Author Topic: CD Article: 2009 Mercedes-Benz BlueTec diesel models  (Read 12403 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2009 Mercedes-Benz BlueTec diesel models
« on: July 08, 2008, 10:31:12 pm »

First Drive:
2009 Mercedes-Benz BlueTec diesel models

2009 Mercedes-Benz BlueTec diesel modelsML 320, GL 320 and R 320: This Fall, Mercedes-Benz' BlueTec diesel engines with new AdBlue injection systems will be available in the ML, GL and R utility models.  Cleaner and more fuel-efficient, these torquey diesel engines are also great for towing, says Contributor Bob McHugh.  

More:
Read the article | View the photos | All the First Drives

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: CD Article: 2009 Mercedes-Benz BlueTec diesel models
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 06:13:19 am »
One has to ask:   What is the freezing point of the Adblue stuff.   I suspect it is very low, low enough that it will still be liquid when the #1 diesel looks like Jello.

from an SAE paper   Aqueous urea freezes at -11.5C.     So I wonder what is added as for Canada the freezing point would have to be well below -40C.

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 07:25:21 am »
..OH GOODY........finally a vehicle wif an INDOOR BIFFY...............I need ta GO FAST ...er..... :P
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Eric Green

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 09:46:02 am »
After a few years of Canadian winters, what will be the cost of replacing the entire exhaust system with the AdBlu injector and particulate trap? At least $3K, I'd guess (this being a Mercedes product). That should certainly be factored in to fuel "savings" calculations when buying such a vehicle.

Also, why is it that MB needs this urea injection system, when Honda does not?

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 09:54:45 am »
I read somewhere that bigger engines are not so amenable to the Honda way.   For instance I didn't think the new  Jetta engine requires the adblue but that the bigger diesel sold in Audis and the Toureq would require it.   Can't remember the reference.

More importantly:   Canada's regulations do not require the Adblue so why should we have to pay for it here?     The provinces that wish to have their own separate emissions regulations should be slapped down and told to wait until there are new federal regulations.

As for replacing the exhaust system.   It is certainly possible to fabricate a whole exhaust system in such a way that it will last a decade in Canadian conditions.   That added cost might well be prohibitive on an Aveo but is just noise on the price on a M-B E class.

My BMW exhaust was all stainless and showed no external signs of corrosion after 5 years.

Eric Green

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 10:01:37 am »
tpl:

I agree with you re a fabbed s/s system; I've used Hot Rod Scott in Etobicoke for years on my various gasoline-powered vehicles. But I'd doubt that even HRS would be capable of building a specialized, injection-capable exhaust for such a vehicle. It's always the out-of-warranty successor owner that eats these massive repair costs (think Range Rover air bags...)

Good point re. Canadian emissions standards- why do we have to pay for a compliance with a non-regulated standard?

Mitlov

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 01:00:08 pm »
I read somewhere that bigger engines are not so amenable to the Honda way.   For instance I didn't think the new  Jetta engine requires the adblue but that the bigger diesel sold in Audis and the Toureq would require it.   Can't remember the reference.

If I recall correctly, the Honda/Jetta way actually takes a chunk out of fuel efficiency. 

By the way, how about a C220 Bluetec?  The concept made 170 hp, 295 lb-ft, and consumed 5.5L / 100 km.

http://www.netcarshow.com/mercedes-benz/2007-vision_c_220_bluetec_concept/

kurtdaniel

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 11:32:09 pm »
i really want to test drive the new blue tec and experience this new mercedes benz parts that they have added.. :popo:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 09:25:50 pm by kurtdaniel »

Honda Owner

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 10:10:09 pm »
 :notroll: