Author Topic: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset  (Read 2313877 times)

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
Re: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset
« Reply #640 on: May 04, 2015, 11:21:23 am »
Some places recommend customers return to check after X km.

I think it might be 1000 or 500 at Costco.

It's 40 km.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #641 on: May 04, 2015, 11:27:11 am »
Actually I do check the wheel lug nut torque again after a drive that includes the following:

1. Brief highway run at 130km/h.
2. Speed bumps
3. Low-speed (50km/h) lane change manouever.

I've never had an instance where the tightness varied after the drive but it's still in my procedures......
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #642 on: May 04, 2015, 11:28:18 am »
Call me skeptical of human beings in general, but I always check every single lug nut/stud immediately when I get home when wheels are mounted by someone else, and retorque if necessary. If I'm able to be at the shop (e.g quick tire mounting), I will periodically peek thru the window while my car is being serviced to oversee the process. Once, a shop used an air gun to overtighten the studs on one of the wheels (I couldn't loosen with my torque wrench) and I was back within 24h to politely ask that they do the job properly.

I've changed enough wheels on my own vehicles to realize that "stuff happens".   The proper procedure is to drive a few km and then recheck the torque, but nobody does.    I've twice had wheels I know I tightened down with a torque wrench come loose after a few heat cycles.

I once did a tire changeover on my car just before my sister-in-law and her husband came to our place to house sit while we went on vacation. After a week of driving my car, they took it to a shop because of a nasty vibration. The shop found one lug nut completely missing and the other three only finger tight.

I felt really bad, thinking I must have forgotten to torque that one wheel. So, six months later when I did the changeover again, I made sure to triple check that all lug nuts were torqued properly. And guess what? I was driving on the highway a while later when I noticed a vibration. Yup - lug nuts were loose.

So, always a retorque at around 100 kms for me now. Always.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #643 on: May 04, 2015, 11:37:03 am »
40km?  LOL, so around the block haha

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #644 on: May 04, 2015, 11:38:44 am »
I wonder if you are not getting the wheel fully seated and tightening in a star pattern?  I've never had them loosen up after properly torquing.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #645 on: May 04, 2015, 11:40:26 am »
Uncooperative Accounts Payable departments   >:(

Sigh.....daily problem for me. The worst are contractors that work for the government......  >:(  ::)
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #646 on: May 04, 2015, 11:45:44 am »
Getting some new windows fitted.   1st one last Monday just went it with no problems.  The next part is three windows, 2 openers and a big ( 5' square) fixed pane on a bay window that was added to the house 20 years ago or thereabouts.

Contractor starts to take the window out and finds that all the wood structure has rotted away over the years.    The installer is a competent guy and has freed up 4 days to do this...or rather his boss, the company owner has freed him up.  Soooo we will have a dark plywood covered living room for a week. BUT we will then be good for years.  For those who know about these things it looks as if the caulk and sealing at the bottom of the fixed pane has been leaking for some time and it might have been inevitable that it would rot sooner or later.

Oh well...
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: May 04, 2015, 11:48:40 am »
IMO, all shops will occasionally drop the ball. It's how they respond that is the important part.

A few years ago we went on a road trip right after the car had a rad flush done at CT. We only got a few blocks when the temp guage shot into the red and foul-smelling steam began billowing out from under the hood so I pulled off the road and popped the hood. When the steam cleared I found the rad cap was loose! Luckily no damage was done. CT apologized and gave me a free oil change but Geezus, how hard is it to put a radiator cap back on?   ???
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #648 on: May 04, 2015, 11:52:23 am »
The worst AP we've dealt with are certain Brazilian companies, mining and breweries.  They find every excuse to not pay.

'Your shipment is on Receiving Hold, so we can't pay the invoice.'
Why is it on Receiving Hold, your people signed for it?
'We don't know, you'll have to clear it up'
Umm, no, it's your people who have it on hold, they never told us about it, or told us why, we'll just put you on Shipment Hold until you're current with your AP.

Wish I could put things on hold.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #649 on: May 04, 2015, 11:53:51 am »

This could also be a separate thread topic. Some of the hoops we've had to jump through to comply with US headquartered clients... :P

Been in court once in 25 years to collect on a bad debt and won and even got paid! ($12k).

Lifetime tally on uncollected bad debt is about $95k...clients went broke in every case...we were far down the priority creditor list.

Here I am in May and one company owes me $32k already in 2015. I'm just a one man show here  :P

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #650 on: May 04, 2015, 12:53:50 pm »
The worst AP we've dealt with are certain Brazilian companies, mining and breweries.  They find every excuse to not pay.

Umm, no, it's your people who have it on hold, they never told us about it, or told us why, we'll just put you on Shipment Hold until you're current with your AP.

Most of my SBO friends clain the worst AP to deal with is with a large local (large for NB anyway) company that likes to hold off paying their bills for 90 days.  :P

Northernridge

« Reply #651 on: May 04, 2015, 01:00:44 pm »

This could also be a separate thread topic. Some of the hoops we've had to jump through to comply with US headquartered clients... :P

Been in court once in 25 years to collect on a bad debt and won and even got paid! ($12k).

Lifetime tally on uncollected bad debt is about $95k...clients went broke in every case...we were far down the priority creditor list.

Here I am in May and one company owes me $32k already in 2015. I'm just a one man show here  :P

>:( We finally received payment last week for a 7 month old invoice from a current client that otherwise pays on time...this one just got wrangled in their corporate bureaucracy...they didn't even have an objection.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: May 04, 2015, 03:10:21 pm »

Most of my SBO friends clain the worst AP to deal with is with a large local (large for NB anyway) company that likes to hold off paying their bills for 90 days.  :P

I know exactly what you mean, they are in fact one of our top 10 customers.  I won't tell you what our terms are with them, because everyone would be jealous, and want to know how we did it.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #653 on: May 04, 2015, 03:30:24 pm »

I know exactly what you mean, they are in fact one of our top 10 customers.  I won't tell you what our terms are with them, because everyone would be jealous, and want to know how we did it.
When do you give the CEO's firstborn back then?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: May 04, 2015, 03:33:00 pm »
I wish that I could implant a bug in my files that would self delete unless I sent him them code after 30 days  :)

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #655 on: May 04, 2015, 03:37:57 pm »
In 30 days you pay this...in 60 days you pay THIS...in 90 days you pay THIS

;D

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: May 04, 2015, 03:46:46 pm »
Actually, I was once told by their head of Purchasing that, 'you know what the payment terms are going to be like, so make sure you build in some financing costs to your price.  Just never, never, never, show it or say you do it.'

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #657 on: May 04, 2015, 03:53:44 pm »
Actually, I was once told by their head of Purchasing that, 'you know what the payment terms are going to be like, so make sure you build in some financing costs to your price.  Just never, never, never, show it or say you do it.'

Haha, so ridiculous.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: May 04, 2015, 05:12:51 pm »

haha...so true. I always give an "all-in" cost and never surprise a client with admin, computer, or other fees.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #659 on: May 04, 2015, 08:17:42 pm »
Phone spam from either Westjet or Mariot.

"You have been picked from a billion people and we want to give you a prize...Now press 1."

The all seem to be the same format but this is what bugs me the most and it has to be illegal.

The phone number that displays is either somebody's or expired. I now call back the display number and tell the people to stop calling me and to their surprise (or good liars) say they are not doing it.