Author Topic: Why not ceramic wheel bearings?  (Read 2064 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1252/-7197
    • View Profile
Why not ceramic wheel bearings?
« on: April 20, 2016, 06:58:39 pm »
When the wheel bearing was replaced on my LS430 after the raccoon mishap, I asked for the old one.  I thought I'd take it apart, buy 2 new bearings, and put it back together and use it for a spare should I ever need one.

Well, I was quite shocked when I got the hub apart.  Instead of finding a couple of bearing units, it's was different.  The balls themselves sit in Delrin retainers rings.  And the "race" is machined right into the hub.  And the retainers sit inside the hub packed with grease.  This was very surprising to me.  But at the same time, I see room for opportunity.  Like replacing the ball bearings with ceramic ones.

I don't see any reason why it can't be done, since ceramic bearings are even harder than steel bearings.  Cost would be about $10 a ball I think..and there's 22 balls.  Even at that price, it's significantly cheaper than a new one.  And should far exceed the life of regular bearings.

Any comments?

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1071
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
Re: Why not ceramic wheel bearings?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 11:07:31 pm »
Terrible idea ;)
Does nothing to keep the part suppliers (or retailers....or installers) in business.  :rofl:

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 07:53:32 pm »
I have never heard of ceramic being used...does not sound right to me. The success of a bearing is also dependent upon the hardness combination of ball and race materials. Angular contact ball bearings, shown, are used a lot now and on this part come as an assembled sealed for life unit ready for bolting on to the vehicle. They are used on the front wheels also. I have never had a problem with them.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 12:20:40 am »

There are some coming out.  Bicycle ceramic wheel bearings have been around for a while, now motorcycles too.

http://www.performancebearing.com/dragracing.html  These guys have some for Camaro and Mustangs and some other racing applications.

http://www.curtbrownracing.com/ceramic_bearing_8.html  These guys retrofit them to cars,

We can convert ANY ball bearing wheelbearing/hub set up for any car, email me for custom quote

2000-2009 Honda S2000, $1600 to convert yours or $1799 for all four new units converted

2003-2006 Mitsubishi Evolutions:
$1500 four all four hubs on an exchange basis with a $200 refundable core charge.
OR.
$1950 shipped for four brand new hubs ready to bolt in.
"NEW" Low drag seal option $160, eliminates 90% of the factory seal drag, (drag race only) should not be used in snow or heavy rain conditions!

Porsche 911/Boxster/Caymen
$1800 for all four no cores required

$1600 for 90-94 DSM press in upgrade
2G DSM front special $850 for NEW hubs with ceramic upgrade

Nissan GTR
$2500 convert your hubs
$3650 four new OEM hubs converted

STI front only coversion of your hubs $950
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 12:28:09 am by blur911 »
Mr Pickypants

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 12:22:55 am »
Angular contact ball bearings, shown, are used a lot now and on this part come as an assembled sealed for life unit ready for bolting on to the vehicle. They are used on the front wheels also. I have never had a problem with them.

I've had to eventually replace wheel bearings on just about every vehicle I've owned.  I replaced one on my pickup last week.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 07:42:53 am »
  Yeah ok, I now remember having the rear bearings changed on an 89 Mercury Sable. They were totally worn out but the car was 8 years old and was used to tow a tent trailer...the tongue weight of which would have loaded the rear wheels more. Ceramic is a new one on me.