Author Topic: Daughter wants a small hatchback for her first used car. What to buy?  (Read 10095 times)

Offline ThePointblank

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota RAV4
I will add the Nissan Versa. Roomy, decent to drive, and fairly reliable. Minor fit and finish issues with the interior with the last gen though.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Might as well add the Elantra Touring as well.

Great vehicle, great value.  Didn't add it before because he mentioned hatchback... And it's a small wagon. But hey, even better...

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
Daughter wants a small hatchback for her first used car. What to buy?
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2015, 09:39:56 pm »
IMO, the ET blurs the lines better wagon and hatch. It was a good suggestion.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
I wonder how much a Nissan Cube used would be, or a Scion for that matter.  I would stay away from anything Suzuki.  If I was shopping for this price range I would probably go with the Fit.  But if I was shopping for my child I'd probably try and get them into a Volvo C30.  There's a few out there for under $10,000 and they have been fairly reliable, plus ultra safe in crashes.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
I will add the Nissan Versa. Roomy, decent to drive, and fairly reliable. Minor fit and finish issues with the interior with the last gen though.

I was going to mentiona the Versa, but then noticed you already had.

I recently went through a round of shopping when looking for a car for my boss' daughter (I'm kinda like his used car consultant, as well as his employee, helped him buy his truck).  We ended up getting a Versa hatch for $4000.  I found they're actually pretty decent little cars, larger than most cars in its class, and typically a little cheaper to buy than a Fit or Yaris.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
I wonder how much a Nissan Cube used would be, or a Scion for that matter.  I would stay away from anything Suzuki.  If I was shopping for this price range I would probably go with the Fit.  But if I was shopping for my child I'd probably try and get them into a Volvo C30.  There's a few out there for under $10,000 and they have been fairly reliable, plus ultra safe in crashes.

nice vehicle, but insurance is crazy!  as they call it a coupe, 2 doors!

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
Fit

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
Another vote for the Fit here. Best-in-class since it's introduction here: good fuel economy, unbelievably practical, extremely reliable, safe, and even reasonably fun to drive.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Fit or Yaris
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
Golf.  The end. ;D

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline stevek

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
matrix is the most solid car on the road in this category. Better ride than the ones in a smaller category like Fit Yaris Versa. When i bought mine I checked the rear cargo area compared to Hundai, Kia and Ford Focus hatchbacks, Matrix had a higher compartment, this bigger, and its hard plastic floor was more rugged than the others. Also same floor forms the back of the back seat, so when you fold down the rear seats it becomes a nice size cargo area with one continuous hard plastic floor.
05 Pontiac Vibe, 02 Acura 1.7EL (both passed on to kids), 03 CRV, '12 Civic (wife's)

ltruong

Re: Daughter wants a small hatchback for her first used car. What to buy?
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2015, 04:26:17 pm »
Older Golf Diesel.  Besides replacing Struts and CV joints once in a while, they are pretty reliable.   Buy why buy a hatchback when you can buy a wagon!

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2009-volkswagen-jetta-wagon-tdi/1083150950?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/vw-jetta-wagon-tdi/1079198450?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 04:30:19 pm by ltruong »

Offline TheFordGuy

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-3
  • Even though we already got one.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Lincoln MKX, F150
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2015, 02:56:33 pm »
So my daughter will be getting her license in August. I said I would help her buy her first used car and pay half. She's responsible for gas and maintenance. She's short so wants a small car so she feels more comfortable and for fuel economy and a hatchback for maximum versatility (I didn't raise any stupid children, LOL ;D). Budget is around 8 - 10 k total. Automatic transmission and reliable.

My shortlist so far is:

Honda Fit
Toyota Matrix
Pontiac Vibe - a Matrix in disguise
Suzuki SX4
Chev Spark/Sonic

Not sure what else I should be considering. I would like her to have awd for better winter safety but a fwd with winter tires should suffice.

She has added the new VW Beetle (the old new VW Beetle?) and the Mini as she thinks they're cute. I think they're probably ticking time bombs for reliability. Am I wrong?

Any other suggestions? Certain years I should be wary of?

Thanks in advance for your help

Would a used Ford Fiesta be considered? I feel it qualifies based on the pre-mentioned criteria. And specifically with the Fiesta the price will likely fit into your requirement as well! If you need more help don't hesitate to ask!

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2015, 03:08:32 pm »
My Mazda 2 has been flawlessly reliable and fun time drive. I see a few on Kijiji in your price range. I haven't driven the automatic but I'll bet it dulls the acceleration but any other car in the class will too. Its an uncomplicated car that should be reliable, cheap and easy to fix.

example - http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/2011-mazda-mazda2-touring-hatchback/1091427820?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

This one is super cheap (and the best colour :) )

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/red-deer/low-kms-2011-mazda2-hatchback/1084083186?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2015, 03:18:09 pm »
I've driven an automatic 2. Doesn't feel terribly slower than a manual 2 and still has that sling a go kart into a corner fun factor.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2015, 10:09:11 am »
The Mazda2 tranny is much more reliable than the issues that is plagued with Ford's powershift transmission.  Neighbour returned his Fiesta at a loss due to this problem, it was reprogrammed 3 times (Ford employee too!).  Bought a Fusion instead.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2015/ford-fiesta-focus-transmission-lawsuit.shtml

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Daughter wants a small hatchback for her first used car. What to buy?
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2015, 01:23:16 pm »
Guy at work bought a powershift Focus, sold it a few months later. That transmission was just horrid.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2015, 06:54:39 pm »
Gently used Smart Fortwo Electric Drive.  Fun and fast little car, the most easy to drive commuter ever, and costs pennies to run.
Seen them on autotrader for $13K.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2015, 08:29:26 pm »
Guy at work bought a powershift Focus, sold it a few months later. That transmission was just horrid.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

+1...I have a good relationship with my local Ford dealer and the senior mechanic said to avoid the Fiesta/Focus with the power shift transmission. They are a nightmare.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2015, 10:42:21 pm »
Dark horse suggestion -- 2005 Suzuki Aerio with or without AWD.  Had one from 2005-2013 (though it spent 4 years in storage from Sept 2008 - Aug 2012; but emerged from storage in great shape after oil change, new battery, and a fuel system clean-out).  Compared with similar-vintage rust-riddled Mazda 3s in the Ottawa region, almost all of the Aerios (from the first - 2002 - to the last - 2006 sedans) here are practically rust-free.  One of the most under-appreciated cars ever sold in Canada... As they are now orphans, prices should be low.  Servicing and parts availability may be a concern though...
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...