Author Topic: Feature: Porsche's Camp4 Experience - Second Opinion  (Read 2611 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Feature: Porsche's Camp4 Experience - Second Opinion
« on: February 29, 2012, 04:02:22 am »

Developing car handling skills at the absolute extremes of poor traction can be a lot of fun.

Read More...

TagueVagn

Re: Feature: Porsche's Camp4 Experience - Second Opinion
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 10:21:18 am »
Last weekend I attended a rally-x event on a frozen lake just west of Edmonton.  For $60 you got to do about 6 timed laps of the track with 4 or 5 fun laps at the end.  I can think of no better way to understand how your car reacts in extreme winter conditions and encourage everyone to attend such an event.  I realize that there were no instructors but there were plenty of car enthusiasts there who would be more than willing to give a few helpful hints.  Unfortunately the average person isn't a car enthusiast and therefore couldn't care less about what they are supposed to do when their car starts to skid while travelling over 100km/h on the highway!

Offline cloud7

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 12:50:19 am »
Winter driver training should be mandatory in this country.  Everyone can learn something driving on ice.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 11:17:37 am »
$5000 for the Porsche course.  :o  Still, sounds like it would be an absolute blast. One day... :D

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 02:42:36 pm »
$5000 for the Porsche course.  :o  Still, sounds like it would be an absolute blast. One day... :D

$5k would go a long way towards purchasing an early 944 or a 914, which to me sounds like better value than driving nice cars in the snow for a weekend.
Mr Pickypants

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 05:08:40 pm »
I think the kind of people that pay for these courses can probably also afford a new 911 at home.

That said, the 944 Turbo is one of my favourites. I aspired to own one for a long time... might still try and do so, eventually.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 06:06:19 pm »
I think the kind of people that pay for these courses can probably also afford a new 911 at home.

Yup, aimed at another tax bracket altogether.

Offline SeaBlueS4

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +9/-8
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 S4, 2016 Forester XT, 1972 Triumph TR6
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 10:45:37 am »

$5k would go a long way towards purchasing an early 944 or a 914, which to me sounds like better value than driving nice cars in the snow for a weekend.

Exactly, would love to attend this, but not for $5k. I wonder what the cost to Porsche is for each person they send on their road show, probably not a lot less than $5k .... maybe they pay for some of the attendees to this one in a similar matter? But you're right, if you have a $150k car at home, $5k for a weekend away is likely no big deal.

I went on the Audi Winter driving Experience a few weeks ago. This was just a half day and cost $400. Not to the same level as the Porsche version of course, but still worthwhile I thought. I mainly went as they were using S4's so it was a good chance to see how my car would handle on snow & ice with and without the various traction / stability programs active, with some expert guidance and with no chance of damaging my own car.

Offline dbw

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 01:04:38 pm »
I think Porches has forgot about the guy who is stretching to buy an entry level boxster or booster S and that is sort of sad. I had a less than great dealer experience attempting to replace my older booster with a new one and ended up with the 370 Nissan for I am now greatful - $35k less and a good car. Though I did love the boxxster.

From a post above it seems Audio is on track, so to speak, with their course that fits in most budgets.....local audio dealer let me go out in an S4 one night in a snowstorm and I was really impressed.....one heck of a car and with some good training....

In Southern Ontario the is a school that teacher winter (and summer) driving at Mosport in your own car for less than $400/day and it is quality training. I stopped by last summer and vehicle ranged from humble family cars to Fareries(can't remember how to spell it). Worth checking out.