Author Topic: Test Drive: 2016 Chevrolet Cruze RS Sedan  (Read 17582 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
Test Drive: 2016 Chevrolet Cruze RS Sedan
« on: October 25, 2016, 07:41:49 am »
The silent assassin
Read more...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Test Drive: 2016 Chevrolet Cruze RS Sedan
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 08:23:18 am »
Could you explain
GM has even taken on the back-of-steering-wheel audio controls pioneered by the Fiat–Chrysler

Is this same as the volume control on the back of steering wheel on my 2011 Chevy ?

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 08:51:47 am »
Seems like a nice and much improved car, especially weight reduction while at the same time reducing NVH. The previous version was already better than most compacts re: NVH. Saw two of the sedans yesterday, one with the RS package which is way better looking than the previous Cruze IMHO.

I see from this morning's news that GM is making potfuls of profits from making boxes instead of cars and, of course, everything it does in China. Previously at or near the front of the industry with performance, it now appears GM's new formula for making money excludes same. GM has nothing in two major car segments, compacts and mid size, which have optional engines anywhere close to being competitive. And in the case of compacts, no option at all, when its easy for them to do. Plus, they walked away from the compact near luxury segment entirely after only one try.

Its clear they said to buyers like me, "and don't let the door hit you on the way out". Too bad they can't see the writing on the wall that says there's a 10-20% sales boost at higher gross margins available in the compact car market, and perhaps 5-10% in the mid size by making something competitive to the Fusion Sport and comparable European/Asian offerings. Plus, surely they know there is a Hyundai G70 and Kia GT coming in the relatively near future too.

As an owner, its sad.   

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 02:17:01 pm »
Could you explain
GM has even taken on the back-of-steering-wheel audio controls pioneered by the Fiat–Chrysler

Is this same as the volume control on the back of steering wheel on my 2011 Chevy ?

My 99 Sienna had behind the wheel audio controls. I thought it was weird at first but it actually worked really well.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 10:54:29 am »
I took one of these for a brief test drive, an RS too. In the gorgeous blue.  Thought it was actually a pretty nice little car.  Looks so much better than the new Civic.   

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 11:50:19 am »
looks pretty nice...also looks to be nicely equipped for $24k here...i see a ton of Cruzes around these parts so they sell pretty good around here.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 01:43:47 pm »
Ah, so my next rental car will be an improvement  :rofl2:

Nothing terribly wrong with the Cruze itself, it's just the competition is so much better. And to do well, it has to excel at something.
ř cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 02:43:52 pm »
Ah, so my next rental car will be an improvement  :rofl2:

Nothing terribly wrong with the Cruze itself, it's just the competition is so much better. And to do well, it has to excel at something.

Things have changed. This Motor Trend comparison test sure won't fit your predetermined opinion then, so dismiss it for X or Y reason. The Cruze finished 2nd out of 7 compacts, and if the Honda Civic styling and/or interior grates on your nerves, then the Cruze won. Better than Sentra (7th, surprised not), Corolla (6th, surprised not), VW Jetta (5th), Mazda 3 (4th), Elantra (3rd), Cruze (2nd), Civic (1rst);

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda/civic/2016/2016-2017-big-test-compact-sedans/

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 04:20:34 pm »
^I did read the Motortrend review, and their opinion is valid. But I tend to disagree horribly with a lot of their opinions and comparison tests.

I guess to make things fair and talk just about sedans, not hatches, I'd have first the Focus followed by the Jetta (despite my disdain for its ageing platform). And then Mazda3, and then the rest.

The chassis and body control of the Ford C1 platform and VW MQB platforms are just best in class. Well-damped, no excess movement when cornering hard, no slop.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 04:26:20 pm »
I'm obviously biased (though we've got a hatch anyways), but it surprised me they would omit the focus. They had every other option (kia notwithstanding - but that's at least similar to elantra!)

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 04:33:59 pm »
^I did read the Motortrend review, and their opinion is valid. But I tend to disagree horribly with a lot of their opinions and comparison tests.

I guess to make things fair and talk just about sedans, not hatches, I'd have first the Focus followed by the Jetta (despite my disdain for its ageing platform). And then Mazda3, and then the rest.

The chassis and body control of the Ford C1 platform and VW MQB platforms are just best in class. Well-damped, no excess movement when cornering hard, no slop.

Its unfortunate VW didn't launch a new Jetta on the new platform within a year of bringing out the new Golf, and still hasn't launched it. And the improvements made to the Mazda 3 this year might make it score way better than the 2016 and move back to the top.

The landscape is always changing, except for the Sentra and Corolla it seems.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 07:55:21 pm »
 This sounds like a really nice driving complete...car. As is the Sentra also...a car for Pete's sake. Add the new Elantra and you have a difficult trio to choose from. OOOsels of power and more importantly...torque where you want it, in this one anyway. Nicely located simple rear twist beam for proper rear tire wear. What's not to like...it sounds like the best combination in this size of car that I have read in a while
   Rear drum brakes would top it off for me. Oh, and smaller wheels for a more comfy ride and cheaper rubber. Good report

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 08:48:24 pm »
Well, you can buy an ugly Cruze if you want.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 10:10:57 pm »
No idea what the picture guy means...
Rear drum brakes would top it off for me. Oh, and smaller wheels for a more comfy ride and cheaper rubber. Good report

Therefore...

Before your time I take it...or you were into country/The Carpenters growing up.   ;D :stick:

Nope, you're older than I am...so, maybe...a little of this back in the day?  ;D :run:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 10:13:26 pm by BWII »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 10:44:43 pm »

Nicely located simple rear twist beam for proper rear tire wear.

WTF? That makes zero sense.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2016, 10:45:18 pm »
Lucky girl. I remember watching their farewell concert when I was a kid...30+ years later they're still saying good-bye!

It was in reference to the small wheels, cushy tires....getting old.  I would rather a harsh ride on 18's (that thing doesn't ride harsh on 18's but whatever) than drive it with fugly wheels for that little bit of perceived comfort.  Or cost of tires.  Hence: Old.  Didn't check Rupert's vitals....but I swear he's gotta be pushing 80.  ;)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2016, 12:13:00 am »
Should hold it's own with GM shoppers, but not a conquest vehicle.  Hatch should move the needle up.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2016, 07:41:33 am »
I have had worse insults from better people.

And the person who uses capital letters knows nothing about car design obviously or he would not have needed to ask.

A well located twist beam rear works just fine with front wheel drive...as the report points out if you read it. Simplicity and low maintenance and trunk room result. Even tire wear also...not tapered that some independent rears have.

Drum rear brakes work just fine and last longer. The life of your ownership some times in my experience. Ideal for decent cars for ordinary use and busy folk. Simple hand brake design is also a good feature.

Yeah...I like a softer ride with better rough road performance...so what. The car is also offered with 15" and 16" wheels for discerning folk.

Oh to be young again with the practical knowledge that age brings.

Offline Robin2

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-9
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Subaru WRX, 2011 Subaru WRX sedan, 1999 Subaru Impreza RS, 1992 Mazda 323
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2016, 09:11:40 am »
still majority of sales will be fleet sales to rental companies.

Welcome to 2005 - Chevy cobalt
Wecome to 1998 - Chevy Cavalier

the cruze is just the continuous cycle of GM and compacts.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2016, 09:16:47 am »
I have had worse insults from better people.

And the person who uses capital letters knows nothing about car design obviously or he would not have needed to ask.

A well located twist beam rear works just fine with front wheel drive...as the report points out if you read it. Simplicity and low maintenance and trunk room result. Even tire wear also...not tapered that some independent rears have.

Drum rear brakes work just fine and last longer. The life of your ownership some times in my experience. Ideal for decent cars for ordinary use and busy folk. Simple hand brake design is also a good feature.

Yeah...I like a softer ride with better rough road performance...so what. The car is also offered with 15" and 16" wheels for discerning folk.

Oh to be young again with the practical knowledge that age brings.

OMG I used capital letters. The world is ending. For the record, WTF is suppose to be in capital letters. Wake up, it isn't 1910 anymore.

This is what you said and it doesn't make any sense.

Nicely located simple rear twist beam for proper rear tire wear.

Where else would they install a rear twist beam? So how is it nicely located?  Also, having a twist beam has nothing to do with proper tire wear. So again, it doesn't make any sense.

If you want your cars with technology from 1950, great, you can have it but the rest of the world has moved forward. Get over it.