agree.  As with any other activity, the conditions determine the gear.  Those are nice shoes for floaty snow - love the Atlas bindings.  On my trek yesterday, I would lose ground to my other mates in the fluffy stuff, as they had Tubbs and GV gear, and longer legs.  But, when it came to negotiating some steep inclines over and around rocks with narrow footholds in between, I was like a billy goat.  The MSRs really shine under those conditions.  The other bonus is that the MSR upward/downward/sideways traction takes some of the load off my knees, which really helps mitigate the risk of overuse injuries. 

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-434
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2015, 11:53:22 am »
Bought one of these Helly Hansen Odin Mountain Shells. I can't believe people actually buy these things at full pop ($700 :o). Even at 50% off I was on the fence..

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2015, 03:38:48 pm »
I don't know much about HH gear - they haven't been strong marketing to backcounty enthusiasts.  I have one piece of their gear - my supplied instructor jacket from the ski hill, and honestly, I'm glad it's not mine as I'm not really impressed with the fit or construction.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-434
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2015, 05:04:23 pm »
Yeah HH like North Face have many lines. I agree that a good chunk of the HH stuff is so- so at best but this Odin line is a different beast. They have a store near my office so  it is just a matter of waiting. It's a 3 ply shell but at this rate it will next year country for it.

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2015, 01:33:44 pm »
Bought one of these Helly Hansen Odin Mountain Shells. I can't believe people actually buy these things at full pop ($700 :o). Even at 50% off I was on the fence..

Love that colour!

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2015, 01:42:24 pm »
I don't know much about HH gear - they haven't been strong marketing to backcounty enthusiasts.  I have one piece of their gear - my supplied instructor jacket from the ski hill, and honestly, I'm glad it's not mine as I'm not really impressed with the fit or construction.

my wife has a HH softshell.  She's had it for about 8 years.   It's been so long I can't remember where she got it but it still looks new.   That shell is really awesome.   But it's the only HH thing we've got.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2015, 01:46:07 pm »
I wanted a new pant shell for XC skiing and winter biking.
something that wasn't baggy to get caught in the chain and something that's still comfortable and not tight.

I scored these on sale at our local outdoor store

So far these pants have been absolutely amazing.
I have a wonderful zip up hoodie from arc'teryx that I picked up out West... 
So their stuff.   Love their Canadian... just wish they still made most of their stuff in Canada.

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2015, 02:24:06 pm »
something that wasn't baggy to get caught in the chain

Gaiters would solve that problem with any pants.  :)

Those look very nice, by the way.  Love soft shell stuff.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #90 on: March 09, 2015, 10:36:38 am »
Snowshoe questions, with end of season sales going on was looking at the MSR line for me and the g/f.

Are the Evo's enough for a first timer to putter around with? They seem to be everywhere, and cheap.

Or, is it worth trying to find a Revo?

And, if so, is the fancy straps on the Explore worth it over the basic ones on the Trail?

Lastly, 22" or 25"? I'm about 165, the g/f is considerably less.

Northernridge

« Reply #91 on: March 09, 2015, 12:38:11 pm »
Snowshoe questions, with end of season sales going on was looking at the MSR line for me and the g/f.

Are the Evo's enough for a first timer to putter around with? They seem to be everywhere, and cheap.

And, if so, is the fancy straps on the Explore worth it over the basic ones on the Trail?

I have the shoes that preceded both the Evo and Revo so here's my answers based on those...

Yes, the Evo's are enough to putter around with (and more). The plastic shoes are light, durable, excellent traction, there is repair kit available, straps are easy to use and 'tails' are available to make the shoes longer and add floatation (see the black tails on the red shoes below). The main downside in my experience is that they are loud on hard snow...the plastic makes a hell of a racket on crisp snow.

The Revo's (mine are Lighting Ascent) are better in every way, lighter, better traction, improved bindings, quieter, etc. I would say to with these except the Evos are so good.

Also, I'd buy the shorter shoes and the tails for when the going gets deep. For packed/semi-packed trails shorter shoes are easy to handle and have adequate floatation. I use my shortest shoes when I'm trail hiking and carry the tails for off-trail jaunts. However, if floatation is the priority you need the longest shoes rated for your loaded weight. When the going is deep, I switch to large old-fashioned wood-framed/gut shoes.

So back to your original question, the Evos will meet easily your needs. In my opinion, it comes down to budget.

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 09, 2015, 12:43:08 pm »
My Denali Ascents were the same hard plastic as the Evos.  The noise drove me nuts when we did hard-parked trails.  Clack, clack, clack.  They also had the same type of bindings, but I had three on the front.  Oh, sure... easy to fiddle with those straps in the store, when it's 22C.  Much more difficult to manipulate them when it's below zero.  The Explore bindings are miles ahead in that department.  I saw the value, and was happy to pay more for that convenience.  Other people may not care about these things.

Your G/F should get the smallest ones (22", I think).  At 165 lbs, I believe you're on the borderline, but don't forget that you also have to add the weight of your gear (insulated clothing, boots, backpack).  I'd go 25" for yours.

Quad, what do you think?

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #93 on: March 09, 2015, 01:16:12 pm »
Cool. Thanks everyone. The way I understand it:

Evos are hard plastic, center grips
Revos are hard plastic, perimeter grips
Lightnings are canvas, perimeter grips

All those are made in three types:
Trails have traditional straps
Ascents have an extra traditional strap, for more security climbing
Explores have the snowboarding type straps

So the ideal then is a Lightning Explore, but they are expensive. OK.

The only issue I've seen (in reviews, anyway) is the Lightning Explore harness can apparently lose lock and twist, and may not be big enough for large boots.

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 13, 2015, 01:57:00 pm »
So, what have you decided?   :)

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 16, 2015, 09:31:29 pm »
Ordered these GoreTex pants for rain events.  I have some GTX OR pants that fit this function, but I HATE the granny-style elastic waistband, so I avoid using them.  The Arc'teryx have a different adjustment feature, which looks fairly simple: elastic at the back, with hooks and loops to loosen or tighten, and flat at the front.  They also zip right down from the waist, and up from the cuffs.  Me likey, and I liked the price even more.

Alpha SL:

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #96 on: March 16, 2015, 09:39:20 pm »
Missed this one...

Yes to the Evo's. They are a great snowshoe as long as you aren't going through 5 feet of snow every day.

Your G/F should get the smallest ones (22", I think).  At 165 lbs, I believe you're on the borderline, but don't forget that you also have to add the weight of your gear (insulated clothing, boots, backpack).  I'd go 25" for yours.

Quad, what do you think?

When it comes to weight I don't worry about it unless I'm doing big powder all the time. I tell people (in our area of course) to just get the shortest pair you can as you will probably hike through more technical sections than deep powder.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Summer/Winter Outdoor Gear Thread
« Reply #97 on: March 16, 2015, 09:52:21 pm »
The beauty of my MSR snowshoes is the detachable tails. Then I have the "right" size for what I'm doing.

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 16, 2015, 10:00:06 pm »
The beauty of my MSR snowshoes is the detachable tails. Then I have the "right" size for what I'm doing.

True enough, and like Quad said... just go short.  As a basic starting point for his weight without gear, though, and given that PJ is out west, the 25" would be considered short.  He may not even need the tails for most trails, if they're packed down.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
« Reply #99 on: March 17, 2015, 11:01:32 am »
Just when I got excited about looking for snowshoes all the snow went away here and I started three weeks on the road. Will keep an eye out.

Did order a new armored mesh jacket though:

Wore my old one out after I discovered it was good not only for motorcycling but anything where body armour would be useful, ie longboarding, and under a shell, snowboarding, and skiing.