Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 BMW 328i Modern  (Read 7372 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2012 BMW 328i Modern
« on: June 11, 2012, 04:04:03 am »

What looks and drives like a BMW, but doesn't always feel like one? The new 3 Series, says Chris Chase.

Read More...

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2012 BMW 328i Modern
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 06:27:59 am »
5.3 on the highway is spectacular and almost diesel-like for this kind of car.  No doubt the 1200rpm at 100km/hr (a record here??) is largely responsible.

Too bad Chris wasn't able to take a long drive on the highway to get a real world number.

6 cylinder engines might be BMW's calling card in North America but they make a huge number of 4s for other markets.  We are just catching up.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 06:33:40 am »
If they really wanted to catch up they'd bring over the 1 series 4 door hatch in both 4 cyl gas and diesel.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 09:48:58 am »
If they really wanted to catch up they'd bring over the 1 series 4 door hatch in both 4 cyl gas and diesel.

The current 1-series is being replaced in a couple of years with a FWD platform shared with mini.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline bluelines

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 10:54:09 am »
choose Sport mode, and enjoy firmer suspension settings

This claim was also made in the earlier review of the Luxury model. The Canadian 3 series models do not come with adaptive damping even as an option; it was available in the US but does not show on their online configurator any more. You can special order the adaptive dampers with a $400 fee (plus the cost of the option itself, which I'm sure is v. expensive in Canada), but I think only on the 335i, not the 328i. There is no change to the suspension when you select "Sport" or "Comfort". Sorry to be picky, but many people on the forums, etc., have expressed frustration about the absence of this option in Canada.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 11:01:52 am »
Interesting review. Not to nitpick, Chris, but I believe Audi only started offering the 1.8T 4-cyl. engine in the '98 model year, not '96. And I'm sure you knew that BMW has continually offered 4-cylinder engines in their cars since the 1980's and right on through the 2000's - if only overseas - and not just up until the 1990's as you wrote.

I agree it's disappointing to hear about the apparent downmarket turn the interior fit and finish have taken - it may be cost-effective for BMW, but they may be squandering part of their reputation in the process.

I wonder how much the 320i will  cost, and how easy will it be to chip it to get it to 328i levels of performance? With a chip from a reputable company, it could be a great value and the one to get, IMHO.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 11:43:08 am »

This claim was also made in the earlier review of the Luxury model. The Canadian 3 series models do not come with adaptive damping even as an option; it was available in the US but does not show on their online configurator any more. You can special order the adaptive dampers with a $400 fee (plus the cost of the option itself, which I'm sure is v. expensive in Canada), but I think only on the 335i, not the 328i. There is no change to the suspension when you select "Sport" or "Comfort". Sorry to be picky, but many people on the forums, etc., have expressed frustration about the absence of this option in Canada.

Whether it's adaptive damping or not, when I switched to sport mode, the ride got firmer. It was a definite difference.
I used to work here.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 11:48:35 am »
Interesting review. Not to nitpick, Chris, but I believe Audi only started offering the 1.8T 4-cyl. engine in the '98 model year, not '96. And I'm sure you knew that BMW has continually offered 4-cylinder engines in their cars since the 1980's and right on through the 2000's - if only overseas - and not just up until the 1990's as you wrote.

I have a copy of the 1997 Carguide buyer's guide that suggests the '97 A4 was the first with the 1.8T, so either way, I was mistaken there. Thanks for pointing it out.

I know of BMW's four-cylinder motors overseas. It was implied (though, I admit, not very clearly) that I was writing about BMW's Canadian models.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 11:54:33 am »

I have a copy of the 1997 Carguide buyer's guide that suggests the '97 A4 was the first with the 1.8T, so either way, I was mistaken there. Thanks for pointing it out.

I know of BMW's four-cylinder motors overseas. It was implied (though, I admit, not very clearly) that I was writing about BMW's Canadian models.

Thanks Chris - right, I guess we were both wrong about the year :)

and re: the 4-cyl years, yeah, i should have figured you meant within Canada. 

Offline bluelines

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 12:03:43 pm »
It's likely you experienced the sharper steering and that translated to the car feeling more planted. There is 100% no change in the suspension stiffness (or lack thereof) when you play with the Sport / Comfort / Eco Pro settings.

Whether it's adaptive damping or not, when I switched to sport mode, the ride got firmer. It was a definite difference.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 12:20:14 pm »
I'd have to agree with the comments about the interior. From the look of the photos it's a bit of a step down from what's in our '11.

While I like the idea of more power I had occasion to floor our 2011 328 on an uphill onramp this morning from a standing start. Hit the merge lane @ about 125,still pulling hard, and it sounded great!  ;D

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 12:23:18 pm »

The current 1-series is being replaced in a couple of years with a FWD platform shared with mini.

Too bad, I really liked the looks of the 116's and 118's I saw in Bermuda last year.

Offline vols1

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-18
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 12:40:35 pm »
Nice review. Hopefully the 4 turbo will be reliable but only time will tell. Seriously considering a 3 series. Not to divert the topic too much but I had a 97 Audi A4. It was a mechanic's dream and a disaster mechanically despite all the accolades from the auto journalists at the time.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 12:50:35 pm »
It's likely you experienced the sharper steering and that translated to the car feeling more planted. There is 100% no change in the suspension stiffness (or lack thereof) when you play with the Sport / Comfort / Eco Pro settings.

This is what BMW's consumer site says on the matter:

"Sports mode is activated using the Driving Experience Control fitted as standard in the central console. Through a predefined setup and according to the equipment selected, it results in a considerably more sporting adjustment of the drive and suspension – compared with the standard settings. The engine responds more spontaneously. In combination with the automatic transmission, shift points have considerably more sporting character. If variable sports steering is chosen, the assistance from power steering is reduced, which ensures a more direct feeling of steering control."

Marketing speak, all of it, but it certainly implies that sport mode does something to the suspension itself, and not just the steering.

I've got a call into BMW Canada for clarification, so I'll post back here when I've received an answer from them.

Offline bluelines

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 01:23:39 pm »
Yea, the website is "weasel words"... The catch is "according to the equipment selected", which means you need the adaptive damping option to be added for it to have any impact.

This is what BMW's consumer site says on the matter:

"Sports mode is activated using the Driving Experience Control fitted as standard in the central console. Through a predefined setup and according to the equipment selected, it results in a considerably more sporting adjustment of the drive and suspension – compared with the standard settings. The engine responds more spontaneously. In combination with the automatic transmission, shift points have considerably more sporting character. If variable sports steering is chosen, the assistance from power steering is reduced, which ensures a more direct feeling of steering control."

Marketing speak, all of it, but it certainly implies that sport mode does something to the suspension itself, and not just the steering.

I've got a call into BMW Canada for clarification, so I'll post back here when I've received an answer from them.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 01:32:11 pm »
So. I sit corrected. This is what I got back from BMW Canada:

"In reference to your inquiry regarding the functionality of the “Drive Experience Switch” (which we used to call Dynamic Drive Control), the switch controls:

·         Throttle/engine response (more immediate in the Sport modes)

·         Steering response (more direct in the Sport modes)

·         Shift timing when equipped with automatic transmission – shifting points earlier and crisper and “sportier” in the Sport modes)

·         DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) threshold, only in the Sport+mode (in which case the DSC is automatically dialed back somewhat to what we refer to as Dynamic Traction Control, allowing a certain degree of reduced traction at the rear wheels for “sportier” driving). The DSC can, of course, be switched off entirely with the DSC swath positioned above the Drive Experience Switch.

Current 3 Series models are not offered with Adaptive Sport Suspension, however, if and when they are, the Drive Experience Switch (or Dynamic Drive Control) would also influence suspension settings, with the electronically controlled dampers providing firmer control and response in the “Sport” settings."

Now I wish I could get that car back to confirm whether I am indeed crazy. I *swear* the car rode more firmly in sport mode.  :-\

vdk

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 02:06:08 pm »
The mind is playing tricks on you because you expect the little button to firm up the suspension. I had the same sensation in a new 1 series w/o adaptive dampening.

My question is, can you feel when the engine restarts? Is it a smooth process? At least in the 1 series I drove it was coarse. 

Offline Soram6275

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +11/-31
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 VW CC
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 02:13:03 pm »
There's only one 'real' naturally aspirated 6-cyl 3 series with the 'older but better' interior left and that would be the coupe, which is not conducive to buyers with families and those that need the rear doors.   I would go for the coupe anyway, but even this may not be available with a non-turbo 6-cyl in three years when I am in the market for a new car.  Too bad.  The only viable manual  German oprion left now may be the A4.  I'm really gonna miss the classic 6-cyl Bimmer.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 02:45:41 pm »
My question is, can you feel when the engine restarts? Is it a smooth process? At least in the 1 series I drove it was coarse.

Big-time coarse. There's nothing transparent about it, hence the bit in the article about how everyone who rode in the car wondered why it kept "stalling" at stoplights. Auto start/stop is fantastic in theory, and in an economy/family car, the 3 Series' system would be fine. It feels out of place in the 3er, though, especially at the price my tester was optioned up to. I'm sure BMW's engineers will find ways to refine the system, but for now, well, yeesh.

Offline tinnemeneer

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +12/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 03:52:15 am »
I'm a big BMW fan and drive one myself but I'm wondering how many 3 series reviews are necessary. The 3 series is quite possibly my next choice as I find the new 5 and 6 to large for most European roads but I really don't see why one car needs so much attention.

Another thing is that all BMW fan boys are so inline-6 happy and having driven one (E39 530i) I have to agree it's a nice, very smooth engine but not really that much better then the 2.5L V6 from my Dodge Stratus, except from the obvious increase in engine size. The automatic gearbox was the real treat of the E39 imho where it was a pain in the Dodge. I wasn't even that impressed by the engine sound although it was nice.
I'm sure a lot of people will take offense but these are my 2 euro cents and they're still worth more than CAD cents. :)