Author Topic: Day-by-Day Review: 2012 Dodge Journey R/T; Day 1  (Read 11445 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Day-by-Day Review: 2012 Dodge Journey R/T; Day 1
« on: April 18, 2012, 04:06:17 am »

James hops into a 2012 Dodge Journey to see how much this best-selling crossover has improved since its introduction in 2009.
Read More...

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2012 Dodge Journey R/T; Day 1
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 04:46:16 am »
What CR had to say....

"The Journey was a mediocre performer when we last tested it in 2008, and a new engine and interior appointments haven't helped much. It rides well and is quiet, but that's about all. It suffers from a lack of agility, lousy fuel economy, a reluctant transmission, and a tiny third-row seat. Our top-of-the-line Journey Lux's high price makes it a poor value anywhere outside a rental lot."

Relatively cheap?...maybe

"Tons of value"....I'm not so sure

In the "Would you buy this vehicle again?" portion of the CR owner satisfaction survey the AWD and FWD versions of the Journey placed 31st and 32nd out respectively of 32 vehicles in the segment.

It's best selling status would seem to speak more to the power of price incentives and 0% financing rather than quality or long term value.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 05:08:59 am by sailor723 »
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 08:58:10 am »
What CR had to say....

"The Journey was a mediocre performer when we last tested it in 2008, and a new engine and interior appointments haven't helped much. It rides well and is quiet, but that's about all. It suffers from a lack of agility, lousy fuel economy, a reluctant transmission, and a tiny third-row seat. Our top-of-the-line Journey Lux's high price makes it a poor value anywhere outside a rental lot."

Relatively cheap?...maybe

"Tons of value"....I'm not so sure

In the "Would you buy this vehicle again?" portion of the CR owner satisfaction survey the AWD and FWD versions of the Journey placed 31st and 32nd out respectively of 32 vehicles in the segment.

It's best selling status would seem to speak more to the power of price incentives and 0% financing rather than quality or long term value.

Yea I've heard this and other conflicting blogs....another said since the major interior/engine/tranny updo this changes everything.
Will keep my eyes here to see Winger put it through it's paces.....at a lesser speed one would hope eh......     ;)
Have Car......Will Travel

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 09:08:23 am »
A Prius V last week, a Journey this week?  Slow down there James!  What's next, a 4-cylinder Sienna?  :rofl2:

Offline dutch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 GMC Acadia, 2015 Toyota Corolla S
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 09:26:17 am »
In our search to replace the van we drove an RT basically the same as your tester (same colour even). I like the look of the interior, definitely an upgrade over the older Journey's. That said, we took it off our list as it "felt cheap". Even with leather interior, etc. I just felt like I was in an econobox.

The V6 had enough power, and the transmission shifted nicely, but the overall ride left us underwhelmed. Nice enough, but not $30k+ nice enough.

Am trying the Edge and Murano on Thursday, will see how we make out with those.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 09:32:49 am »
It's actually pretty nice looking, especially with the bigger wheels on the R/T.  The interior is a huge improvement over the previous one, which wasn't hard.
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 12:08:26 pm »
Looks like a vast improvement over the previous model, but it is also in loaded trim - most vehicles feel 'premium' when equipped with nav, leather, etc. From what I can see in the pictures, the seating flexibility (fold-flat seats) and passenger features have been well thought out for families, but the competition is also really quite good.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 12:22:38 pm »
In our search to replace the van we drove an RT basically the same as your tester (same colour even).....

Nice enough, but not $30k+ nice enough.

They didn't offer any discounts to keep you from walking out the door!?!

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 01:58:26 pm »
In our search to replace the van we drove an RT basically the same as your tester (same colour even).....

If they move a lot of these ("best-seller"), they may not be willing to give a lot of incentives.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 04:04:35 pm »
A Prius V last week, a Journey this week?  Slow down there James!  What's next, a 4-cylinder Sienna?  :rofl2:

Actually his next car has 429 horsepower  ;D
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 04:33:21 pm »
A lady at work just bought one of these used, a 2011. Not bad looking on the outside, hers is the R/T model, so when it comes to change those 19or 20 inch tires shes going to be mighty unhappy. The interior......ahem.....wow, is chrysler even trying anymore. The look overall wasnt terrible, but Ive never felt such cheap plastics or sat on seats that felt more uncomfortable. She says she doesnt love the car as much as her old Grand Cherokee but it was dirt cheap, AWD and gets better gas mileage than her old GC with the 4.7V8......I wouldnt have given up on the Jeep to drive this thing....but thats just me.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 04:35:02 pm »

Damn, I wanna drive that one!
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

TheKnownSpace

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 05:01:17 pm »
Close friend of mine has pretty much the exact same vehicle as the tester (i think i've mentioned it before in a previous thread)

I just want to start by saying that i cannot begin to explain the improvment in interior materials and how said materials are bolted together. From sitting in journeys at auto shows in 2008 compared to this refreshed one, it makes the former seem like it could have been built beside dodge colts and plymouth reliants. Only complaints i have about it from the passenger perspective is that the infotainments system, although better than 1st gen MyFordTouch, is still relatively sluggish in it's performance and the screen itself, awashed in all that red just looks plain ugly. Also the front seats were clearly designed for huge fat people and are not terribly supportive for thinner frames.

I've never actually driven my friend's journey (or any for that matter) so i can't comment on dynamics, but the pentastar sounds great, and i 283 hp is more than any buyer for this type of vehicle will ever need i would imagine

Dressed up in the R/T trim (lol at the fact we have R/T branded crossovers now) i will admit to liking the journey's chunky style (if not adoring it) compared with the softer, rounded tones of some competitors edge/Murano/Santa Fe. The thing i dont get about the exterior (and it's probably only for the R/T trim) is some elements of styling confusion: the grille, exhaust ports, rear roof spoiler and wheels all say "urban cruiser type crossover", but then the roof rack, ride height, and front bumper swathed in black plastic with satin silver chin spoiler say "cottage carrier". Why not just do an "adventure package" (like they did in the older durango) for the outdoorsy people, and then keep the chrome and ground effects for the R/T? just a thought

Offline dutch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 GMC Acadia, 2015 Toyota Corolla S
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 09:44:47 pm »

Never got to that point. We drove the truck, we're not impressed to go further and left. I'm sure they have some good programs on them, but you have to want it as well.

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 11:01:18 pm »
Hey James, my major complaint sitting in a Journey a couple of years ago was a very narrow foot well for the driver. The much smaller Patriot actually had more foot and legroom up front (compared both at the Auto show). Did you notice if they've addressed this at all ?
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 01:03:36 pm »

Actually, I would love to read on that one!  Mainly: any gains in city mpg vs the V-6?  The numbers don't say much in favour of the 4, except that the slighly decontented LE-4 cylinder is 4k$ cheaper than the LE-V6, or 1k$ cheaper than the stripper base V-6 model.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 10:13:12 pm »
Hey James, my major complaint sitting in a Journey a couple of years ago was a very narrow foot well for the driver. The much smaller Patriot actually had more foot and legroom up front (compared both at the Auto show). Did you notice if they've addressed this at all ?

It doesn't seem to be abnormally narrow.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 09:42:27 am »

Genesis R Spec???

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 10:31:32 am »

Genesis R Spec???

You got it.

nsmyhte

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2012, 01:14:20 pm »
Sounds pretty bad to drive.  Numb steering (I don't want that in any vehicle), tranny that upshifts too early and reluctant to downshift, and bad visibilty.  Not to mention bad interior packaging with a tiny 3rd row and zero cargo space with the 3rd row in use.