Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD  (Read 21934 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2013 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD
« on: June 15, 2012, 04:04:55 am »

'Light on its feet,' the Mazda CX-5 delivers uncommon driving enjoyment along with excellent fuel economy.

Read More...

Never Satisfied

Re: Test Drive: 2013 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 05:29:11 am »
I have been interested in this vehicle for quite some time, but after learning about the price difference between us and the US I am not much interested anymore.

Jump on the Mazda USA site and look at the differences. This GT AWD, including freight prices out at: $29,090. That's a 5,000 dollar difference for a car that was built in Japan and maybe even came over on the same boat. Sickened by such information.

No wonder you read about these guys picking up their new Mazda CX5 GT's on US car sites. They are affordable and that is why they are buying them.

Canada, the poor cousin. Garbage pricing by Mazda.

Mazda has lost my business until further notice.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 05:31:07 am by Never Satisfied »

Never Satisfied

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 05:49:29 am »

And, furthermore, the model that I was interested in is the GS model, or the Touring version in the States.

Including freight that prices out at: $24,690. In Canada the same vehicle is roughly $3000.00 more. I used a Seattle Zip code for my US location on the Mazda USA website.

So, it is not just the freight, it is the pricing of the vehicle as well where Canadians are at a disadvantage here.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 05:55:36 am »
CX-5 is made in Japan, so there is a 6% duty on it ::)

Offline Danno001

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +13/-45
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 08:36:27 am »
To add to the 6.1 % import duty, there is the costs of exchange rate (about 5% today) and transport from US and misc import fees. You would not be saving anything on the GS model.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 08:38:18 am »

Well, at least you're living up to your username.

Mazda prices its cars in Canada against the competition, not against what you can buy them for in the U.S. And it's not as if Mazda is in the minority when it comes to pricing disparity.

Never Satisfied

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 08:48:32 am »
CX-5 is made in Japan, so there is a 6% duty on it ::)

Of course, I thought the exchange rate might have something to do with it. But, 6% plus the US price does not add up to the 3 thousand more that Canadians have to pay. ($ 24,690 - cost of GS or Touring on the road ). Other factors involved obviously.

I don't care what the other factors are I am not happy with this situation at all. I bought a new Mazda Miata in 2007 only because it was 5000 dollars off what they used to be. So, I am expecting the same kind of prices with these Mazda products now.

Mazda pricing. Don't forget to add the freight as well.

http://mazda.ca/MciWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=modelsPricing&vehicleCode=CX5

$ 28045 ( plus freight of $1895 ) for a GS model just seems like too much money. Especially after having viewed the US prices you feel like a sucker if you buy. I mean, dealing with car dealers is bad enough, but why add insult to injury? :'(
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 09:23:10 am by Never Satisfied »

Never Satisfied

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 08:53:26 am »

And, speaking of insult to injury why does the freight charges have to be a thousand dollars more than for the same US vehicle? What's that all about?

Never Satisfied

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 09:06:37 am »

And, finally, if we eliminated the 6% duty maybe our domestics would build a better car. If they are doing that already then what is the point of the duty?

Mazda prices its cars in Canada against the competition, not against what you can buy them for in the U.S. And it's not as if Mazda is in the minority when it comes to pricing disparity.

I agree with Oliver above that Mazda has to compete with its local competition on price. And, that is why everything that I am interested in cost the same price whether it be a Honda, Hyundai, or Ford. Same kind of price for the same kind of goodies. But isn't the Honda CRV made in Canada? If this is the case then shouldn't Hondas be 3 to 5,000 dollars cheaper?  Are we being gouged by Honda Canada - in the extreme?

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 09:12:08 am »

And, speaking of insult to injury why does the freight charges have to be a thousand dollars more than for the same US vehicle? What's that all about?

I agree that's pretty strange. I do think there should be federal legislation regarding the advertised prices of cars (and other products). Instead of seeing:

Price of car: $24999
Freight: $1495
Admin Fees: $399

We should just see:

Price of car: $26893

Would make comparison shopping easier, and it would keep dealers from advertising prices that just happen to exclude about $1k in fees. Never mind those prices where the fine print reads "with $3000 trade".

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 09:29:46 am »
"It feels more manoeuvrable and more agile than a RAV4, Escape, Equinox, or Outlander..."

Interesting...I recall reading somewhere in a slalom test of SUVs that the Outlander with S-AWC was second only to the X5w/M package for speed and G's pulled. The CX-5 sounds like quite the runabout!

Never Satisfied

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 09:33:08 am »
I made an error above on the Canadian prices for the GS version of the CX 5. ( I have since corrected that error ) It is actually more than I quoted. Here is the Mazda pricing schedule again:

http://mazda.ca/MciWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=modelsPricing&vehicleCode=CX5

Also, in response to OliverD above things could indeed be clearer as regards consumer pricing.

Toyota is on the right track by having their document fees included in the price. This is quite a little shock in its own right this doc fee business. Dealers are all over the map with this. I bought a Ford once and the doc fee was 500 dollars. I complained of course. Mazda doc fees were reasonable I recall. But, I visited a GM dealership recently and a lady pulled me aside ( a fellow shopper ) and told me that they wanted 750 dollars for their document fee. I was not overly shocked given what I know what Ford can charge for such a fee. So I told her that these prices are all over the map and are negotiable.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 09:35:26 am by Never Satisfied »

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 11:19:54 am »
I have seen a lot of these around recently.

I'm surprised that its wheelbase is longer than CR-V; its lower height must be doing tricks to my eyes.

Love the 40/20/40 split rear seats so you can fit long items AND sit four people.

That interior looks somewhat Audi-esque to me, which is a good thing :)

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 11:33:35 am »

I agree that's pretty strange. I do think there should be federal legislation regarding the advertised prices of cars (and other products). Instead of seeing:

We should just see:

Would make comparison shopping easier, and it would keep dealers from advertising prices that just happen to exclude about $1k in fees. Never mind those prices where the fine print reads "with $3000 trade".

it's legislation in Ontario now, only HST should be added to prices advertised.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 11:44:26 am »

not that I disagree, but how do you explain the freight charges for a Ford, Chev, Toyota, Honda, etc that is built in Canada.  For example Equinox - $1495, CRV - $1640 both built in Ontario vs Sportage shipping all the way from Korea at $1650?
Built in the US and shipped to Canada - Escape - $1500, Sorento - $1650.

You are certainly living up to your user name  ;D

Offline cruzzer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 11:54:00 am »
Looks and sounds like a contender in the small SUV category. In the gallery photos of the base 6 speed manual FWD GX doesn't look like a stripped down vehicle. I agree with 'Never Satisfied's' aversion to the ever increasing 'Freight' charges. A good chunk of the 'Freight and PDE' charges in Canada might more accurately be labelled 'Freight and Additional Dealer Profit'. Also, many have said the exchange rate is cause for some of the price difference, which is no doubt partially true, but remember the Canadian dollar has been higher than the US one for what, about two years? Only recently has it slipped to 0.97 and today is 0.977. At most we should be paying hundreds more, not thousands. I'd sure like to see the pricing differential tightened up a lot more than it is.

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Nissan Sentra (AKA The Toaster)
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2012, 12:19:26 pm »

And, finally, if we eliminated the 6% duty maybe our domestics would build a better car. If they are doing that already then what is the point of the duty?

I agree with Oliver above that Mazda has to compete with its local competition on price. And, that is why everything that I am interested in cost the same price whether it be a Honda, Hyundai, or Ford. Same kind of price for the same kind of goodies. But isn't the Honda CRV made in Canada? If this is the case then shouldn't Hondas be 3 to 5,000 dollars cheaper?  Are we being gouged by Honda Canada - in the extreme?

So I assume you have gone to the US and bought your cars there since they are cheaper? If not you are simply encouraging the behaviour you complain about. This is NOT going to change. They can charge what they want. If its too expensive go buy it where its less expensive (in the US).

I hope they hurry up and put more power in this vehicle. I'm not a CUV person but this is much closer to what I want out of a car than most CUVs. If it handels and gets mileage like a car but gives me the extra space it sounds great.

Offline hopsoid

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2012, 12:37:56 pm »

We should just see:

it's legislation in Ontario now, only HST should be added to prices advertised.

And in Quebec too I think; but auto magazines/websites just keep separating the fees;

Never Satisfied

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 02:18:57 pm »

not that I disagree, but how do you explain the freight charges for a Ford, Chev, Toyota, Honda, etc that is built in Canada.  For example Equinox - $1495, CRV - $1640 both built in Ontario vs Sportage shipping all the way from Korea at $1650?
Built in the US and shipped to Canada - Escape - $1500, Sorento - $1650.

You are certainly living up to your user name  ;D

Good added information. There does not appear to any rhyme or reason for any of this stuff. Perhaps just different way for dealers to make a profit without anybody really questioning what is going on. If a government can add in a duties fee then I am allowed to complain if that protection fee affects me negatively. I don't live in Ontario and I don't work in an auto plant.  Does my point about the CRV make any sense then? Built in Canada yet charging the same kinds of prices as those who have to work harder to get their car on the vehicle - like our Mazda CX 5 here.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 02:31:18 pm »
There does not appear to any rhyme or reason for any of this stuff.

This is obviously the price the market will accept because they are selling. If you don't like the CDN price, go to the USA and buy one at their 'cheaper' price. Its simple.

As long as people continue to pay the price that is asked, it won't change.