Author Topic: Day-by-Day Review: 2013 Buick Verano Turbo; Day 1  (Read 40362 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Day-by-Day Review: 2013 Buick Verano Turbo; Day 1
« on: February 06, 2013, 06:33:33 am »

The Buick Verano Turbo offers a long list of luxury features in a compact package, and a high-powered turbo-four paired with a manual transmission.
Read More...

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2013 Buick Verano Turbo; Day 1
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 06:58:23 am »
Looks great in that color too. Winger....just a 6 spd manual to be had or is there an slushie box as well?   ;)
Have Car......Will Travel

Offline Boff

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +12/-9
  • Swervedriver
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Ford Mustang GT 6MT (mine); 2016 BMW X1 (better half's)
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 07:34:08 am »
That's a handsome car, although I'd prefer it in black. This will be an interesting one to hear about...is it a better 3-series competitor than the Regal GS? How premium can a Cruze variant really be? Might actually follow James's twitter feed on this one.

Offline easyrider

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +11/-96
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 11 journey, 11 mazda 3
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 08:04:35 am »
GM hit the nail on the head with this one. No real competitors for it, ILX and Lexus IS250 are not even in the same ballpark.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 08:27:23 am »
A nice enough looking car but I prefer the looks of the Cruze which at that price is just as well. I think that the Cruze fits a better spot with a 2L engine.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 08:35:35 am »
Nice looking car although I find the 8K increase a bit much for the Turbo packaged model.
I'm a diehard RWD first AWD second and FWD dead last, so for me it simply does not compete with rwd models like the Bimmer or Benz.
I know it maybe quicker than some and have more features, but my viewpoint starts from the foundation first then I build upon that.
If GM I'd prefer an ATS model.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 08:49:50 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 08:40:27 am »
BOFFO.................................lads.........................
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 08:40:47 am »
fantastic small premium car. Best of the bunch. I don't know why this one is so expensive though, most Turbos go for under 34k. Take out the stupid navigation, the 1000 dollar white paint, the subtly different rims than the stock ones, and the idiotic cross traffic etc alerts, and you have a tidy sporty sedan for someone who wants to drive. I am selling lots of these, and to younger folk than the traditional Buick customer. This car is so different from the Cruze that a comparison is not really fair. It is also the quietest car I have ever been in for NVH, including Merc and Audi.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 08:44:44 am »
Nice looking car although I find the 8K increase a bit much for the Turbo packaged model.
I'm a diehard RWD first AWD second and FWD dead last, so for me it simply does not compete with rwd models like the Bimmer or small Benz.
I know it maybe quicker than some and have more features, but my viewpoint starts from the foundation first then I build upon that.
the 1ST includes all other packages you can get on the base Verano too. Similarly equipped with leather etc the turbo only asks about 1500 more IIRC

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 09:15:51 am »

The Buick Verano Turbo offers a long list of luxury features in a compact package, and a high-powered turbo-four paired with a manual transmission.
Read More...

Sure, it offers a long list of luxury features, but I have a problem with this statement:
"...With the market for smaller cars ever growing in Canada, the Verano makes perfect sense for those looking for a compact car with a ton of luxury features, and with a base starting price of just $22,895 the Verano certainly delivers on that promise..."

No, it doesn't. At the base level, let's what this luxury compact is missing (some of these must be mandatory on all cars, let alone luxury cars, IMHO), in the order they appear in the GM brochure

- bluetooth
- no auto climate control
- no fog lights
- no leather wrapped steering wheel or any bluetooth or audio controls
- no power driver seat
- no heated seats
- no heated mirrors

I would have a hard time calling that car luxury if it missed more than one of the features listed above.
AND in order to get any of those basics, one MUST select one ore more options groups that will easily get you into the $30's, and that, my friends, kills it.

A loaded Cruise makes a lot more sense.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 09:21:36 am »

Read More...

Sure, it offers a long list of luxury features, but I have a problem with this statement:
"...With the market for smaller cars ever growing in Canada, the Verano makes perfect sense for those looking for a compact car with a ton of luxury features, and with a base starting price of just $22,895 the Verano certainly delivers on that promise..."

No, it doesn't. At the base level, let's what this luxury compact is missing (some of these must be mandatory on all cars, let alone luxury cars, IMHO), in the order they appear in the GM brochure

- bluetooth
- no fog lights
- no power driver seat
- no heated seats
- no heated mirrors

I would have a hard time calling that car luxury if it missed more than one of the features listed above.
AND in order to get any of those basics, one MUST select one ore more options groups that will easily get you into the $30's, and that, my friends, kills it.

not if you want luxury. Yes option pkgs are needed, but what car has the base model with everything these days? Option pkgs are there to keep the base price down and you can kit what you want. Most base Verano with most if not all of those options go for 26-29k.Turbos have all of those features and most go for under 33 or 34k. A loaded Cruze is nice, nut it is not luxury. 

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 09:34:01 am »
not if you want luxury. Yes option pkgs are needed, but what car has the base model with everything these days? Option pkgs are there to keep the base price down and you can kit what you want. Most base Verano with most if not all of those options go for 26-29k.Turbos have all of those features and most go for under 33 or 34k. A loaded Cruze is nice, nut it is not luxury.

Let me rephrase your question - what luxury car has the base model with everything those basic features these days?

And the answer will be all(?) of them. Hence, the Verano is a $30k+ luxury car (if you want the basics), and the $22k base price means absolutely nothing. And that's my oly nitpick today. James used the basic price number and "delivers on the luxury promise" in one sentence which is misleading.

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 09:42:33 am »

- bluetooth
- no fog lights
- no power driver seat
- no heated seats
- no heated mirrors

[/quote]

+1.    I'm not a fan of the Buick signature grille and the rear is overstyled for my taste.  The Cruze has sportier lines and a more aggressive look, which I prefer.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 09:46:59 am »

Let me rephrase your question - what luxury car has the base model with everything those basic features these days?

And the answer will be all(?) of them. Hence, the Verano is a $30k+ luxury car (if you want the basics), and the $22k base price means absolutely nothing. And that's my oly nitpick today. James used the basic price number and "delivers on the luxury promise" in one sentence which is misleading.
ok I agree there. He used the base Verano price for a review of the Turbo. 6k difference there.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 09:52:00 am »
It's a good car but the interior quality doesn't match the "budget luxury" label. More budget than luxury. But I would love to test drive this turbo - I drove the Regal Turbo (non GS) and I wasn't hugely impressed.
Regal turbo is underpowered for its weight, need to go to GS. I have no idea why for the regal they didn't make the 270hp turbo the turbo model and give it the 320hp v6t from the new 9-5 Aero instead for the GS. Nothing a Trifecta flash can't fix though.

Also I have no idea what you are talking about re the interior. It is the best in its class, and it is certainly not budget. And as for the motor car combination, it is a hoot to drive. Regal GS power nearly in a car that is 500lbs lighter.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 10:07:47 am »
This car is a great offering and if you can get past the badge it's a class leader. Both this and the Acura ILX offer the buyer entry-level luxury in a tight little package and for what they are....they're good.

As for the nit-picking on standards, 60K BMWs and Mercs come standard with plastic seats. I call real leather a basic feature in a 50K-60K luxury car, don't you? Also, many other Luxury manufacturers don't offer HIDs as standard, forcing you to buy a luxury package of sorts. Really, packaging features is par for the course across the board. You seem to be focusing on it here because it's a GM vehicle.

That I agree with. The fundamental difference is, the base BMW and Merc already start in the luxury territory pricewise, so it's off limits for a regular mortal mainstream family sedan buyer. The base price for the Verano is in the compact territory and thus Buick tries to lure compact buyer into its brand with its "luxury" promise where in fact, there is nothing luxury about it, and the Cruise makes more sense at that price is would arguably be better equipped.

Makes sense?

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 10:18:56 am »
I would consider a car to be luxurious without that long list of sillyness as long as the other features were so.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 10:37:36 am »
Motortrend took the Verano Turbo over the ILX: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1210_2013_acura_ilx_vs_buick_verano_turbo/viewall.html

If you're going to argue missing luxury features, Motortrend pointed out that NAV is NOT available on the ILX 2.4.

Listen, there are lots of GM cars to hate on but I don't think this is one of them. Other than the Enclave, I think this is Buick's best car and it's a class leader.

You've missed the point again. I am not talking about the luxury features like the NAV. I am talking about BASIC features that must be standard in a luxury car, like heated seats and mirrors. I don't hate the car, I'm just saying that at the base price, it's not a luxury car by any stretch of imagination, and in fact doesn't offer any luxury features at all. Period. It needs to be brought up beyond the $30k mark to begin to resemble anything luxury but then it faces competition that will make its life much more difficult than the base price where luxury doesn't exist. Marketing trickery.

Buick will continue to insist that they offer their luxury car at a base price of $22k which is simply not true.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 10:47:43 am »
Facking stooopid fakeorama chrome vents excepted, this is a terrific little car.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 10:47:58 am »
I think in order to consider oneself a "luxury car",  heated leather, climate control, full function steering wheel, bluetooth has to be there. If you gotta spend an extra $10k to have all of those, maybe their tagline should be, Verano, starts at $22k, but if you want all the goodies, its gonna cost you well over $30K.
Lighten up Francis.....