Author Topic: Would you rent out your car?  (Read 11059 times)

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
Re: Would you rent out your car?
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2016, 01:23:19 pm »
At first I thought the truck would be the perfect candidate.  But, it's too old and too many km.  Shame, because it sits a home doing nothing most days and really a scratch or four isn't a big deal.

No way would I rent something newer.  It's inevitable that minor damage would happen and be a major PIA.

What I'm wondering is, how will people treat these borrowed cars?  I'm thinking they'll take better care (and caution) than they would a rental from a faceless corporation.  Plus if there's a review mechanism then people will have incentive to not abuse them. Then again, I might be asking too much from my fellow man.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2016, 01:25:10 pm »
Obviously the consensus on an auto enthusiast forum is going to be a clear "no".

Right. I wouldn't answer so definitely. I'd say it depends.

For example, if I had a third car that was an appliance and not a daily driver I might consider it.

Or if I lived in a city, drove an appliance, and only drove it occasionally, I would also consider it.

It's a bit different but a friend of mine rents out his house on Airbnb. He doesn't live there, it's very nice, and he realizes more revenue renting it nightly/weekly than if he rented it monthly.

Offline craigq

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-9
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 17FozXT, 18MiragePOS
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2016, 03:17:56 pm »
Due to my misguided emotional attachment to these inanimate objects my answer is no. As mentioned, if viewed purely as an appliance with a specific function then I imagine my view would swing the other way.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2016, 03:28:44 pm »
It's a bit different but a friend of mine rents out his house on Airbnb. He doesn't live there, it's very nice, and he realizes more revenue renting it nightly/weekly than if he rented it monthly.

Right, but I think the major difference here is the rental property doesn't depreciate with use.   Yes it needs maintenance like a car, but in 99% of circumstances, the investment in the property is a net positive returner for the owner.   If the shorter term rental betters the return for the owner, all the better.

In the case of cars, you would not be able to invest in a "rental car" and have the rental fees cover the cost of depreciation, insurance, maintenance, plus profit.   Because of that I think the viability of this business becomes somewhat niche.   Sure some people will own an appliance and feel it worth their while to rent out some available slots to make a bit of cash....but not enough to be a big business.   Zip cars, etc make way more sense.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2016, 04:07:55 pm »
If Beyonce insisted................... :shuffle:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2016, 08:34:08 pm »
:censor: no. I get nervous when friends or family drive it!!

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2016, 11:14:58 pm »
No, but I'd be interested to rent some cars for a day, primarily the models I would consider owning in the future. I'd rather pay someone and try the car for a day than deal with a dealer and only be able to drive it for half an hour. I think not many ppl would drive them like they stole them, since there would be some rating system in place, similar to Uber's.
I wonder however how intersection cams  and traffic violations will be dealt with... 407 too.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2016, 06:36:09 pm »
http://bgr.com/2016/04/18/tesla-model-s-cheapest-rentals/

Based on the article, looks like we could rent out our Tesla S for $150/day.   
I'm sceptical.  That's pretty cheap for an amazing ride.

At first blush, I'd need to charge at least $200 per day to feel comfortable with the trade off / risk.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2016, 07:49:58 pm »
That's pretty cheap for an amazing ride.

::)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2016, 09:51:19 pm »
http://bgr.com/2016/04/18/tesla-model-s-cheapest-rentals/

Based on the article, looks like we could rent out our Tesla S for $150/day.   
I'm sceptical.  That's pretty cheap for an amazing ride.

At first blush, I'd need to charge at least $200 per day to feel comfortable with the trade off / risk.

Or you could rent it out for $300 a day, with you to ride along telling them how great it is.  I'm sure your verbal e-diarrhea is worth another $100 an hour..?

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2016, 10:37:25 pm »
Or you could rent it out for $300 a day, with you to ride along telling them how great it is.  I'm sure your verbal e-diarrhea is worth another $100 an hour..?

:rofl2:

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2016, 01:47:37 pm »
i'm another nope...

except i did have some cars listed with film rental stuff... in case there was a local tv show/movie filming that needed a period car. some cars i had listed as i was the only one who could drive it, others were whomever.

only had a couple calls, but wouldn't have had an issue with that.

too many risks normally... red light cameras, 407 bills, etc. that wouldn't show up until a month after the rental... possible damage... just way too many questions that as others have said, just not worth it unless there was an actual return.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2016, 12:03:56 am »
with you to ride along telling them how great it is

Well for you, my commentary is free!   :rofl2:

As for people who ride along in our Tesla, it's only smiles and compliments, so I must be doing the demo correctly.

Then again, did have someone throw up after a series of launches in the P85 loaner we had last year, so you may be on to something about the nausea. 

Back on topic, I have met and talked to an Uber driver at the Toronto Tesla supercharger a few times.  He pays nothing for fuel, and gets great tips.   Renting out would be more acceptable as an Tesla owner, as you just work from home those days, or whatever, at least you're not driving drunk nightclub patrons in your back seat.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2016, 12:20:57 pm »
I don't get who this is supposed to appeal to. My last trip to Phoenix I rented a 2016 Mustang Convertible for $31/day. Taking a quick look at the Turo site for cars available at the airport, for the same price I could get a 2013 Versa, 2012 Rio, 2011 Accent, 2009 Civic, 2010 Lancer, etc. And most of those are actually a couple dollars per day more.

I also see some people have multiple cars for rent. Bought a bunch of cheap beaters at auction and put them up for rent?

Seems like a really sketchy business model.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline petetherocker

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 JGC Overland, 3.6L
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2016, 11:19:43 am »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2016, 09:08:46 pm »
with you to ride along telling them how great it is

Well for you, my commentary is free!   :rofl2:

As for people who ride along in our Tesla, it's only smiles and compliments, so I must be doing the demo correctly.

Then again, did have someone throw up after a series of launches in the P85 loaner we had last year, so you may be on to something about the nausea. 

Back on topic, I have met and talked to an Uber driver at the Toronto Tesla supercharger a few times.  He pays nothing for fuel, and gets great tips.   Renting out would be more acceptable as an Tesla owner, as you just work from home those days, or whatever, at least you're not driving drunk nightclub patrons in your back seat.

Why would renting out your car be more acceptable as a Tesla owner? That's bizarre...

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2016, 12:12:10 am »
Why would renting out your car be more acceptable as a Tesla owner? That's bizarre...

More acceptable to rent out than drive it myself obviously.  Our Tesla is a garage queen most of the week because I commute in my Smart ED, and my wife does the school run in the morning in the Smart ED (prefers it for ease of parking).   

We put 20000 km on it over the winter, so it gets a lot of driving evenings and weekends. 

But in summer, it sits idle most days.  Renting it out would be convenient for us in the summer.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2016, 10:42:16 am »
And what does that have to do with it being a Tesla?  ???

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2016, 10:43:17 am »

He just likes inserting Tesla creepishly/awkwardly into every sentence.  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2016, 11:30:41 am »

He just likes inserting Tesla creepishly/awkwardly into every sentence.  ;D

Ha ha, that's tesla hilarious!