Author Topic: First Drive: 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth Automatic  (Read 10471 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth Automatic
« on: July 23, 2014, 06:28:11 am »

The new-for-2015 automatic Abarth models have more gears and more torque, but are they more fun?

Read More...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Re: First Drive: 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth Automatic
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 07:04:44 am »
I understand the need for a broader appeal to the suburban housewife / automatic only hipster, but this car should only come with a manual. Done.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline paul246

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 07:36:54 am »
My wife, who is very competent using a standard, considered the 500.

That is until she read through a lot of owner reviews that listed all the things that go wrong with these cars.

Yes, they may be cute, fun and relatively inexpensive, but reliability and build quality still count, at least for my wife.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 08:57:33 am »
What next a Gucci Edition.....?

Crazy!!
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Re: First Drive: 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth Automatic
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 08:58:43 am »
I understand the need for a broader appeal to the suburban housewife / automatic only hipster, but this car should only come with a manual. Done.

While I agree, you will get torn apart by the hipster types on here for that opinion ;D

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 09:09:47 am »
   I think that the 'T' model is easily the best option here for the automatic Turbo. Probably missed the boat now with the confusion of other models. I can't see the populous need for the Abarth level of power...sure a few individuals. The more genteel 'T' though, I think would have been the big seller version here...with the automatic and the included stronger drive components. The milder (presumably softer) suspension 'in situ' might also be a bonus over 'harder'; with less room for seat cushion in a small car. This model might have been called the 'Sport' and would have been better understood here, possibly.
   I still think that the base level automatic non-turbo has plenty of power for driving here and 'dual clutch' gismos are not well understood yet by most folk...including me. I guess the 'T' model appealed to me and come to think of it I suspect that most are in a 'mid level' choice grouping for engine power, as in most things. Too late for me.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 09:51:03 am »
The 500T is also getting an auto.  I don't mind having auto options on these cars.  The initial decision not to have it was pretty odd considering overseas markets all had auto options. 

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 09:56:36 am »
I think you miss the point here, entirely, or you simply are too firm on your position.  Throughout, Mark wrote about his yearning for the manual, how it remains the better transmission, and how the addition (note, addition, not substitution/deletion) opens the appeal of this car such that Chryfi will make more money and continue to develop the car.  This is a good thing, and Mark, I applaud you for an excellent bit of writing here - ya'll know my dislike for any product Chryfi, but moreso for the 500 and its limited outward visibility at the B-pillar (more on that in a second).  Where I find Mark has done such a stellar job, here, is that I read it.  I actually read the entire article.  You kept someone, who gives nary a rat's as$ about this car, interested in reading about it.   :cheers:

MUCH BETTER, Chryfi!  That's a pretty readable dash, right there, and far better than the clusterf*ck on the base 500, though that 'eco' index seems like it might be a bit distracting.

Also, Mark, good on you for spelling out, first, that 70% of buyers of this car are women - it paved the way for feminists to not be angry with you.  I mean, they still will be angry because let's face it, they're always angry...but you were justified in your analysis.  ...except the Heel part - that's not really backed up with statistics.

I'm surprised nobody has, as of yet, gawked at the as-tested price for a diminutive vehicle.  I also think that most do not want the side of their vehicle to say "Abarth".  Most women will think that sounds rather...not feminine, no?  ...especially considering it's named after a male racer.  Me thinks that blanging out the side with that sort of paint job should be optional (and if it is, good).

...and GTI as a competitor?  Is you fo serious?  Well, shyeet.

Northernridge

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 11:50:21 am »
High performance automatics are a fact of life. I no longer think of it as right/wrong or good/bad, just different. And a matter of personal preference.

It's a commerce and consumer driven world boys and girls...and it's in D for drive.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 12:26:07 pm »
Yikes.....I would never drive this with an auto. Its borderline underpowered as it is and an auto would be like adding 500 lbs in weight. Imagine trying to pass with a slush box  :o

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 12:36:57 pm »
Yikes.....I would never drive this with an auto. Its borderline underpowered as it is and an auto would be like adding 500 lbs in weight. Imagine trying to pass with a slush box  :o

How do people with auto 500 non turbos pass if they have 60 less hp?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 01:19:40 pm »

...slowly, I'd imagine.

I rented several base model 500s with the autobox.  It was slow, but not as bad as a Mirage, Spark, etc.

I would think that a small displacement turbo, however, would be better matched to a manual for the purpose of power usability.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 01:24:08 pm »

Clutch religious symbols tightly in hand, utter bible passages, close eyes and pray for the gap......

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 01:53:14 pm »

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 02:01:36 pm »
as some of you know, my wife decided she had to have this car and got once in December.
yes, the purchase was all about a cute, retro, awesome looking car.  There was NOTHING I could say about reliability issues or anything else that would have changed her mind.

She doesn't drive manual.  Now since I knew this was the car she was getting, if the Abarth was available at the time, I might have been able to push her into that model (as long as the same colour combo was the same)  While obviously not as fun as driving a proper manual, it would at least have made my moments driving that car a little more fun!

The car is pretty sluggish off the gate but get past 40km/h and it gets up to highway speed not much different than my Matrix.  You've gotta mash that pedal but it does get there. 

In terms of reliability, we're at 8 months of ownership with almost 12,000K and no issues up to date.

Offline naydek

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Veloster Turbo, 2015 Santa Fe XL
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 02:56:04 pm »

...slowly, I'd imagine.

I rented several base model 500s with the autobox.  It was slow, but not as bad as a Mirage, Spark, etc.

I would think that a small displacement turbo, however, would be better matched to a manual for the purpose of power usability.

I drove a euro model with a 1.2L N/A engine and it was adequate. It's all a matter of perception I guess...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 03:01:47 pm »

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 03:02:30 pm »
The car is pretty sluggish off the gate

Yeah, the 500 is without a doubt the slowest car off the line of anything i've ever driven. 
The Crosstrek feels like a rocketship in comparison. 

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 03:44:20 pm »

Why, I ask you, should it ONLY come with a manual? Most performance-oriented male buyers would never consider buying an Abarth (even with the manual) with their own money. And I have no problem making a performance hatchback more accessible to a large subset of the purchasing public when I am not losing out on anything personally.

I think you miss the point here, entirely, or you simply are too firm on your position.  Throughout, Mark wrote about his yearning for the manual, how it remains the better transmission, and how the addition (note, addition, not substitution/deletion) opens the appeal of this car such that Chryfi will make more money and continue to develop the car.  This is a good thing, and Mark, I applaud you for an excellent bit of writing here - ya'll know my dislike for any product Chryfi, but moreso for the 500 and its limited outward visibility at the B-pillar (more on that in a second).  Where I find Mark has done such a stellar job, here, is that I read it.  I actually read the entire article.  You kept someone, who gives nary a rat's as$ about this car, interested in reading about it.   :cheers:

Also, Mark, good on you for spelling out, first, that 70% of buyers of this car are women - it paved the way for feminists to not be angry with you.  I mean, they still will be angry because let's face it, they're always angry...but you were justified in your analysis.  ...except the Heel part - that's not really backed up with statistics.

I'm surprised nobody has, as of yet, gawked at the as-tested price for a diminutive vehicle.  I also think that most do not want the side of their vehicle to say "Abarth".  Most women will think that sounds rather...not feminine, no?  ...especially considering it's named after a male racer.  Me thinks that blanging out the side with that sort of paint job should be optional (and if it is, good).

...and GTI as a competitor?  Is you fo serious?  Well, shyeet.

Thanks for your vote!

I want to address three things...

1) Heels and clutch pedals don't mix. I don't mean heels as a metaphor for women, but in the literal sense. It's hard to drive manual with some of the tall pumps ladies (and maybe some gents, I don't judge) wear all in the name of fashion.

2) While you may balk at the high price, this is actually something the Fiat 500 has going for it and why the automatic was introduced. Buyers getting the automatic aren't really looking for a performance car, they want the most expensive fashion accessory they can buy so they feel the nice, warm, glowing feeling of owning a "luxury" item.

3) 3-door GTI w/ DSG would definitely compete with the 500 Abarth with the automatic. I could easily see someone who is fashion conscious cross-shopping the two.

The Abarth or normal 500? Because the Abarth has plenty of power for its weight and size. Also, the heaviest of all Cinquecentos, the 500e, is the most rewarding of them all even though it has a boat load more weight. Due to all that weight low down in the vehicle, it feels more stable around corners. Kinda neat and wish they sold it here.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 03:59:20 pm »
Why, I ask you, should it ONLY come with a manual? Most performance-oriented male buyers would never consider buying an Abarth (even with the manual) with their own money. And I have no problem making a performance hatchback more accessible to a large subset of the purchasing public when I am not losing out on anything personally.

it is like the Fiesta ST. It is a proper hot hatch. It should be driven with a manual in a manner that is borderline uncouth. Fiesta ST doesn't come with an automatic...

Perhaps I am a little harsh, I guess diversification is good, and the option is there. It is an option that should not be ticked, however.