Author Topic: Northern Exposure: Car vs. Moose  (Read 13092 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Northern Exposure: Car vs. Moose
« on: April 19, 2013, 06:27:20 am »

Some advice on how to not have a close encounter of the cloven-hoofed variety on your travels this spring.

Read More...

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: Northern Exposure: Car vs. Moose
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 07:16:25 am »
I don't know about Ontario but here in NB the government has spent a bunch of money in recent years on many kilometers wildlife fencing (and animal underpasses ) in known "moose areas"  I believe the collision stats show it has been of significant help.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 07:35:42 am »
Northern Ontario rule of moose encounters: Don't brake, accelerate.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 08:06:28 am »
Will it work on this GRANNY X'ING

With our aging population and the fact that most of us don't live in big animal country, I'm more worried about granny and company than a moose.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 09:15:37 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 08:38:51 am »
car loses.

but i suppose moose out in the wilderness is a great reason for infra-red camera/night vision/heat sensors on vehicles.     why isn't the S-class's nightvision a standard equipment on 20k cars already?   ;) ;D

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Northernridge

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 11:43:39 am »
I've driven the Winnipeg-Thunder Bay route many times and occasionally at night...always a little white knuckled thinking about black moose against black night along the highway.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 12:04:32 pm »
I've driven the Winnipeg-Thunder Bay route many times and occasionally at night...always a little white knuckled thinking about black moose against black night along the highway.

:iagree: Highway 17 between Upsala and Dryden probably has more moose per hectare than anywhere on the planet.  Guys I know who lived in Ignace would shoot them from their cabs in hunting season and winch them to the road  :shake:

Northernridge

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 12:23:42 pm »

:iagree: Highway 17 between Upsala and Dryden probably has more moose per hectare than anywhere on the planet.  Guys I know who lived in Ignace would shoot them from their cabs in hunting season and winch them to the road  :shake:

Interesting. One of our old moose hunting grounds is a little northeast of Upsula where we typically see numerous moose over the week or so of hunting...hard to get bull tags there though...have watched many just walk away. We've also hunted for years north of Nipigon where we see far fewer moose.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 01:05:13 pm »

Interesting. One of our old moose hunting grounds is a little northeast of Upsula where we typically see numerous moose over the week or so of hunting...hard to get bull tags there though...have watched many just walk away. We've also hunted for years north of Nipigon where we see far fewer moose.

Ever fish Lac Seul?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 02:39:51 pm »
Northern Ontario rule of moose encounters: Don't brake, accelerate.

Thats the standard around the world is it not??
Lighten up Francis.....

Northernridge

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 05:31:30 pm »

Ever fish Lac Seul?

No, I'm not much of a fisherman. We hunt a large forestry area well up Graham Road...if that rings a bell.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 05:49:17 pm »

Ever fish Lac Seul?

No, I'm not much of a fisherman. We hunt a large forestry area well up Graham Road...if that rings a bell.

Amazing area, past Brightsands? I head there are many washouts now. Fack....I miss the north.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 06:25:09 pm »

Ever fish Lac Seul?

Amazing area, past Brightsands? I head there are many washouts now. Fack....I miss the north.

You and me both... North Bay boy here. Not all that far North, but still has a certain charm you can't find anywhere around here.
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 07:24:32 pm »
Article was great for a laugh...poor Meese.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 08:10:33 pm »

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2013, 12:03:49 am »
This is another challenge to the claim that skilled drivers are at no additional risk when speeding.

The Mobileye systems probably can warn of large animals.  Since they detect pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists, cars and trucks, I don't see why they would not detect a moose.

They can be installed on pretty well any car, so you don't have to wait for the trickle-down technology.  I have a Mobileye C2-270 and am having it installed next week.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2013, 09:29:05 am »
This is another challenge to the claim that skilled drivers are at no additional risk when speeding.

The Mobileye systems probably can warn of large animals.  Since they detect pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists, cars and trucks, I don't see why they would not detect a moose.

They can be installed on pretty well any car, so you don't have to wait for the trickle-down technology.  I have a Mobileye C2-270 and am having it installed next week.

I can't see that working for large animals on the side of the road behind trees and bush that suddenly run out onto the road when they are startled by the car.

Northernridge

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2013, 09:59:23 am »

I can't see that working for large animals on the side of the road behind trees and bush that suddenly run out onto the road when they are startled by the car.

I've been told (by family and friends who are cops around Thunder Bay) that this is very often what happens...the moose run on to the highway from your periphery. Even attentive drivers are at high risk. The moose arrives at the point of impact at the same time as you do so you can't see them in front of you because they are not there yet. You may not think so but they can move very fast.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2013, 10:06:45 am »

I've been told (by family and friends who are cops around Thunder Bay) that this is very often what happens...the moose run on to the highway from your periphery. Even attentive drivers are at high risk. The moose arrives at the point of impact at the same time as you do so you can't see them in front of you because they are not there yet. You may not think so but they can move very fast.

Exactly how it happens. I have been lucky on a few close calls with no time to react. Logging roads are brutal as there is minimal clearing along the sides.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2013, 10:29:29 am »
^ I agree

I've had two close calls over the years. Once the moose passed in front of me from right to left and was in the other lane as I passed. The second time I saw him on my right out of the corner of my eye as I passed. He was crossing behind me when I looked in the mirror.  I both cases, if the timing had been slightly different, I probably would have hit him. 

I think the best answer is "slow down" (especially at night).  If nothing else the force of the collision will be less.